Jehle's Vee Project

Well, sorry to say, I'm not using gold hardware. It's all chrome hardware. I have to agree that green and gold is a favorite combination of mine, even though I don't actually own a guitar like that.

The Nigerian Satinwood, at least these sheets that I have, have a tendancy to turn a nice amber yellow color when finished. Given that, it's so tempting to shoot for a cherry burst. I would really just need to focus on the transparent red bursting on the outside of the guitar once the first few clear coats are on. The head stock will probably be a solid transparent cherry.

I would also like to mention that I still have 4 sheets of this veneer left. I get to make 2 more guitars with the same stuff. B) Mr. Satinwood they call me. :D

<edit>

I would like to mention about constructing the neck that I would tell anyone that building a neck is not hard. Building a neck is tedious. There's a huge difference. I've spent a lot of time sanding, scraping, widdling, sanding again, and futzing with this neck. None of it was hard. Each step just took a lot more time than I thought it would. Tedium. Anyone else feel the same way?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn...I'll buy the body and neck off of you right now for $300 :D It's pretty much at its last steps before being a right-handed guitar forever, when I want it to be lefty!

The more I look at it, and the quality of the veneer, the more I want you to stain it a darker brownish-gold color, and bind the body. It would look amazing that way...but would probably need black hardware to give a nice contrast to the body wood, chrome wouldn't help.

Amazing stuff, I know the first thing I build from scratch will be a neck, probably next summer I'll work on a custom one. The symmetrical design must have made it alot easier eh? Sculpting a strat or similar shape would be a bitch!

Damn...I'll buy the body and neck off of you right now for $300 B) It's pretty much at its last steps before being a right-handed guitar forever, when I want it to be lefty!

The more I look at it, and the quality of the veneer, the more I want you to stain it a darker brownish-gold color, and bind the body. It would look amazing that way...but would probably need black hardware to give a nice contrast to the body wood, chrome wouldn't help.

Amazing stuff, I know the first thing I build from scratch will be a neck, probably next summer I'll work on a custom one. The symmetrical design must have made it alot easier eh? Sculpting a strat or similar shape would be a bitch!

Bwah ha ha ha! :D Sorry, not for sale right now.

It will have binding on the body, so no worries there. White PVC binding will go around the top edge of the body. I had my doubts about the white truss rod cover, but after thinking about the white binding, it sort of made sense to do it that way. It'll be more coordinated looking.

I don't think that sculpting the Strat type head stock would be any different actually. Once the shape is roughed out and square, it's a simple matter of gently sanding and tweaking the curves until they feel right. One neck doesn't make me a pro by any means, but in my mind this was THE hardest thing in the world that I could have ever done. And save a few small details that I know how to do well, it's done!

Thanks for all the positive comments on the veneer everyone. The Satinwood has a life all its own when it's finished. I don't know of that many guitars that use it. It's not rare or endangered according to what I've read. I just really like the look of the bold flame that it has.

The neck is done! Frets installed, filed, neck profiled, nut glued.

wow thats one beutifull neck ,especially the veneer!!

Is that a ebony or rosewood fretboard , i like dark fretboards since so many guitars have maple or rosewood and that makes it a bit special

What finish? I would say blueburst like GF's strat , but it won't go with your gopld hardware, so how about a green ( going from very light in the middle to dark around the edges , that will make that veneer stand out!

I saw this picture of a "custom shop V" and I think the gold/green combination isn't that great. but maybe jehle's V might just turn out better B) (any bursts/color's is good for me anywayz the maker likes it himself!!)

ps. been away for 3 days and look what i missed :D

The neck is done! Frets installed, filed, neck profiled, nut glued.

wow thats one beutifull neck ,especially the veneer!!

Is that a ebony or rosewood fretboard , i like dark fretboards since so many guitars have maple or rosewood and that makes it a bit special

What finish? I would say blueburst like GF's strat , but it won't go with your gopld hardware, so how about a green ( going from very light in the middle to dark around the edges , that will make that veneer stand out!

I saw this picture of a "custom shop V" and I think the gold/green combination isn't that great. but maybe jehle's V might just turn out better :D (any bursts/color's is good for me anywayz the maker likes it himself!!)

ps. been away for 3 days and look what i missed :D

I have the color combination in mind, and it's going to be special for a number of reasons. I've changed my mind several times, but I keep coming back to a vintage cherry burst. There's going to be plenty of white binding and there's that white truss rod cover.

With all that red and white, it reminds me that Christmas in only a few months away. There's going to be some interesting Christmas cards going out this year. B) Somehow, in my warped mind that all makes sense, and without any more mental of an idea than that, vintage cherry burst is the target at the moment. :D

Had a really good weekend making sawdust. The pickup cavities are routed, the neck holes predrilled and the string through holes are drilled.

I've added the PVC binding to the top and I've also got the truss rod cover shaped (all by hand with sand paper and an XActo knife).

Here's the guitar as it looked this morning... The control cavity gets done next and then it'll be time to dry fit everything before the finishing step. Almost there....

binding1.jpg

binding2.jpg

It's going to be awesome! Beautiful job! How come there's no pictures from the work shop? You know, in progress pictures? That would be interesting as well.

I actually have a lot more pictures and stuff on the build. I just have not posted it all. :D

I have actually video taped a large portion of the build too. There's no way to compress it all down to make it reasonable to stream on the internet (I tried), but it has been interesting to watch the playback and actually see where I was making a mistake. That will be worth its weight in gold for the next build because I will know more about the mistakes that I've made and where to avoid them.

Looks great Jehle, I don't like the finish you are going but it's just a matter of taste and it's your guitar. but must admit that the venner looks sweet!

That's okay. The finishing step usually takes on a life of its own. I've never finished a guitar in the way that I first imagined it yet. It is almost as if the guitar wants to look a certain way in the end and I just have to watch for it to happen.

Hee Hee Hee. Fortunatly "India" is a girl and doesn't spray. I wanted to show more of the process of the cover plate. The process is very simple with a large part of the help coming from the scroll saw.

pg4104.jpg

Once the shape was rough cut, I just needed to sand the edges to get the lines straight, and to make the curves nice and even. I used my Swiss harm-me knife to remove the burrs and to clean the edges. It's all done by hand, but it looks better than some machine made pickguards I've seen.

pg4106.jpg

pg4107.jpg

pg4108.jpg

Building a guitar is not hard. Building a guitar is tedious.