Jehle's Vee Project

Looks great Jehle! Can't wait to see her with the finish on. No doubt you're just a bit excited to see it too, haha.

You have no idea how excited I am about the guitar coming together. I really only need to drill holes for the pickup wires and that's it!

The only thing left is to sand and spray (paint, not kitty pee).

I'm :D

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, a carrie V with that veneer would be out of this world! I gotta say, I love how this is coming. It's got tons of class, with just a touch of the wild side!

So, what are the electronics gonna be like? And when are these things for sale? :D

Well, the electronics are going to be fairly standard. High output humbuckers, one volume, two tone, and a 3 position toggle. Nothing fancy.

As for which humbuckers to put in it, I'm not sure. I have a total of 6 humbuckers in my box of parts at the moment. One of those is cream colored so that one is out. The other 5 are all black.

I changed my mind on the knobs too. I just happened to have a black toggle and 3 black speed knobs. With all that black, it just makes sense to have the all black pickups too. It's another chrome and black guitar with white binding. B)

I started experimenting with some scrap yesterday to get a feel for how the color will look over the Satinwood veneer. In short, the vintage cherry burst was just plain awful.

But, what did turn out surprisingly well, is just a plain transparent red finish. I've uploaded an animated GIF of the scrap that I finished. It's still in the early stage of the finish, but it'll give you a good idea for how the grain moves with the light. This is why I like Satinwood so much. It comes to life when polyurethane hits it!

Transparent Red Satinwood Finish (450k)

Comments on the look are encouraged.

Go for it Bill! No doubt there are at least a million good chioces for your finish and this is one of them. No doubt you'll do a great job and it will be a great looking guitar no matter what you choose.

Save yourself some headache and expense by using what you have already and jump on it right now! Come on man, I want to see! I have no patience at all...

Actually I've tried about 5 different things at this point. Here's a piccy of the experiments. I sure am glad that I have all these scrap pieces around. :D

testcoat.jpg

From top left to bottom right:

1) Grainfilled black with transparent red (yuck)

2) Just transparent red (just below that, and what you see in the animation)

3) Cherryburst (now my favorite)

4 & 5) Cherry stain (top part of scrap) and Oak stain (bottom part of scrap) and then covered with transparent red.

Thanks for the input guys. It's very much appreciated.

I like the faded cherry type finish, and never enjoyed a burst on a V. It ruins the vibe for me, of what a V represents and the vibe it should have. I think making a V elegant has nothing to do with a burst, its how sleek you make the hardware, and the way you match the colors. A deep red stain with no grain fill over Gold Hardware would be mouth-watering.

Have another piece of scrap you can grain fill with red (darker) and then shot the transparent red over? I thinkyou should sand the black grainfiller a little more so it won't over power the red, it will make it look better!

I said it before I don't like bursted V's, but if that rock your boat, go ahead!

• 2 weeks later...
is it just my eyes decieving me or does the neck not look tapered?? B)

Curtis

It's your eyes. :D The neck is tapered. I have no clue what the measurements are (sure I could get a ruler but that means I have to, like, get up).

According to the plans, right here beside me (see I don't have to get up for those), the heel end of the neck is near 2.1", and that tapers down to 1.8" (which is probably too big compared to the actual nut).

I was a little hesitant to shoot the whole top red. I never could get the black stain to work good enough. The grain is still visible, only just a little more subtle. Hey, it's my first transparent finish, so it's good on those terms.

That's a really nice red...I hate red. :D But that's really nice!

It's very Sammy Hagar looking IMHO. I'm a big Hagar fan so it's nice to have that association come to mind.

I'm also happy to hear the positive response from everyone on the finish. I was really worried about this one. It's a V, so it needed to have a finish that was hot looking. Two more coats of clear went on this morning. I'm about to start polishing the neck next. I think it needs just one more coat of clear before I can say it's ready though.

With the long weekend coming up, I may have this thing in the assembly stages by Monday. That would rock.