Design Your Own Guitar | Contest

This sounds pretty interesting.

Guitar World and Fender Musical Instrument Corporation are offering you, dear reader, the chance to design your own guitar and have it judged by three hard rock icons-Tony Iommi, Joe Perry and Tom Morello. From the entries, one winning design will be built to spec by the Fender Custom Shop.

www.guitarworld.com/contests

I noticed that. I have a few problems with the contest in general. It seems like you loose the rights to the design by submitting it. I may be wrong about that, but at first glance, that what it seemed like.

I also didn't really care for Fender building the guitar. Don't get me wrong, I love Strat's and Tele's. I play them. But, why would I want someone else to build "my" guitar. It sort of takes the fun out of the whole idea.

My 2 cents

Seems dodgy. But there MUST be someone out there without the will to just build it themselves, and who would never try to market the design otherwise.

In other words, there IS a target demographic for the contest, regardless of whether or not Fender gets the clearest benefit from it.

Greg

I noticed that. I have a few problems with the contest in general. It seems like you loose the rights to the design by submitting it. I may be wrong about that, but at first glance, that what it seemed like.

Hmmm... while I have little doubt that Fender intends to do exactly that, I can't find where it says that in the rules, unless in some roundabout way, they expect that it comes from the "from any and all claims or damages" bit...

This looks to be nothing more than a thinly veiled fishing expedition where the angler (Fender) figured out how to actually make the fish just jump in the damned boat.

They're probably not out to steal just ONE idea, but ALL ENTRIES.

They're looking for free fish, you wanna jump in their boat and hand over your best ideas for squatto, be my guest, I'll just watch thanks. :D

I think Drak has a good point. They might be looking for new ideas to freshen up the Fender production line.

Did I miss something in the copy. It doesn't say that they will build the guitar for the winner. It just says that they build the winners guitar.

Hell, I can run the same contest! Send me your best designs and I will build (myself) the winning guitar. Winner gets an email of congratulations and a virtual pat-on-the-back. That should be more that enough! Right!

I think tons of people have spent tons of time ripping off fender ideas and making it them selfs. Its only fair to give them an idea or 2 of yours. Kinnda like paying them back.

but, it is a scam.. and i wouldnt give my best design to them by any means. (probley wouldnt win anyways :-p)

it never actually says it will be built for the winer
5. Prizes: The winner will have his design built by the Fender Custom Shop....

NO, read closer! It says that the winner will have the design built by fender. For whom, it does not say. It will be built for the general public, but never does it say that the winner will have his or her design built and then one given to the designer!

I actually posted this a while back.......

i was thinking of submitting something really outragesous, and since its built buy the builders specs, so that must include finishing, right?

have my name inlayed on the 12th fret

Curtis

For grins and giggles I submitted a design to this contest (not one that I actually want to have built) with all of the specs and stuff supplied, but if they followed the design and specs, the thing would weigh about 20 lbs. and sound like a dead rock, with the headstock being impossible to machine manufacture. :D

Will have to see if it shows up in any of the future GW mgazines. B)

As far as those that would seriously submit a design, I picture those up and coming youth rockers with delusions of grandeur and not a whole lot of money or experience or common sense! :D

Then again, maybe we all will be surprised. :D

Dragyn B):D

draw up an SG or LP lookalike and send it in.

Their "official rules" are very brief, and don't make any mention of entries becoming property of Fender and/or Guitar World (or its parent company).

If you submit a design, make sure you have it clearly marked with your copyright ownership (© 2004 [your name]) and/or a trademark statement like this one:

This distinctive guitar body and headstock shape are under trademark seal, and any use of these designs are expressly prohibited without first receiving written permission from the [your name].

Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved by [your name].

That way, if they build it without consulting with you first, you can sue them. It might not be a bad idea to send a copy of the design to yourself via registered mail (then keep it unopened) to establish the creation date. (Also known as the 'poor man's intellectual property registration.')

Last time I looked a Copyright costs $20 and a Trademark cost $250. For a little more than the cost of a "poor man's trademark" (registered mail costs around 10 USD) you could register your own Copyright.