wood cuts for bodies

well there is a wood dist. service here in memphis that is going to sell me a piece of honduras mahogany for 43 dollars that is just right to build my guitar.

In my area, mahogany is also the easiest "flavor" to obtain in big enough pieces, good thing is it also happens to be my favorite!

Gibson makes it's Les Paul out of 1 big chunk of mahogany, so you can't go wrong (assuming you like that kind of tone), of course it is topped by two bookmatched piece of maple, but the "beefness" of the tone and the sustain is quite impressive (there are other factors though: massive mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, angled headstock, short 24.75" scale, med-jumbo frets, covered humbuckers, TOM bridge, glued-in neck, etc)

there's also the center line issue.... having that glue joint is great cause it also doubles as a centerline that will never sand or rub away during construction of the guitar. just something to consider..

2 or more peices when joined correctly is stronger, it will aslo not warp if your jointer's fence and table were perfectly 90 degrees and it didnt "cup" when lamintated.

If your going for solid colour then 2 or more peices are good in my opinon

by the way, i made mine out of 5 peices of black cherry

Curtis

well i guess for this project i will go with one piece. hey it never hurts to learn by mistakes and form your own opinions. i plan on just doing a solid bright red for the body. its gonna have a pickguard, so i guess it doesnt matter if i show off the figure of the top.