finally...

im finally finishing up that neck and building a body for it

thanks for all who helped when i posted my concept drawing. this is what i ended up with:

d78513f8.jpg

08fb61a4.jpg

yes, my original design :D

i like the way it came out, although cutting the 1.5" ash was quite a job to cut. i got alot of sanding to do around the edges, and then do the contours. let me know what you think

i like it B)

except please tell me the pickup postitions are rough scetches :D

as for sanding the insides of the cutaways finding someone with an oscilating spindle sander, will help emmensly (sure helped me) as sanding inside the cutaways with a block or by hand is a pain in the arse :D

but anyway good luck and i hope it turns out great, btw what color is it gonna be"

I wasn't going to say anything because since it's already cut there's no point in raining on someone's parade.

However, it's not routed or finished yet, so... :D

I'm not a big fan. It seems like the waist isn't narrow enough, and the way you have the neck and the pickup cavities on there it's WAY off-centre. Now, obviously those are things that you've already noticed and you never intended them to be precise anyhow, but I can't visualize what it's going to look like with the picture you have there. I can't help thinking of it as being crooked.

Another note about the waist-- it seems like the top and the bottom have significantly different curves to them, where I like to see them more of mirror reflections. Obviously the offset top and bottom horns will mean that the curves can't be absolutely identical, but they should at least marry up in a bit more balanced way.

The bottom bout, as a result (the 'hips' I guess?) are also asymmetrical. That's not always a bad thing, but in this case it's just "off" enough to be noticeable, but not quite skewed enough to be visionary and cool. The overall impression is that it was drawn freehand-- that's not inherently bad... but it looks like it's freehand that's MEANT to be symmetrical and just isn't.

Sorry for the downer opinion, I just want you to have a kick-ass guitar, because you've always shown yourself to be an enthusiastic builder.

Greg

Another note about the waist-- it seems like the top and the bottom have significantly different curves to them, where I like to see them more of mirror reflections. Obviously the offset top and bottom horns will mean that the curves can't be absolutely identical, but they should at least marry up in a bit more balanced way.

I would have to agree. The bottom isn't offset enough to look like it's meant to be asymmetrical. Instead, IMHO, it looks...off.

I think having the drawn on pickups and bridge is making it look more 'off' than it really is though.

Seems that the neck is lined up a bit too far to the right. I like the neck either right in the middle or just slightly more to the left.

Just my opinion as another novice builder though. Looking forward to seeing this develop. :D

you're right, gregp. after reading your comment i went out and burned that body and started work on a new one. ill keep you posted

well, you put a flame on it after all :D jk

I would have saved it, put it on a wall or somthing... maybe finished it and sold it to a person with slightly askewed vision.

you're right, gregp. after reading your comment i went out and burned that body and started work on a new one. ill keep you posted

Cool to see you seeking perfection!

It would suck to put a bunch more work into it and still not being happy with it.

At this point it's just past the 'block of wood' stage so not a big loss.

Made for a good learning experience so it still served it's purpose, eh?

Maybe there's still some usable scraps to experiment with finishes on. :D

I woulda made two steinberger bodies outta it. B):D

I dunno if you actually burnt it or not, but if you did, that's a Drak-tastic move. <chuckle> Not sure if I woulda. :D

lol im kidding

i think it looks fine, and heres why

first and formost, its mine, and as long as im happy with it there's no point in going into how its geometricly flawed

second, i know the "waist" is asymetrical, as well as the other curves. i think it makes it flow better and look more organic, if you will. symetry sucks :D

third: as for the pickups not lining up right (off center) i think i can fix that with some routing magic, plus it will look better with the contours there to even things out.

i apreciate all feedback, even the negative stuff. this is my first body and im proud of it for what it is B)

oh, and whats the story behind calling buning it "Drak-tastic"? is he pyro happy when it comes to guitars?

i think it looks fine, and heres why?

symetry sucks

Symetry is one of the basic major foundations of art, furniture, vehicles, architecture, and most importantly....nature. To go against symetry, or rather to deliberately go against "flowing designs" as you've done, is a brave move, and cant always be pulled off. You havent pulled it off in this case, in fact i would go as far as saying that thing is hideous.

Dude, throw that thing away, it is not centred, and just looks ... wrong. You dont seem to have a centre line on the body, which is the most important line you can ever draw. Without it, you are guessing.

Please post a pic of the plans your using. My bet is that your flying blind into this one.

oh, and whats the story behind calling buning it "Drak-tastic"? is he pyro happy when it comes to guitars?

He's famous for the "wall of death". Failed creations that haven't lived up to his high quality standards.

You either are a Drak guitar or firewood. He doesn't ever seem to 'make do' with what he has.

I'm glad to hear you didn't burn it. :D The unfortunate thing is that your response, therefore, was a sarcastic one-- to a guy who was the first one to be brave enough to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised if other people have withheld their opinion simply because they don't want to bother looking like assholes. I took the risk for the sake of helping you out.

Don't worry, though, I'm not pissed off or anything like that-- on the contrary, I still wish you the best of luck with each and every build that you do. I just don't think that starting with a foundation like this particular body is going to net you a faboloos (sic) guitar.

Cheers,

Greg

i think it looks fine, and heres why?

symetry sucks

Symetry is one of the basic major foundations of art, furniture, vehicles, architecture, and most importantly....nature. To go against symetry, or rather to deliberately go against "flowing designs" as you've done, is a brave move, and cant always be pulled off. You havent pulled it off in this case, in fact i would go as far as saying that thing is hideous.

Dude, throw that thing away, it is not centred, and just looks ... wrong. You dont seem to have a centre line on the body, which is the most important line you can ever draw. Without it, you are guessing.

Please post a pic of the plans your using. My bet is that your flying blind into this one.

its called the yin, and the yang. :D

I think he did alright, its not that bad for a first. I say finish it, and hold on to it for sentiment.. besides.. go for sound not looks.

i drew some center lines and remarked the left side, im gonna cut it againa and i think it'll come out ok, i may go get a pic here in a min.

Let's see, i wasn't exactly blown away with the first pic there, so i'm anxious to see you fix the the body shape a bit...

Im not talking about guitars specifically here, and its great to see so much feedback given to people in the search for perfection, but i would like to make a small contribution :D

Nothing at all against the post of Perry, i respect his opinions, and I agree with his comments about the fundamentals of design, however I would like to re-enforce for the benefit of other people jumping into designing things, BALANCE is the key. Like what perry was saying, its this basic concept that flows through all types of design. Start with a grid, or at least some centre lines and work out from there, but always try to maintain a balance. In more conventional... basic designs like urbansmurf has chosen symmetry is defintely important, however obviously followin symmetry to the letter in most cases would be really boring, so remember, if you want to stray off the beaten track, follow the basics.. maintain balance in whatever you design.

Groundbreaking designs dont necessarily come from breaking design guidelines... they come from following them in your own way - design isnt meant to be restricted by rules, so understand why the fundamentals are infact, fundamental to good design, and then let your creative desires take you the rest of the way B)

Just a few words of advice :D

- Dan