any ideas i need a digital camera

ansil

i am lookin for a digital camera to take some pics of my crap.. any ideas on what would be best.?????

Quite fond of my Fuji Finepix. Nice SLR sort of shape and functionality, which is great if you're used to SLRs.

SLRs be sweet, man.. :D

Anyway, I'm using a Canon A80 which I love.. It's a 3 mega-pixel with a good load of options besides the usual crappy Auto mode, much like the A60, if I'm not wrong.. It's got a good balance of functionality and simplicity.. If you're wondering about the picture quality, I've got pictures I took with it on my site.. B)

I've been looking for one for a few years now. But I'm too paranoid to make a decision. So I keep borrowing one from a friend, which is quite a hassle. I don't like the settings he has , so every time I borrow it (about 2 times a year for a few days), I have to read the whole manual, make notes about what settings he had, change the settings to what I want, then before I give it back, I have to set everything back.

I did come across two digital photography websites that had all kinds of reviews, even of older cameras. I can't find the site addys anymore, but you should do some searching. The reviews I looked at seemed pretty honest and of course pointed out good things about the particular camera, but also pointed out bad things, even on the cameras where the reviewer really liked the camera, but still had to point out a few quirks about it.

From what I read, it seems some of these cameras with high pixels, actually don't have a lens that's capable of working real well with that high pixel amount, or something like that.

I'm glad I found that out (by doing the research), because I'm more comfortable with not buying a camera with the most pixels.

My friend's camera has only 2 (maybe 2.5) meg pixel, but I can get really good close-up shots sometimes. It sucks for taking pictures of a whole room, tho.

All the pics on my web-site were taken with this camera. It's a Sony Digi-camcorder, that I only use the still photo mode, not the 8mm tape at all. It also requires a tri-pod for me to get the best pic I can with it. It also seems that it takes better pics with the camera plugged into a wall socket, than just using the charged battery.

I teach photography (you wouldn't know it from the pics i've taken of my guitars though, right?) so i've got me a big rig, but for a point and shoot the low end Canons and Olypmus mju stuff is pretty good, I don't think too much about the Nikon's until you spend big money......

dpreview.com is an excellent site as is photographyreview.com if you want to check out user reviews.

I'm sure someone will use that last pic as an avatar, as we have a lot of guys here who like pictures of what they'll never have :D

Thanks for the links: maybe those are the sites I had looked at, now I have them again. Since gas is so high, it might be cheaper to buy me a cam than to drive 10 miles to borrow my buddies everytime I need to take a pic.

ok gotta change my avatar now. lol thanks everyone i guess i will hit some more pawn shops..

I don't bother with most pawn-shops, as I have yet to see a good deal at one.

Ebay and digital cameras are often not a good idea. Newsgroups are full of threads about people buying a cam on ebay, only to get sent one that's defective.

Right now I'm looking at reconditioned/remanufactured digital cameras on the internet, sold by shops that have an honest return policy.

Some people look at reconditioned stuff as inferior, but my experience in working at factories making electronic equipment taught me that often the reconditioned stuff has been tweaked with more care, and with more time spent on it, than the high-speed operation going on in the usual assembly area.

I'm still using a Sony Mavica because no matter where I go or what computer I'm near I can load the photo's in without a cord or special software (they use a floppy for the images). While true you can't get 80 images on one of the floppys with the newer model you do get about 20 or so which is good enough for me.

whats a floppy drive?????