First attempt-allmost finished.

Around Christmas this last year I got snowed in for a week and figured I would give building a bass a shot. I learned a lot from the experience. I wish I had found this forum before I was so far into the project. I have learned a lot from the posts I have read here.

I modeled it around my B-Quad with a few mods. The one thing about the design that is kinda unique is the thickness of the fretboard. I wanted it to be extra high to allow for more room between the body and strings. It really makes it easyer to get my fingers in there for pop-in. I also went for a unique pickup config. Basslines Stingray and Quarter Pound P in the neck. Non-active with duncans active tone circuit. It plays fast, great sustain, light, a huge range of tone options, and it do growl with that Stingray heated up.

The body is Purpleheart sandwiched with Quilted Maple top & back. The neck is Purpleheart & Birdsey Maple stringers with two graphite rods and double acting truss and quilted maple veneer at the headstock. Hardware-Bridge is Shaller/roller, tuners are Shaller ultra lights, and the nut is bone.The inlay again was my first attempt. but I was happy with the results. Took a couple of days, but Dremel did most of the work.

Dscf0287.jpg

Dscf0291.jpg

Thanks fer lookin at my new toy, Fryguy

Yup, That is my first.

:D The first and my biggest mistake was not using any sort of drawing. I have and use CAD every day and it didn't click that I should draw up a set of plans and plot em out. After I read a couple of messages that refered to CAD on this forum and started drafting a few designs. I won't have to waste so much time making sketches an cross checking mesurement against my guitars.

Thanks for the responce, Fryguy

Dang, those post pop up fast and I type slow.

I weighs in at slightly over 8lbs. Strings and all.

:D That's just unbelievable to think it is your first build... That is spectacular by any standards!!! Boggs

Amazing first instrument!

Sorry about the pictures. I thought I added them to the post correctly. I will have to try to figure that out (they appear on my browser?).

Thank you for the feedback. I don't think its a GOTM, but its nice of you to say that.

The headstock was a victom of trial and error, not so much by design. Again lack of planning on my part. I pay very close attension to headstock design now. I guess the headstock is small and light..., technically improving the design (yah I meant to do that, NOT!!).

Again thanks all for takin a look, I will see if I can post up my two new projects. They are a bit more unique.

Fryguy :D

Thanks G.F.

Again it most definately is my first. I have started two new projects and I learned so much from the first my new projects are going much better. I guess I could look into the GOTM. To be honest I am very new and don't really know much about it. I did look at the past winners, and those projects looked fantastic. I didn't really think my bass was in the same legue. Not to say I am not happy with my work, if that makes sense.

Peace, Fryguy :D