Neck Thru help!!!!

I need help with a neck thru guitar. I totally suck at building guitar necks, and I don't have the time to make one. So, does anyone know a site that sells 17" or longer neck thru necks..........besides any custom luthiers. I've tried Ed Roman, but necks cost $400 !!!! I was going to buy one from Carvin, but the body length was only 15" and I need a body length of at leas 15" to 16"...............Thanks :D

• 1 month later...

...why not take the 15 inch carvin, route out a channel for it 15 inches, set it in, and be done with it? it'll be a "super super super super long tenon" or a neckthrough, whichever you wannac all it. i say you just do that, but that's just me...

and get some nice maple veneer (or cap fi that's what you're doing) and toss that on top...it'll work fine.

Carvin will often do custom options for you. For instance, they were willing to make me a 35" scale neckthru bass blank even though the advertised one is 34" scale. If they'll do something that major, chances are they'd be willing to throw on 2 more inches to the end of a blank. Just email them and find out!

why not just get a bolt on? i preffer a bolt on (even though it aint for me) and, why would you want to cut it in half already? just do a bolt on or set neck for it

Curtis

I am tired of the tone I get from Bolt-on necks, and I love the sustain from Neck-thru. I won't ever do Set-neck, as it has no tone. GLUE DOES NOT TRANSFER SOUND WELL. Set-necks are all wrong, i'll never use em.

But, I'll see what Carvin will do for me, thanks dude!!

I am tired of the tone I get from Bolt-on necks, and I love the sustain from Neck-thru. I won't ever do Set-neck, as it has no tone. GLUE DOES NOT TRANSFER SOUND WELL. Set-necks are all wrong, i'll never use em.

But, I'll see what Carvin will do for me, thanks dude!!

Remind me again, how the neck is attached in a neck thorugh? Or for that matter, how the fretboard is attached to the neck...?

You might want to refrain from incorrect, blanket statements when you're actually talking to people who know what they're talking about. That kind of Romanesque pap might wash on harmony central, but don't expect to get away with it on here.

Here we go again... :D . I've seen this issue discussed endlessly with pretty much the same results...nothing. And I kinda think that the only real way to find out exactly HOW MUCH difference in tone and sustain there is between/through glue joints, different wood species transitions and even non-homogenous wood grains is with very sophisticated measuring equipment. That said, I'm not at all sure the human ear can discern those differences all that much, especially after plugging in the distortion pedals.

Its all relative. Some setups, woods etc. WILL provide different tones and ranges of sustain, thats not saying one is "better" than another, just different. Lets end this right now without any further insults and rancor and say its a matter of taste. B)

Here we go again... :D . I've seen this issue discussed endlessly with pretty much the same results...nothing. And I kinda think that the only real way to find out exactly HOW MUCH difference in tone and sustain there is between/through glue joints, different wood species transitions and even non-homogenous wood grains is with very sophisticated measuring equipment. That said, I'm not at all sure the human ear can discern those differences all that much, especially after plugging in the distortion pedals.

Its all relative. Some setups, woods etc. WILL provide different tones and ranges of sustain, thats not saying one is "better" than another, just different. Lets end this right now without any further insults and rancor and say its a matter of taste. B)

It's not a matter of taste, it's a matter of logic. If glue is bad, then neckthroughs are worse than setnecks, given that they feature at least 3 times as much gluing surface as a standard mortise and tenon neck joint.

It's not a matter of taste, it's a matter of logic. If glue is bad, then neckthroughs are worse than setnecks, given that they feature at least 3 times as much gluing surface as a standard mortise and tenon neck joint.

but the logic behind a neck-thru is that the strings are anchored at both ends to the same piece of wood. there's no glue or bolt joint in between to mess up the vibrations.

but in reality, a well made guitar of any construction type will have enough sustain for any practical use.

but the logic behind a neck-thru is that the strings are anchored at both ends to the same piece of wood. there's no glue or bolt joint in between to mess up the vibrations.

Not necess-celery true for most neckthrus, that is, with TOM style bridge. :D The bridge mount studs actually straddle the neckthru piece and are mounted in the body wings. By coincidence, I'm currently in the process of building a neckthru with the center part wide enough (+ 4") to accomodate the bridge. So I WILL have the nut and bridge exclusively mounted on the same piece of wood. I'll see if there is any significant difference in sustain by comparing with my other neckthru which has a 2" wide center. Both guitar neck pieces are from the same stock Honduras mahogany, Both similar design (double cutaway) and identical hardware on each. But I'll be surprised if there is any significant difference.

a good set neck is just as great as a good neck through...and southpa is right...the t.o.m. straddles the neck....

i have built both...i really honestly don't know the difference anymore

jimmy page's sound is due to the way he sets up his equipment,not because gis gibson is a set neck

guess who else played gibson set necks all through the 80s....james hetfield....

Yeah I know that, but if Jimmy Page had played a Rogue Mini-Strat, he wouldn't have had that sound.....I know that the Plexi's had a big impact on Page, but it still wouldn't be the same if his guitar hadn't been a set neck. It would have been very similar just not the same..

Yeah I know that, but if Jimmy Page had played a Rogue Mini-Strat, he wouldn't have had that sound.....I know that the Plexi's had a big impact on Page, but it still wouldn't be the same if his guitar hadn't been a set neck. It would have been very similar just not the same..

i don't want to down you or anything...but i think with a little more time and experience you will change your mind about that

but the typical les paul sound is defined more by the mahogany and maple wood construction,pickups,and t.o.m. than by the set neck...and they also do not have a very tight neck joint,so they are not a good example of a good set neck

this is a set neck guitar i built with a pretty tight neck joint

pay no attention to my poor improvisational skills

You're pretty much right there, but as for the neck joint not being very tight, I'd say that has to vary from Les Paul to Les Paul. My neck joint is plenty tight, as is my dad's....

how do you know?you can't see underneath it,where the big gaps usually are

there used to be a picture of a les paul cut in half on the forum...i can't find it though

FWIW, Jimmy didnt only use a Paul. The first 1 1/2 Zep albums and all the yardbirds work was done on a Tele. He also regularly used a Gretsch 6120, vox 12, Fender 12, and strats. Houses of the Holy was recorded almost entirely with a strat and his Tele. Do your homework please.

Yeah, he's right glue doesn't transfer tone very well. That's why Jimmy Page's guitar sounds like crap. And that's why Gibson and Prs are the 2 top guitar companies around..... :D  B)

People like you, just anger me. PRS and Gibson are crap. Gibson is guilty of fake tops, thick finishes, huge heels, set-necks. PRS are guilty of thick finishes, over glued necks, PRS are caked and coated with finish. They have jack for tone. I will say that PRS is still choosing good wood to use, and the only good models PRS ever made were his Pre 1994 models. Since then, the neck heels have gotten bigger, and finishes have gotten thicker. Not to mention the price for an entirely factory made guitar. the only reason PRS is popular is because the way they look, not the way they sound. You think all the gay ass Nu-Metal bands that play em know anything?.................I hold my opinion, Set-necks are terrible for tone. Neck-thru also use glue, but heres the thing. The pickups are mounted to the neck, the bridge is mounted to the neck, and the tonality travels throughout the neck and parts of the body, which gives it a more crunchy tone, and more sustain. Set-necks, are glued right smack in the middle where the tone would travel to the neck. The neck and body are not sharing the tonal frequencies. the set-neck slows the tone down, and weakens it. Thats why I prefer a bolt on neck, nothing should be in between the neck and the body, not even paint!! If you want a good sound, the wood must be as one, not caked in glue..............Gibson and PRS are more prized and popular because they are expensive guitars, and they catch the eye. Well, price is'nt everything people. I would rather have a Jackson RR3 than a PRS any day.