Good spray can paint

I'd totally go with Dupli-Color. You can get it in both solid colors and the colors you find on a lot of newer cars with a fine metal flake in them, which I think look nice, especially under sparkly stage lights. B)

I would just use everything from the Dupli-Color system as far as primer, color and clear. That way you know it'll work together. I tried using Dupli-Color with regular spray paint and got lots of cracking and separation where one went on top of the other.

Lastly, just don't use the polyurethane that is meant for funiture. On my first guitar I used it and not only did it turn almost orange over the course of a year, but it also came off in big flakes. :D

Other than that, just go for it and have fun. Take your time too.

^^ Licht, they have both acrylic, and laquer, I just got back from AutoZone, were I got my paint for the squier and the epiphone and I got the truck, van & SUV one, its great, If you are painting your guitar don't use cheap paints, I just finish scrapping the heck out of the squier after finishing it with rustoleum vintage white, It had been about two weeks and the thing was still wet inside, then I used Krylon, worthless S**T, I had used duplicolor for my SUV and I used it for the guitar, what a difference...

The Reranch stuff is really worth the money. Dead-on repro of the finishes and easy to use. I did my guitar, "The Shredocaster" with their Copper Tone Metallic. I also used their grain filler, S and S, Primer and clear(at least one can). I finished the clear with the Deft stuff from Lowes. Check the In Progress and Finished thread if you want to see pics.

^^ Licht, they have both acrylic, and laquer, I just got back from AutoZone, were I got my paint for the squier and the epiphone and I got the truck, van & SUV one, its great, If you are painting your guitar don't use cheap paints, I just finish scrapping the heck out of the squier after finishing it with rustoleum vintage white, It had been about two weeks and the thing was still wet inside, then I used Krylon, worthless S**T, I had used duplicolor for my SUV and I used it for the guitar, what a difference...

Yeah the truck van and suv. same stuff I got. Acrylic. Apparently they make poly too.

Some (emphasis on some) Krylon is good stuff. The triple thick clear glaze is awesome. Krylon makes Duplicolor, so some of the regular stuff has to be good. :D

Thanks Guys! I've been wondering on the Deft what's in the darn can!!! Seems very few put what's in the can on the can....DUH!

I've seen the Plasti-Kote on the shelf but assumed it was poly due to the name.

Cool, cool, cool...get so much great info from you guys. :D

Brian

I'm in the UK, so have struggled to find the majority of the products that have been mentioned.

Having spent a good hour or so in B&Q trying to work out what were in the Plasti-Kote spray cans, and having asked, i took a chance and bought a can of Plasti-Kote Primer Super, Gloss Super and Polyurethane Varnish. Having scoured their website for further details, i realise that the varnish can't be used on painted surfaces.

Has anyone used these products, with any success? And can anyone in the UK recommend anywhere to purchase any alternatives?