Thoughts on floyd rose?

I have read alot about floyd rose trems and there seems to be alot of negative feedback about them. I want to know if I should put one into my guitar, theres alot of people saying they dont stay intune and the strings break easily, is this true?

How hard is it to change strings?

I will be getting original floyd rose (if any) as I dont want to risk with a lower quality replica and I dont want to have to buy special strings for the speedloader.

Please :D

Thanks

i prefer the wilkinson-type trem. but that's just me, due to my personal preference.

it's all just a matter of preference and/or playing style. if you think a floyd will best complement your playing style, then go for it.

theres alot of people saying they dont stay intune and the strings break easily, is this true?

not really true, in my experience.

How hard is it to change strings?

you'll get used to it.

I will be getting original floyd rose (if any) as I dont want to risk with a lower quality replica and I dont want to have to buy special strings for the speedloader.

that's great. but other brands are just as good. wait for the others to post. again, it's a matter of preference.

Well, do you play music that requires a dive-bombin' floyd?

This may sound like stating the obvious, but if you don't really have a need for one, then why build a guitar with one?

My guitars are set up very differently, and each one suits certain needs I want met for different types of music I play.

So, if you need a floyd-equipped guitar, then of course yes, have at it.

But if you're just tossing choices around in your head, then maybe you want to borrow a friends' floyd-equipped guitar for a week or so, then you will know.

I always pretty much know when building a guitar what niche I'm designing it to fill, it's part of the pre-planning stage. I know what I'm aiming for before I even start to build (usually...there are exceptions :D ).

If you are 'spoiled' (and I mean that in a good-natured way) with a TOM, you may freaking hate a floyd. There is a certain 'turf' that comes with having a floyd guitar, and it's not for everybody.

Try one out for an extended length of time before you go committin' that router. B)

And if you do get one to try out, CHANGE THE STRINGS ONCE AND TUNE IT UP to see if you have the patience for it.

And ask yourself a few questions about what kind of guitar it is that you want ( :D ) ... before you spend a lot of money on parts you might later regret buying.

I think guys get caught up in fancy woods and stuff sometimes instead of really concentrating on exactly what their 'dream' guitar consists of. Fancy woods and stuff are just one single area of the planning stage to building your dream axe. :D

I vote nay. This might not be true for all of them, but the one I have is hard to tune to the max. Just when you think you've gotten it perfect you start to play and it sounds horrible. In fact I can't say I've ever had it really in tune. I blame the locking nut. And if you rest your hand anywhere near it while you're playing it'll move and make your notes sound a little off-key. I suppose you could really crank down the tension until it doesn't move, but that would seem to defeat the purpose.

I think a lot of people like them just for the "look at me, I'm cool!" factor. You can get some great stuff out of them, but you gotta be good and most people aren't and will probably be unhappy with the way they work.

Of course my bad experiences (and those of others) may be just because of inexperiance with them. But that's something to think about- You'll be buying something that should probably come with a thick user manual and doesn't. :D

OFRs are the ONLY things out there with rights to be called a floyd Rose. Period.

Even the Ibanez Edge is built wrong. The knives are hardened steel inserts and the base is not the same. It is not heat treated, or even made from German steel. For that matter, Shaller who makes the OFR, cant even make a decent knockoff. If ya want a lo pro, get an OFR pro.

I need to post a piccy of mine. I have two original Floyds. Both are knackered beyond belief. I think I have really corrosive sweat because all the chrome is rusted off. The edges that ride on the posts are marred. Neiter of them would stay in tune at all if I used them. They would stick and be slightly flat or sharp depending on which way I used it.

If you have a chum that has an undamaged 80's Kramer with a Floyd, I'd dare say that they didn't play it that much.

I'll get some piccys up tonight.

You really need to think about whether or not you will be playing music that makes use of it. Don't let any of this nonsense about it being hard to change strings or it won't stay in tune bother you one bit. I'd also disagree with the comment that Schaller is unable to produce a good Floyd bridge - they actually have a very good product in my opinion. I don't really prefer the OFR or the Schaller floyd over eachother - I think each has it's own positives.

Just be honest with yourself about what type of music you want to play and go with it. I don't do much divebombing with my playing but I still try to put a Floyd on all of my guitars because I do like to use it for more subtle effects. Of course, I will use it for diving once in a while when I want to get out some frustration from the work day :D.

I played fixed bridge guitars (only) for my first 5 years playing, and then switched to Floyd's. I would never claim either is better than the other - they both have perfectly suitable places in the world of playing guitar.

In the end, you must never let yourself be swayed by what you think the masses are in favor of. You have to be honest with yourself and build what YOU want and don't worry about dissapointing or impressing anyone by the choices you've made.

One last thing - if you do decide to go with the Floyd, think aboiut using the hardened posts that stewmac sells. They aren't direct replacements (different dia.) but are great for new builds.

Well I need to add my two cents here also.

First I agree with Drak, when I design a guitar I have a specific purpose in mind for it. I'm not a big Floyd fan but there are times that I need an axe to dive bomb with so I built my own special super strat wanna be. the guitar was designed for one purpose, loud 80's hairband music and it does it well.

Now my opinions on OFR units, well I had an original one for years on a kramer, it was ok but never liked changing strings on it so this time I used the speedloader. The speedloader has got to be the best tremolo I've ever used for aggreive tremolo playing. it never goes out of tune, i never broke a string, it takes 5 inutes to change strings and tune them and yes you need to by certain strings but now ernie ball is selling them directly and the cost the same as a regular set.

Like I said, just my opinion :D

Sam

one thing i like over hardtails is that floyd equiped guitars seem to make bends easier, because the springs bend aswell as the strings, it just seems to have more of a loose feeling, i think it actually releives some of the tension compared to the same guitar with a hartail.

one thing i like over hardtails is that floyd equiped guitars seem to make bends easier, because the springs bend aswell as the strings, it just seems to have more of a loose feeling, i think it actually releives some of the tension compared to the same guitar with a hartail.

And that's the reason I don't like floyd's (or any wiggle stick for that matter). B)

On a hard tail you can do all sorts of crazy chicken pickin' stuff and everything stays in tune. Try a 2 or 3 string bend with a floating whammy bar and a note that should stay put goes flat because the bridge bends forward. :D

I don't know many chicken pickers that use 80's metal guitars. Could just be a coinkydink. :D

the weakest and most crucial element of the floyd is the post and when they begin to be worn out and eated by the edge of the tremolo, it wont return to the zero floating point and thats when you get sharp/flat note after using it.

hardened post is a must like daveq said !!!!

a well tune floyd rose type of bridge stays in tune for a long time and can take lots of abuse ...

:D

Ok its about time I say a few things about this as I posed the question.

The guitar Im aiming for is to have it as versitile as possible. I hace the electronics mostly sorted out and the shape of the body (apart from the thickness) sorted out aswel as the neck, fingerboard and headstock. I have the woods pretty much picked out. The fret wire picked out, the truss rod etc. I just need to decide on the bridge and nut and possibly tuners.

If I get a floyd I will user black grover tuners and a OFR locking nut. At the moment on my favourate guitar I have a TOM with a stop tail. I miss a trem though because I want to be able to get that sound. I figured that a OFR was the best trem around.

What are your thoughts on the TOM trem that they sell on STEW MAC but not sure. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailp...es.html#details

If I use this with locking tuners would it stay in tune and is there anyway to make them black?

What are your thoughts on the mustang tremelo?

What else would you suggest?

Thanks