Interesting old concept

Brian

Didn't the idea of slide in and out pickups happen about the same time Seymour Duncan had a modular amp? The amp had these boxes you could plug in and out to change the tubes out. You could pick and choose what pre and post gain sections you wanted.

Nowadays we have the Variaxe. So there's really no need for all that anymore.

Didn't the idea of slide in and out pickups happen about the same time Seymour Duncan had a modular amp? The amp had these boxes you could plug in and out to change the tubes out. You could pick and choose what pre and post gain sections you wanted.

Doesn't randall have a similar thing?

I remember a company called Shergold that made modules somewhat like that back in the mid-late '70's I think.

Mike Rutherford of Genesis was the only guy I ever saw actually playing one of them...

That is a very nicely done body tho...

was thinking of those guitars.

As I recall, Rutherford's guitar(s) took the idea even further, as it had separate body/neck combinations that could be added to each other.

Hard to explain it in text, but say the standard top guitar in a twin neck was a 12-string. the bottom instrument could be a bass, or a 6-string, or whatever. They clicked together, taking care of all the electrics at the same time.

Jack Shergold worked for Burns at one stage, I believe. The bass player in the 70's Mannfred Mann's Earthband also played a Shergold twin-neck - used to live opposite me here in south Wales. Pete Bowen - nice geezer.

I've though of that idea from time to time as most of us probably have.

Steinberger had a modle that the body was 2 poles and that pickup could be moved to any posision and changed/added in a few moments...

Anyone ever looked at an Ampeg Dan Armstrong model? The pickup is epoxy potted or something similar... And slides in from the side. the guitar has contacts that touch contacts on the pickup box... a simple idea that worked great. Only problem is that the big boys don't want you to be able to switch up on the fly... they want you to buy 3 guitars!