Church Bass

hey pal, you keep the D word to yourself , I let 'em flow...... :D Those laminates were designed on purpose - I know the general shape he's comfy with, now I just tweak it till I'm happy. if you look at the blackened pic, thats more what I'm going for , which has less of a noticeable bump on the bottom. and no - the bridge was just set in place all willy nilly for the pic - no measuring just yet..... or plans , or templates.. or final decisions B):D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 for Lincoln Brewster, he's a monster player - but every time I hear him sing, I can't help but think "boy band".

I think it works, but I would have gone with a Jazz body - just because I like the Jazz.

Stewey - no worries - I'd never re-shape to satisfy anyone but the recipient. :D

Erik - My brother is also a fan of the Jazz , which was my starting point for the body style. As a fellow "fan" - what do you think of the new revisions ?

IMG_0107.jpg

I spent some time today refining it and I ended up accenting the bump as opposed to doing away with it.

What do y'all think of the change? For the better or for the worse ?

I think you can make it work out fine, however I think it could use some more refining.

I cannot draw an egg, I swear to God. I can't draw anything. Years ago when I used to design guitar shapes, I would rely on all my templates and steal parts from them...a strat horn here, an Iceman curve there, an RG bottom here...and draw out everything in pencil on posterboard with a centerline in place, always with an eraser around...that's how I used to do it...and the smallest change can make such a big difference.

Tiny incremental changes would radically alter the look.

And it would usually take several days of doing that before I arrived at anything that really looked 'right'.

I'd hang the posterboard up on the wall for a few hours and see 'how it hung' before committing it to plywood.

So I think it's fine, but not 'done' just yet, more like a first draft of a final shape.

PS, bass players are strange folk anyway, maybe he'll like it just as is. :D

If it's any consolation, they're not nearly as strange as drummers...or even pan flute players... :D

Zamfir rules !

lolz.....

The shape is definitely in stage 1 in that pic... its starting to become what its going to be , but like Drak said, tiny incriments.

Muzz - the neck isn't antique wood, but its a pallet runner that I salvaged. Quarter swan with straight grain, My explorer held up fine, we'll see if it works for a Bass.

Here's some pics from yesterday........

IMG_0111.jpg

you can see the contours showing up slowly......

IMG_0112.jpg

I did o.k. routing the neck pocket, but it was too wide by a smidge. I added a little piece of wood to the neck heel to close the gap. A little finesse and it should be invisible to the naked eye.......

IMG_0114.jpg

There's the HS shape- no plan , freehand. I still have some refining to do here too, but for a fret-saw and a rasp, I'll take it ! Polishing to commence later.

IMG_0116.jpg

and thats it for now.... hopefully I can keep moving forward with this and it'll be finished within a month or two. My spare time right now is as rare as an honest human.........

• 5 months later...

Howdy, mates! B)

This one is for my brother, who has not ponied up a penny of dough for the parts... :D

He taught me how to play, so I'll build it for him anyway , but no funding + overtime at work = a long, drawn out build....

I'm back up n runnin tho - I've been cutting, rasping, sanding, clamping and routing my heart out for a few good days now. This bass, my bass and two guitars.....

Gotta love having a wife who encourages you to build more . :D

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta love building without a plan too !!!

I had a thought ... " why not make it a 22 fret bass instead of 24... he's more traditional anyway"...... :D

so I shortened the neck, had it all set together and checked the scale length.

Oh, yeah... the scale length.

B)

My bridge was now off the body by a few mm ..

So.....scrap the neck or the body ?

The body.

Neck is all fretted, inlayed and shaped.

The body...

So, here we are tonight...

Sapele with a bloodwood racing stripe :

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

He'll be getting a jazz SC and a kramer SC, 3 way V V T. pretty simple setup.....

Hoping to complete his along with mine. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a quick couple of pics... he's 98% wrapped up, just got one volume pot to install today and wire it all up.

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

The neck is a trap shape. I have permission to utilize the shape on personal builds, but I'm not licensed to use it in a commercial setting as of yet. Which works for me, since I don't sell my builds.......

I can say that it is incredibly comfortable to play! the little resting spots it creates for your thumb really feels nice. I will be using it on all my builds unless a traditional neck carve is needed. Props to Rick Toone for developing a very nifty innovation. :D:DB)

....and its a wrap.

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

I took it outside today for some pics before I send it off to him. Despite my mid-stream stuff up, I feel like it was a good outcome. It does have just a tinge of neck dive, and the action is up a hair more than I'd like, but it doesn't buzz, intonates and sustains real good, so I'm sure he'll be happy with it.

he has yet to cough up any scratch, so at this point its a gift for the gift he shared with me all those years ago.

I had fun doing it. so i don't really mind....

:D