Church Bass

My brother Jesse plays bass in his church and is also the one who taught me how to play guitar almost 25 years ago . Stairway to Heaven and Dust in the wind were my first two songs ! anyways - he sees all the geets I'm building and thought he'd get in on it ... but he waited until pool season was going wide open ! ( bad move.... )

Then God steps in, makes it rain for two days straight and allows me enough time to : glue up the lams , jigsaw the rough shape and cut out a few necks from a pallet runner and thats where I am right now, taking a break from building!!! ( yay!)

Specs:

Fender scale length

P & J pups

active electronics

Padouk , cedar , white pine and Willow body ( 9 piece lam ) < side note: the willow is from a several-hundred-year-old church gate

Quarter-sawn Oak neck made from a pallet runner

Bolt on construction in case the neck is crapppppp.........

( do-overs ! )

Teak Oil finish

Useless without pics :

This is where we are....... :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Scott ! yeah, wide open style while its available. leave @ 6 AM and get home usually between 8 and 9 PM. 6 days a week, occasionally 7. Draining on the body, but nice for the finances. Gotta save up for winter like a squirell ! lol

Will post some pics later today...

BTW - that bear is flippin AWESOME !!! I'll get tiny's comments on it and let you know......

I've never used oak as a neck wood, but I too have used it as a fingerboard. I have however turned A LOT of oak on a lathe. If your tools aren't sharp it will tear out. So my thought is if I can turn oak, I know darn well I can shape a neck without tearout. BUT I haven't tried it.

I'm still a little confused about "Church Bass". Now I know what a regular Bass is, but how is a "Church Bass" Different? Does it only play amazing grace or something? Limited to 70 BPM? Not allow slapback?

Sorry, I crack myself up.

No, it only plays I-V-vi-IV progressions in root position. :D

Don't worry, as a church musician who likes playing church music, I'm allowed to knock it! :D

I'm still a little confused about "Church Bass". Now I know what a regular Bass is, but how is a "Church Bass" Different? Does it only play amazing grace or something? Limited to 70 BPM? Not allow slapback?

Sorry, I crack myself up.

No, it only plays I-V-vi-IV progressions in root position. :D

Don't worry, as a church musician who likes playing church music, I'm allowed to knock it! B)

I didn't think getting into the root position was acceptable behaviour in church, I guess things must have changed since I was there :D

This sounds interesting how are you going for pics Mike?

No, it only plays I-V-vi-IV progressions in root position. Don't worry, as a church musician who likes playing church music, I'm allowed to knock it! :D

I know y'all are just joking around, but you'd be surprised at what's been coming out in contemporary worship lately. I play in the contemporary service at mine and some of it is pretty rockin'.

Unfortunately, the worship leader has a thing for Chris Tomlin. We only do 4 songs, and at LEAST 2 of them are from him. And it's all straight, droning 4-beat crap. No boogie, no rhythm, no interest. Every so often he wants me to play lead, but I just can't. The "leads" in that style are little more than background fills that I have a hard time picking out. What's worse, it usually just follows the root note through the chord changes.

But the non-Tomlin stuff is OK. I just wish he'd take from the Hillsong library once in a while.

Ummm... yeah. What he said.

JK - Its a 'Church Bass' because its going to be played in a church and its built partly from an old board from a church so ... there you have it. A church bass. Like the chicken only non edible.

I actually did o.k. today considering the rain n what not. I glued the lams yesterday and chopped up some necks n stuff. Today was shaping/planing/sanding/breaking/cussing/fixing/cussing/ and here we are ! ........

I'll explain.

I jig-sawed the rough shape out , used a skil-saw as a plane and leveled off the different thicknesses to something sandable. Busted out the 40 grit belts and had a real good smoothing out session. leveled the back real quick, it was the front that was like a topographical map of colorado. The center lam was taller than the rest and the padouk was thicker than the other woods too. So - two belts and as many hours later , I had a good surface on front and back.

I looked at it and smiled. and it split in two.

I swear.

O.K. , I touched it and it split , but it still split. The joint between the 260 year old board and the cedar next to it just let go. Like nothing was ever there....... :DB):D There was evidence of glue on both surfaces, but definitely more on the cedar than the willow. ( I think thats what it is anyways )

so now I had two really cool looking halves but I aint to thrilled about it. I can already see me ditching this body and neck and doing something completely different, but until circumstances force my hand, this is still the plan.

So : I glued up the two halves after cleaning them up and thats where it is now, in the clamps. so.....

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

......... Will keep posted on progress and pit-falls.

IMG_0096.jpg

Thank HEAVEN you cut straighter than you draw! Jeez! it looks like you drew that outline holding the marker between your knees! :D Just kidding man. sounds like it could be an interesting project. Personally, if I were designing an instrument to be played in church, id take a page out of ESPs book of secrets. :D

jeune_fille_x_bronze.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

Thank HEAVEN you cut straighter than you draw! Jeez! it looks like you drew that outline holding the marker between your knees! :D Just kidding man. sounds like it could be an interesting project. Personally, if I were designing an instrument to be played in church, id take a page out of ESPs book of secrets. B)

jeune_fille_x_bronze.jpg

That aint drawing - you silly azz... thats computer squiggles. I did that with the mouse just to indicate what body shape I could use.

and the ESP thing there looks ridiculous. Like Prince and Eric the Red designed a guitar together !!!

I dig it, but this ones for a 50 year old who likes Fender Basses lol. It'll be fairly simple and not too over the top in any aspect .....

Thanks for stopping by tho - hopefully I'll have some better looking pics real soon , these made me queasy this morning....... :D

it split in two.

I swear.

O.K. , I touched it and it split , but it still split. The joint between the 260 year old board and the cedar next to it just let go. Like nothing was ever there.

Thats god trying to tell you something man. He wants you to build a 7 neck mocking bird. im tellin you man, its true :D

it split in two.

I swear.

O.K. , I touched it and it split , but it still split. The joint between the 260 year old board and the cedar next to it just let go. Like nothing was ever there.

Thats god trying to tell you something man. He wants you to build a 7 neck mocking bird. im tellin you man, its true :D

A 7 neck mocking bird ? what about a 7 STRING mockingbird ? That I could use.... 7 necks is 6 too many, lol

O.K. , not much different, just wet and with some HW in place. Its a Carvin bridge and active circuit.

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

This is phase one of the body. I've left plenty of meat in the lower hip and both horns to adjust a few things. It's going to be carved/ rounded pretty much everywhere too.

IMG_0106.jpg

thats the passive/active circuit.

more as soon as I have something. :D

Is that the actual bridge placement? It looks really high... Interesting little dip in the bottom of the body. I hadnt noticed that before. Is that for comfort, or did the placement of the laminates dictate that oddity? It sort of makes the lower horn look awkward IMO. It would look more balanced if you made it slightly less substantial.

churchbass.jpg

I know You didnt ask me for my opinion, I give it to you gratuitously anyway! I guess I just feel that if your going to take the time and make the effort to make something, you should design it a little bit.

Edit: I was posting this as you posted that last pic. I see you have resolved some of the oddness, so never mind. Still think that lower horn could be smaller though I like the "hook".

Edited by MuffinPunch