No Build Threads For Gotm?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then.

FWIW , even a builder like me has gotten votes in this inglorious competition. It depends on your build, your pics and the mood of the voter. I've never once entered because I thought I had the best build that month.

I just hoped that everyone else thought it ! :D

Its an honor to even receive a vote , or votes and a bigger honor to win.

IMHO - what/who you're up against has more to do with it than anything.

I vote for whatever catches my attention the most , simple as that really.

Hi there,

Well I believe that this is not the best place to introduce myself but since my first post was in the GOTM thread I believe that I have to give some information here.

First, my name is Christos, I live in Athens, Greece and my english are also not very good.

To tell you the truth I did not understand everything in this thread but I think that I am in the meaning.

Well, my first post in the forum was in the GOTM thread.

My opinion is that the GOTM thread is an area that we post our complete job at its end, not to compete but to present it.

Then the members vote and just pick the best work of the month.

Nothing more or less. (Let me know if it is)

I made my build thread at the same time with the GOTM entry because of the completely innovative design of my instrument.

I first wanted to see If my instrument was completely functional and then give the details of the building proccess so that I can answer any questions about it.

An other reason is that I am not a proffesional luthier and it took me about a year to build this guitar. A build thread would be easily lost because I would be able to post once a month since the building progress was realy slow.

I also believe that it is an obligation to contribute because the forum really helped me with my project. I may have not participated but I have read and learned many things here.

Edited by ***mkm***
My opinion is that the GOTM thread is an area that we post our complete job at its end, not to compete but to present it.

Then the members vote and just pick the best work of the month.

Nothing more or less. (Let me know if it is)

Absolutely...this is supposed to be 'project guitar" not "build a guitar" or "aspiring luthier"...

For me I have entered once and came in second with a refinished squier with innovative features and hardware...it depends to a degree on the guitar and the competition that month as much as anything. A build thread certainly helps...the end product more so...a build thread gives more exposure to the end product, so you get double the exposure at least.

But a lot is just personal preference, some people might like a 'metal machine' and vote that way against another guitar with more work or better skills or a name perhaps. Some are going to like a 'classic' others think it 'passe' a good twist on a classic, likely to be more popular than something that people already desire...no point in complaining, if you really want to "win" in an election perhaps one needs a campaign and a 'product' that is aimed at the mean.

A build thread works though as a 'marketing angle' and anyone considering being a commercial luthier should be aware of the marketing side of their perspective business. A good product and exposure...and a build thread gives an unlimited amount of time to expose the details and work involved and to hype up the features.

But there is also the, "I would want or play that" factor...so if you put a lot of idiosyncratic bling or minimalism or whatever it is, if it does not appeal to the 'masses' or at least the idea of it, it is unlikely to win.

But absolutely, the main thing about GOTM is to show your work...simple as that. The winner is a popularity vote for the type of guitar and if it catches imagination of the voters...it will do well...even a squier.

Personally, I like to see a wide mix, it is good to see that refinished classical for instance...it shows the whole scope of what the forum offers, not just a place for an elite of builders and such, but all aspects of the craft and at all levels. It is good for people to see that you don't have to 'build' a guitar to participate and that a lot can be done without going to that extent, often with more effect. It might not 'win' but it is there to see, so why not.

In past years we saw more of it and less of this kind of BS...a lot more of a mix and the progress of members in the community. Not many are going to want a stainless steel fretboard or an excessively thin neck I should think, but it is good to see the thing.

One wonders if the builder who complains about not winning themselves have reservations about their end product. If you have done the work to produce something that is exactly as you wished and the guitar for you, who cares if you win...but if the aim is only to win approval in some no prize GOTM thing, well...perhaps a bit more strategy and marketing is required.

As for the long time some guitars take to reach their conclusion. I take pictures that I think may help, but I don't generally find that everyone's 2c are required for a successful result in the actual build. For me the build thread comes a little later and when decisions are made and successful...then i will post those aspects...and who knows, perhaps the completed project will see it's way into GOTM if it is interesting enough.

But, everyone has their criteria for voting...some perhaps on the build quality even if they may not like the guitar, others on the outcome even if the guitar was made with a prepaid neck and body or show how far you can go with an existing guitar (my thing, by necessity).

one thing ive noticed from this thread is that people may have been using multiple accounts to vote for themselves in gotm, this shouldnt be allowed and IP's should be checked on all the voters to make sure this isnt going on (this might happen already).

from the looks of things the mods are aware of this already though.

EG http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...mp;#entry474471

one thing ive noticed from this thread is that people may have been using multiple accounts to vote for themselves in gotm, this shouldnt be allowed and IP's should be checked on all the voters to make sure this isnt going on (this might happen already).

Two points...One is we can't see the IP in the profile,only in a post made by that user,and voting is confidential so knowing what member voted what is not possible.

#2..there are on this forum brothers,sisters,couples,and even just roommates as members running off the same IP,and all are allowed to vote as they please,so allowing one vote per IP is not realistic.

But Mexicanbreed is right.One of my little OCD things is to watch the voting and study the voting habits,which is why I noticed the couple of members who seem to always get the same number of votes on day one of voting every time they enter...but those members have never won a GOTM...and I think it is unlikely to ever happen,because usually the winner is a couple of dozen votes ahead of the majority of the pack...and those that build good enough to have a real shot at winning don't seem to be the same kind of people who tend to try to skew things their way.

I'm replying late to this thread, depictive of a hobbyist busy with another profession and other things to do. I entered my 1st guitar for GOTM in May and my 2nd for December (take a vote!). As a freshman it’s a little hash to expect that I’d have a build thread with this level of experience and insecurity. Maybe I’ll post a build thread for my next one, but you really should be deciding according to the pics posted at GOTM and nothing else – if someone wants to bluff they could easily share photos of someone else building their guitar. What I’d like to see is people keeping to the limit of 4 photos for GOTM – having 10 pics is much more of an infringement of rules than not having a build thread!

What I’d like to see is people keeping to the limit of 4 photos for GOTM – having 10 pics is much more of an infringement of rules than not having a build thread!

We fix it as soon as we see it.

but you really should be deciding according to the pics posted at GOTM and nothing else

Again..people will vote by whatever criteria they want...that is why it is called voting and not "writing down the name you are told"

• 2 weeks later...
I vote when I want, for who I want regardless of location, luthier, or thread count

As it should be :D

It is supposed to be fun, but we take our fun seriously, I guess.

I see it primarily as an opportunity for the folks who hang out here and help each other build their chops to show off what they learned.

I think this is a fairly common feeling, so it is understandable that some will get upset about random entrants just showing up and posting to the contest.

But so what? maybe some of them will end up sticking around and contributing. You never know.

Some people over there come here to sign on and just vote on GOTM.

Hmmm..that is strange....strange because those guitars he entered are very,very nice....looking back I am surprised he did not win.

But I think if he would have posted more pics(he only posted two each time) and had a link back to the other pics he might have...beautiful work,no doubt.

But I see no problem with that either.The instruments he entered are great,and that type of competition ups the class of everyone else's work..it's tough to see a guitar like that and not have it inspire you to do better work yourself.

I vote when I want, for who I want regardless of location, luthier, or thread count

As it should be

It is supposed to be fun, but we take our fun seriously, I guess.

I see it primarily as an opportunity for the folks who hang out here and help each other build their chops to show off what they learned.

I think this is a fairly common feeling, so it is understandable that some will get upset about random entrants just showing up and posting to the contest.

But so what? maybe some of them will end up sticking around and contributing. You never know.

true just look at scatter lee he popped up out of nowhere and is now has a build thread on one that is just amazing.

Edited by Tim37