Project S9 Continued...

Are those pin to stop movememt during glue and clamp?

Yes.

You can get a bag of 100 from McMaster-Carr for cheap. Since they are sized to fit the drill bit they are perfect for pinning.

I am probably going to order a bag or 1/32 for fretboards as well since this year I am going to be doing things a bit different.

McMaster-Carr rocks.

I like your sled.

SR

Never thought I would say this.... it is safer than using a joiner (Kinda). If you don't get greedy it is pretty clean. If you try and take to big a bite it will bite back. I am going to remake the sled from MDF as it is more dimensionally stable. The luan plywood is a bit soft and you can actually dent it by over-tightening the neck in the jig.

Actually.......now that I think about it, it would be even safer to turn the neck over, jig it to clear the angle and use your CNC. Do you have enough Z-axis clearance to do that?

SR

Actually I was just thinking about that. The real issue with using the CNC would be variations in the thickness of my blanks would require me to recode the gcode for each individual neck blank. The CNC is impractical for one off jobs.

The solution of course is to make all my blanks identical. This is not practical. Since I try to never waste wood sometimes I make blanks smaller or bigger to take full advantage of the blank. Then I use about three different construction techniques depending on the final size.

At some point it is just faster to do these things by hand.

The other side of that coin is to build you a library of pre-set codes (cut files is what I'm used to calling them), and save them all. At some point you'll probably have most of your variables covered...at least for surfacing a scarf joint.

I hear you about one offs. Be real useful for lots of 40 though wouldn't you say. :D

SR

The other side of that coin is to build you a library of pre-set codes (cut files is what I'm used to calling them), and save them all. At some point you'll probably have most of your variables covered...at least for surfacing a scarf joint.

I hear you about one offs. Be real useful for lots of 40 though wouldn't you say. :D

SR

I have to quit misplacing the finished code... HA!

• 3 weeks later...