Orf With 'Is 'Ed!

Looks pretty good man!! What kind of tooling are you using to cut it? Only reason I ask is for the ridges in the shelf, now that you've already got this one finished you can sand these to make it smooth but for future pieces I can help you come up with a spindle speed and feed rate that will get rid of them and give you the longest tool life, I would just need to know the diameter of your cutter, how many flutes it has a what material it's made out of either high speed steel or carbide. 

Are you taking the full depth in one pass? Getting good finishes in the metal world is all about finish passes, that looks to be a pretty shallow cut but even raising the cutter up .005" running your program and set the cutter back down .005" and running again can make all the difference in it  

I love seeing people make the things that they need themselves, good job man!! You've earned some points in my book. 

9 hours ago, 2.5itim said:

Looks pretty good man!! What kind of tooling are you using to cut it? Only reason I ask is for the ridges in the shelf, now that you've already got this one finished you can sand these to make it smooth but for future pieces I can help you come up with a spindle speed and feed rate that will get rid of them and give you the longest tool life, I would just need to know the diameter of your cutter, how many flutes it has a what material it's made out of either high speed steel or carbide. 

Are you taking the full depth in one pass? Getting good finishes in the metal world is all about finish passes, that looks to be a pretty shallow cut but even raising the cutter up .005" running your program and set the cutter back down .005" and running again can make all the difference in it  

I love seeing people make the things that they need themselves, good job man!! You've earned some points in my book. 

Thanks Tim.

The cutter was a twin flute 1/8" diameter carbide endmill, feedrate 150mm/min, RPM...whatever the maximum my machine is capable of doing (supposedly 10K, but probably less once it was cutting).

Outline was done first to a depth of 2.5mm, ramping into the cut along the left hand side until DOC of 0.5mm was achieved, then running around the circumference in 0.5mm DOC passes..

The ledge was done by zig-zagging around to remove the waste starting from the "open" side, DOC 0.5mm, gradually working outwards towards the edges, with each path overlapping by 1mm. Final depth of the ledge is 1mm below the top surface, so two full runs of 0.5mm DOC to get there.

Holes were done with a two flute 1.5mm diameter endmill, helical interpolation at 0.5mm height intervals to a max depth of 1.5mm below the ledge. I only wanted to get the holes started in the CNC and finish them on the drill press.

In hindsight I probably could have included a finishing pass to remove some of the chatter marks, but having just sprayed a coat of etch primer on it they're completely invisible now.

The world's smallest headplate?

20160623_170601.jpg

20160626_112139.jpg

Once the epoxy has dried and is scraped back, all is revealed:

20160625_111649.jpg

Finally make a start of carving and contouring. I'm shooting for a simpler carve on the top than my usual, so I've gone for a basic curve that goes across the face of the whole body, a little like the Ibanez S.

20160625_142416.jpg20160625_150122.jpg20160626_085539.jpg

Nothing special about the rear contours, except that I can't make the belly cut too deep owing to the chambering immediately behind the carve.

20160625_115347.jpg

20160626_115232.jpg20160626_120348.jpg

Last step for the evening is to start filling the voids and birdseyes in the myrtle with clear epoxy (couldn't resist spreading a little around to highlight the figure). There'll be plenty more of that to come yet as the blackheart sassafras is full of little pin holes all over.

20160626_124932.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/26/2016 at 6:27 AM, curtisa said:

Once the epoxy has dried and is scraped back, all is revealed:

Afterimage......how appropriate.

I really like the carve and timber. This is going to end up looking mighty fine even if it is anatomically challenged.:D

SR

8 hours ago, Prostheta said:

You'll regret spreading that epoxy around once you come to levelling Andrew!

Nah. That's such a thin coating it will disappear in no time under the ROS. Scraping each of the little fills back flush will take much longer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ScottR said:

Afterimage......how appropriate.

I really like the carve and timber. This is going to end up looking mighty fine even if it is anatomically challenged.:D

SR

Cheers Scott. The carve was far easier to achieve than the one I've been doing up till now. Less time fiddling with angles = quicker result = happier camper.

It might be anatomically challenged, but I reckon you'll barely be able to tell you have a guitar in your hands. I haven't put anything on the scales yet, but the body feels like it weighs about a kilo.

Stunning skills on show all round and this is looking really attractive.  I'm surprised how light it's coming out to be, although it is always impressive just how much bulk a 'good carve' removes.

I shared the fear of the epoxy but it probably looks much thicker than it actually is.  In terms of thin application of epoxy, do you thin it and, if so, what do you use?

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Stunning skills on show all round and this is looking really attractive.  I'm surprised how light it's coming out to be, although it is always impressive just how much bulk a 'good carve' removes.

Cheers, big ears.

I doubt the carve has removed that much weight to be honest; it's only 6mm down from the top face at the deepest - pretty subtle. Blackheart sassafras isn't a heavy timber to begin with. Plus I've got plenty of chambering throughout, and there's a big chunk of body mass missing from the lower bout and behind the bridge that will be saving about a third of the weight of a "conventional" body shape.

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

shared the fear of the epoxy but it probably looks much thicker than it actually is.  In terms of thin application of epoxy, do you thin it and, if so, what do you use?

Unthinned. I don't want it too un-viscous (de-viscous? ill-viscous?) as I need it to settle into the bottom of each void without bleeding too much into the surrounding timber.

14 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

I've done quite a few good carves, and I haven't lost any weight. Gained a bit, I'd say.

So that must be carbs rather than carves, then? Or maybe the carvery? :rolleyes:

Hyuck!

15 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

I'd say that the antonym of viscous would be "watery" simply low-viscosity? I prefer to think about these things in terms of surface tension.

"Watery" will do. I think I was just having a seniors moment when I couldn't think of the right word.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably about time I update this a little. Have been a bit too busy to spend a lot of time in the workshop, but things are gradually progressing along.

Side dots in:

20160703_135413.jpg20160703_140318.jpg

Neck carved:

20160717_111829.jpg

Fretwork complete:

20160717_114237.jpg20160717_125330.jpg

Oiling the neck has started but progress will be slow as the temperature here has well and truly dropped for winter.

Just visble in the last pic at the headstock, you can just make out a recess in the face. This is for the aluminium bracket used to secure the string clamps.  I had to lower the height of the nut bracket to allow the string clamps to sit lower behind the nut. Without it the clamps would have secured the strings too high to give enough downwards pressure in the nut slots.

Rustins Danish. The cold and damp means that it takes well over a day for oil to dry sufficiently to sand and re-apply. I could bring it into the warm house to finish, but it'd stink the place up more than she-who-must-be-obeyed would let me get away with.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know what to do with all these wires?

20160813_140235.jpg

These Fishmans are actually pretty well equipped in terms of options. Out of the box you get the usual plug-in type connectors to get things going with basic EMG-esque ground/9V/signal terminals for each pickup. But then they throw in extra cables for each pickup to allow you to switch between two voicing options, a low gain option and a high frequency cut. On the back of each pickup they also include solder pads that allow you to split the coils aswell. Pretty neat.

20160813_151303.jpg

I may yet re-make this nut. I accidentally took the top surface down too far, and while all of the strings have sufficient clearance at the first fret, the nut slots are barely there. The only thing that has me hesitating on it at the moment is that the string locks being so close to the back of the nut means that the strings seem unlikely to jump out of their slots while doing bends in the first few frets.

20160813_153839.jpg20160813_155245.jpg

@KnightroExpress - I hereby take this opportunity to steal your independent saddle grounding idea, but I will raise your method slightly by perforating the two layers of conductive tape with an Xacto knife so that they are guaranteed a reliable connection:

20160814_163241.jpg20160814_163537.jpg20160814_163746.jpg

The black powder coating on the underside of each saddle needs to be removed in order to get a good connection to the grounding strip. Nothing a few seconds with the Dremel can't fix:

20160814_164134.jpg20160814_164712.jpg

Near enough to a dead short for this boy:

20160814_170800.jpg

Damn close to being done:

20160814_171138.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, curtisa said:

Damn close to being done:

I was starting to wonder if you'd ever get there, what with the once a month updates.:D

As always, it looks fantastic. Just goes to show that while taking your time is not so good for guitar watchers, it is very good for guitars.

Carry on my friend, whilst we wait with bated breath.

SR

• Like 1