Entry for August 2018's Guitar Of The Month contest is open to all!
ENTER HERE!

killemall8

KEA 2017 builds

The prices at the place i used to go to had been almost the same for nearly 11 years. As soon as they were bought out, it doubled. Quite a shame.

Been incredibly busy lately. Just got back from a week long trip to NY. Here are a few pics of recent progress.
I also have been clearing out my stock. I have 10 laminated neck blanks if anybody is interested.

DSCF2020.JPG

DSCF2042.JPG

DSCF2044.JPG

DSCF2047.JPG

• Like 1

Well friends, The time has come.
I start my new job on tuesday. I dont know what my hours are going to be yet. Its been a great journey. If i can, i will still work a little on guitars during the week.
As a farewell, i made my mom this cutting board out of offcuts from necks i had made.

DSCN1487.JPG

• Like 3

Are you sure that the woods are food-safe? A lot aren't recommended for contact with food if they're just oiled. I doubt it'll be any sort of real issue though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Are you sure that the woods are food-safe? A lot aren't recommended for contact with food if they're just oiled. I doubt it'll be any sort of real issue though.

Good question! But scott was right, she doesnt want to use it as a cutting board after all, haha.

On 11/27/2017 at 8:09 PM, Mr Natural said:

hope any rough seas smooth out for you. The axes look great. 

Thanks man. Been a crazy year over all. A lot of change and a lot of learning to do.

Went almost 2 weeks without a day off. Had the morning off today so i got a few things done. Ive just been building bodies and doing minor work on almost finished builds.

DSCF2462.JPG

DSCF2437.JPG

DSCF2423.JPG

DSCF2365.JPG

7 hours ago, killemall8 said:

Thanks man. Been a crazy year over all. A lot of change and a lot of learning to do.

Went almost 2 weeks without a day off. Had the morning off today so i got a few things done. Ive just been building bodies and doing minor work on almost finished builds.

DSCF2462.JPG

This has an almost negative or white burst around the edges. Is that a function of the lighting or some photographic anomaly, or a new trick you really need to tell us about?:blink:

They all look great of course.

SR

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

This has an almost negative or white burst around the edges. Is that a function of the lighting or some photographic anomaly, or a new trick you really need to tell us about?:blink:

SR

Just the lighting, good sir. The quilt is pretty much solid white in person.

• Like 1

Is that burl mappa? That is a wicked looking piece. It will almost be a shame to put hardware on it.

SR

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ScottR said:

Is that burl mappa? That is a wicked looking piece. It will almost be a shame to put hardware on it.

SR

Its actually just regular maple burl. I actually didnt want to rout it because of how nice it looked, so i just left it unfinished for now.

DSCF2570.thumb.JPG.38fda32844f4cf51d330a1cb66b2bdd0.JPGI really gotta stop starting so many projects without finishing them. But here are some updates!

Ive gotten into the really bad habit of buying a bunch of wood and supplies and not using what i already have.

DSCF2569.JPG

DSCF2582.JPG

DSCF2591.JPG

On 12/19/2017 at 3:04 PM, ScottR said:

SR

It is an artifact caused by a photo filter. Looks like an unsharp mask with a big radius. Sometimes called "clarity" and other things in some apps. It's been showing up in some of Luis's posts. By accident maybe?

In that post it's on photos #1 and #3 (compare the grass for example). Then it's gone and makes a comeback in the maple burl pic. (which is crazy awesome)

There's something very Instagram-y about it. Way too much contrast and little left in midrange detail. The photographic filter equivalent of 90s nu-metal guitar?

Yeah, the pic of the rhoads had a filter on it, that is built into my camera. Sometimes the sunlight washes out the picture instead of showing the grain, so sometimes i use it to enhance the grain.

Greetings!
Hope all is well. The weather is warming up here and it makes for much more enjoyable build environments. I finally got around to gluing this up and cutting it out. Been wanting to do this combo for years!

DSCF2602.JPG

DSCF2603.JPG

DSCF2600.JPG

• Like 3

Black limba (I'm guessing that's what it is) .. it's been on my to-try list for quite a while. For some reason I have a hard time finding a reasonable source of the stuff in Europe. 

That other one, is that 100% padouk? That's a cool idea