project sketch, any suggestions

I like the body shape. Very Uli Roth looking and it should be great for the upper fret access.

I'm not too sure about the headstock design. I would try to borrow the curve from that upper horn and work that into the shape.

The fretboard radius I'm a little worried about. From the looks of it you are going to have a very round edge on the higher strings. Or rather, you are skewing the center point of the radius twards the higher pitched strings. I don't think this will have a good effect on the way it plays. It'll choke the notes out on a bend, and the more curved the radius is, the harder it is to shred. Given the shape of the guitar, I would guess that you want it to be used for some flashy playing.

no **** its a skecth

look at the fretboard shape dude!

yah.. i looked at it for a little while.. but I couldnt figure out why you would want to do that. Not to mention freting and fret dressing will be a pain in the arse.

and also, you sound a tad hostile. dont be, were trying to help you.

i didnt mean to sound hostile srry, and i thought barre chords and the higher frets being closer about choking ive seen bass guitar with this radius and it dosent choke them unless u do demented keyboard player pulling on the pitch wheel style of bends lol

thanks for ur posts

by the way i did take the uli jon roth design but its gonna look different i just wanted better clearance the higher frets so that cut was the best option

and il probably use the drop dsign for the headstock

by the way this is my first guitar but ive read to millions of tutorials and i have everything in mind no mistakes allowed

Bass guitars don't have a radius like that. What some do have is an asymetrical neck profile(http://www.warmoth.com/bass/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=back_shape bottom of page). With and asym. neck profile the neck is thicker on the bass side than the treble side. The fretboard radius stays the same, the only thing they alter is the shape of the back of the neck. It may look like the fretboard is oddly shaped but that is just an optical illusion.

I have to second (third?) the opinion that the headstock doesn't match the body.

Also agreed about the seated playing... you won't be able to do it... however, that's not necessarily a problem. Just play standing up. :D

Note: The 'tone chambers' are more likely going to reduce the weight of your guitar than contribute any actual tonal qualities, but it's still a good plan.

Greg

ive studied the fretboard radius and the frets that become closer as u bend the string start to move away from the strings cuz of the curve so no choking

In fact, you'll find it's the exact opposite. The more round the fretboard is, the more the strings will choke when you bend, even just a semitone. Trust me on this one.

Leo Fender figured this one out back in the 50's and 60's. Warmoth introduced the compound radius fretboard in the 80's to combat this problem. You are going to go through a lot of work just to make a fretboard that you cannot bend a note on.

As a thought experiment. Take a rubber band and put it on a soda can so it goes from head to tail all the way around. Now take the middle of the rubber band and move it off to the side moving around the waist of the soda can. Even if you lift the rubber band off a little bit, notice that the rubber band wraps around the can and makes full contact with it. No vibration at all is possible. Now put that rubberband on a flat board (a ruler for example). Moving the rubber band off to the side in this case barely makes any contact at all. That won't choke at all.

If you want to prove me wrong, and you have some great new fretboard radius plan, then by all means go for it. There's a lot of history behind why fretboards are made the way they are. They work. :D

I love the camphor burl, always loved that stuff. How much was the top? did you get it from gilmer?

If you want to get real radical with fretboards you could try checking out the fanned fret system. Search google for it, or check out some of the workerbee 7 basses.