Unleashing the Mod from Hell

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

question.

so far, i have been totally for everything you've talked about as to what is changing and how and why and whatnot, but i'm having trouble remembering what is going to happen. so if you could possibly drop in a list as to what is going on, that'd be neat.

from what i can tell:

rant section = gone.

off-topics = stays.

post-count = gone.

stricter enforcement of rules

less tolerance of stupid people (i mean that in the nicest way, btw. just putting it plainly).

no more pics in sigs.

as for those last two, if you could clarify a little bit as to what the tolerance levels will end up being (i know it's still under discussion, but possibly a ball-park figure). i'm assuming language, stupid/pointless posts, and asking a question after it's already been asked, but there might be more?

thanks for the help kevan, and i really mean it. i've been kinda put off by this site lately 'cause it's been hard to find any good information without digging too much, and in all honesty, the quality of my projects has diminished slightly because of it. so i see similar movements between me and this site. therefore cleaner = better for me.

question.

so far, i have been totally for everything you've talked about as to what is changing and how and why and whatnot, but i'm having trouble remembering what is going to happen. so if you could possibly drop in a list as to what is going on, that'd be neat.

from what i can tell:

rant section = gone.

off-topics = stays.

post-count = gone.

stricter enforcement of rules

less tolerance of stupid people (i mean that in the nicest way, btw. just putting it plainly).

no more pics in sigs.

You've pretty much got it, except it should be "MUCH stricter enforcement of the rules." :-) The previous 10 pages in this thread were to get the shock out of the system, let those who felt the need to call me a "jagoff", or a "hitler with a keyboard" type it out, let the goofballs blow their little fuses, and give the veteran members a heads-up about the changes comin' their way.

The formal list will look much like yours. It will get posted in the Announcments section as soon as Brian gets back up online. NOTE: Hurricanes not only suck, but they blow.

"It's not *that* the wind is blowin'....it's *WHAT* the wind is blowin'." - Ron White

as for those last two, if you could clarify a little bit as to what the tolerance levels will end up being (i know it's still under discussion, but possibly a ball-park figure). i'm assuming language, stupid/pointless posts, and asking a question after it's already been asked, but there might be more?

You're on the right track. I'll have more specifics as the days go by and Brian and I have more time to talk (and he's not running on battery power). One of the big things will be the Search Before You Post A New Thread. This one is really important, and we're gonna have to ask the long-timers if they can lend a hand linking to previous threads. We've read a lot of the threads, but probably not all of them. A post from you linking to the old thread, then a quick PM or email to Bri, Me or Wes, and we can get it all sewn up. More than likely, the locked repeat thread will stay closed for a day or two (a week?), then removed entirely. It's the best way to get as much information as possible, into one place/thread/topic. 11 threads about side dot inlay material is a little crazy.

The stuff showing up in Off-Topic is still pretty wide open. Keep the language clean, keep it respectful of others, and there shouldn't be any problems. Let's keep the politics and religion really low, and I think we can have a good time in there.

Brian and I might come up with a few more pointers, but your list is pretty comprehensive so far.

thanks for the help kevan, and i really mean it. i've been kinda put off by this site lately 'cause it's been hard to find any good information without digging too much, and in all honesty, the quality of my projects has diminished slightly because of it. so i see similar movements between me and this site. therefore cleaner = better for me.

You're very welcome. Glad to see you hangin' around, and I'm happy to hear your projects are improving. Keep up the good work.

Personally, I think there should be a new person (i hate the word noob) thread, because then they will get all of the slighly unneeded questions out of thier systems, and other members dont have to go through it. And set the view new posts, so that you wont see that thread.

I dont really mind anwsering already anwsered questions, its easy cause I already know the anwser by heart :D

And I really have nothing better to do, as I am waiting for my check to clear and my wood to be shipped, and it seems like most of my projects will be like that.

There needs to be a "test post" place on the board. If this type of forum interface is new to anyone, less of a problem today as many boards have this same engine, they need to test a link, post a picture, and just in general dink around with stuff.

I'm not sure it should be a thread because a noobie to the place probably won't see that thread right away. They will see a section on the forum labeled "Test Area"

I think one way to combat repeat threads would be to pin a topic with answers to the most commonly repeated threads. For instance I've seen a number of 'what tools do I need to build a guitar?' threads in the tools section. Why not have something like LGM's pinned threads in the inlay/finish chat where required/minimal tools are listed, same thing in the electric guitars section to combat the 'Is Pine a good body wood?' or 'What woods can I use?' type threads.

EDIT:We also should pin a topic listing recommended books.

Good ideas, guys!

The Test Area is really good one. Posts/threads can be deleted whenever Admin or Mods get the chance. Nice call.

I like the tool list alot. And if something needs to be added, you can just edit your post. New tools come out all the time, so it'd be nice to keep current. Maybe a pinned topic where folks can list their own tools.....and edit the original post when Craftsman has a sale. :-) We can work on this one more to get it smooth and readable.

Doc- you wanna start on this, and we'll use yours as a working model?

Good ideas, guys!

The Test Area is really good one. Posts/threads can be deleted whenever Admin or Mods get the chance. Nice call.

I like the tool list alot. And if something needs to be added, you can just edit your post. New tools come out all the time, so it'd be nice to keep current. Maybe a pinned topic where folks can list their own tools.....and edit the original post when Craftsman has a sale. :-) We can work on this one more to get it smooth and readable.

Thinking out loud...

This is actually starting to sound like we need a FAQ. Pinned posts are great and all, but after a bunch of them, they take up too much screen real estate. Perhaps each topic could have a single, pinned, locked, thread that would be a FAQ for that section.

What tools are a minimum? What tone woods to use? Can I use Pine? Where should I buy <insert noun>?

Those questions are going to have different answers for solid bodies, hollow bodies, inlay and finishing, and electronics.

Guest AlexVDL
This is actually starting to sound like we need a FAQ.  Pinned posts are great and all, but after a bunch of them, they take up too much screen real estate.  Perhaps each topic could have a single, pinned, locked, thread that would be a FAQ for that section.

This is the best idea I've heard untill now!! :D

Every section should have its own FAQ pinned at the top. It should be editable, so new questions (and answers ofcourse) can be added at all time. An answer could also be a direct link to a thread or internet page.

Yes, I like it! Solves most of the search problems I think, won't it?

I'd be happy to help out with writing the Q&A's B)

I don't now if it's ok, but if somebody hadn't point me out of Stew-Mac and the alikes I would have been blind in reference of specialty tools. Specialy when they send you a free catalog to your house! They have come in handy, just like when somebody post that you need a file to slot your nut, ma as a newbie, would have gone for my needle file set. But after checking their site I learned about all the different types.

1 vote for FAQ. included should be some basic "forum operating instructions" including the search button. very good idea. props.

Id love to. Ill make the list fot the bass im workin on now, as I have not yet had the pleasure of building a guitar.

solidbody section, or tourtial sec.

ill start in solid body and you fellas can move it if you want.

I have to say that without Brian this site would not be possible and now that kevan has become more active on the board it really does seem to be getting its act together. i Just hope you guys really make this site worth something and for the large part turn it into the site it was back at the start of 2003.

Yeah everybody needs a cleanout every now and then and thanks kev for offering to sell me your RG egypt for free thats fantastic! :D But seriously good on ya guys every ( serious member of PG is here and right behind ya! ).

As DLR once said... Thank heavens for little girls... and some of the big ones too! :D

I know my bro Lee ( aka Matia) really loved this site and would be on here every night just getting as much info as he could. Thats what its all about, making the info more avaliable for the masses, but I would like to thank you all for contributing.

PG is entering a new phase and we should all be excited about it! This site is for guitar building and playing. No actually its the BEST for guitar building and playing! Lets all make it the best we can and thank those that put the effort in to make it happen.

( wes your still not good looking enough for me... sorry dude B) )

This is actually starting to sound like we need a FAQ.  Pinned posts are great and all, but after a bunch of them, they take up too much screen real estate.  Perhaps each topic could have a single, pinned, locked, thread that would be a FAQ for that section.

This is the best idea I've heard untill now!! :D

Every section should have its own FAQ pinned at the top. It should be editable, so new questions (and answers ofcourse) can be added at all time. An answer could also be a direct link to a thread or internet page.

Yes, I like it! Solves most of the search problems I think, won't it?

I'd be happy to help out with writing the Q&A's :D

Hmmm. I see your point, but I wanted to think of some way to keep the FAQ from growing to 800 pages long at the risk of geting off topic or somone getting insulted with, "Dude, that was on page 400! Read the whole thread!". If a question isn't covered in the FAQ, it's not a frequently asked question yet. B)

Adding to the FAQ should fall upon the mighty shoulders of our trusted moderators.

Oh, and I would second the motion to have you write up some Q&A's. You are good choice for that.

Id love to. Ill make the list fot the bass im workin on now, as I have not yet had the pleasure of building a guitar.

solidbody section, or tourtial sec.

ill start in solid body and you fellas can move it if you want.

I've been thinking about the tools needed as well. I need to check out your list of things.

My thoughts are that there's such a huge difference in what is nice to have, and what is fundamental to have. I would suggest writing a list of tools with that thought in mind.

What tools are really basic? Screwdrivers, hammers, a file, a chissel, a sanding block, clamps, really really basic things that no one should be without. I'd add a Swiss army knife to the list just because I tend to use it for so many things.

What's the next step up? Power tools. A router is by far the most versitle, but what about a Dremmel? Drill press or electric hand drill? Sabre saw or band saw? There's a ton of trade offs here. You might be able to do the same job with different tools. Using the wrong tool for the job may work fine, it'll just take more time and more patience of the luthier.

<edit>

It may be worth it to have serveral people answer these questions to get a concensus on the tools needed:

What tools are essential to building a guitar?

What tools are nice to have but you can get by without them by something else?

What tools are specialty tools for luthiers that help, but are definately not for just anyone?

What tool can you not live without?

What is your next tool to buy?