do you like telecasters

madcow

do you like the way telecasters look?  

193 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For me personally I hate the way they look period. I like the Les paul shape, the strat shape(not so much anymore), and some of the custom made bodies wth sharp edges (more along the lines of what is bad arse?). I will say that I have seen one or two telecasters that don't look to bad in all black coloration with a different headstock shape on them.

Edited by Cloud

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I really love teles... I think that is one guitar (or even guitar shape) that I have never owned (or played for m ore than a few hours).

My personal favorite is Keith Richard's Micawber- I think that thing is beautiful. Not a fan of Muddy Waters tele though.

I would love to build a nice tele down the track.

The bound teles are really nice as well.

Luke

I voted i dunno since I never realy took much time to get in to them the only teles

that I love are Drak's.

Drak you build some deadly teles man!!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

If someone would have asked me 2 years ago I would have said that I hate Tele's, Strat's, and also Les Paul's. But as I have advanced musically I find that all three have unique(spelling?!?) tones to them.

I love Tele's now, I just like the way they feel, the tone they have. Not much for Metallica and such, but for classic, and southern rock, blues and even country music they sound great. And rank really high in my opinion.

I also made the comment to my uncle when he bought a tele that I would never own one, well now I own three. Two I should say because the third is a Washburn tele style. Black body with red binding. Replaced the Washburn pickups with Fender Tele P-ups. Sounds great and playes great.

Strat's and LP's also rank really high in my book though. :D

• 6 months later...

Since I'm building one, I have to say I appreciate the shape more, but it's not an 'instant loving it' shape. Some days, yes, some days no. Same thing I have with strats. it's that 'slightly too square' thing they both have going on that doesn't quite work for me, sometimes. Other times, it's just perfect. They're timeless classics, though, which ever way you turn it, and they've got a certain charm.

However, the Telecaster headstock is possibly the ugliest non-metal guitar 6 per side known to man (while the small, non 'Big Head' strat headstock is one of the nicest. Go figure).

WOW Back from the dead B)

You know What I would Like To see, a Wild DEATH METAL black 7-string tele

with one EMG 707 bridge pickup Some Kind of A cool tribal cut bridge and A 24 fret neck And lose the fender headstock For A more METAL MATT style Design

\m/

Now That's A Tele :D

well... I voted yes but I hate all thigs fender (at least what they do now... Gotta have respect for Leo...) But i got to say I like the shape of a Thinline tele.

A nice Thinline2 hb tele with a 3x3 headstock and a figured top would TOTALLY look "deadly", to use Matt's words :D

What I can't stand are the electronics. 2 single coils and a huge metal plate right in the middle of the body... now COME ON!!!

anyways:

Not much for Metallica and such,

watch the "Unforgiven II" video. Hetfield plays a tele :D

well... I voted yes but I hate all thigs fender (at least what they do now... Gotta have respect for Leo...) But i got to say I like the shape of a Thinline tele.

A nice Thinline2 hb tele with a 3x3 headstock and a figured top would TOTALLY look "deadly", to use Matt's words wink.gif

What I can't stand are the electronics. 2 single coils and a huge metal plate right in the middle of the body... now COME ON!!!

My dear young poster...You must live in a world where the walls are awfully narrow to say such blaspemous bootjack.

When you hit about 30 or so you will look back on those words with much disdain.

You must be 100% completely blind and unaware of the absolute raw, visceral, biting, snarling, bowel-wrenching, barn-burning boot-stomping sh*t-kickin' punch-drunkin' tear-jerking bling-blingin' spit-ballin' hawg-maulin' girl-chasin' motor scooter-racin' who's-yer-daddyin' thrombulastic truly GOD-inspired ABSOLUTE POWUH of a Telecaster (wielded in the right hands, natch :D ).

The Telecaster (well, Esquire) was the FIRST BORN SOLID ELECTRIC CHILD OF GOD.

WOMAN speaks thru a Stratocaster,

MAN speaks thru a Les Paul,

GOD ALMIGHTY HIMSELF speaks thru a Telecaster, it was HIS first borne. B)

...AND it was designed to be taken apart for ease of travel (the bolt-on neck design) ...c'mon, how cool is THAT? :D

I don't really like the look of teles but some of the ones ive seen on here are nice(its an exception to the rule) I also have to admit that i have lots of respect for the tele but I just don't like it. I'll leave the teles to keef.

And to drak:Gods firstborne would be "the log" wouldn't it?

Edited by haggardguy

I like 'em, but I'll only build one (it'll be a relic Broadcaster replica). The bridge-mounted pickup is what gives the Tele its sound. And it is quite the players guitar, if you want to hear how many sounds you can get out of it, listen to Roy Buchanan.

it's the ugliest headstock ever conceived (in my opinion). What were they thinking?

I'm pretty sure that Leo Fender originally wanted to make the neck from a single 2x4, so that's what you get for a headstock. A Strat headstock would be too wide.

...I just threw up all over the floor.

That's like turning the Mona Lisa into Joan Jett. 

HAHAHA :D

I want Joan Jett B)

Seems like I read once that the headstock is loosely based on the profile of a violin headstock. Could be a bunch of hooey too, but you never know.

I hadn't heard that but it makes sense. The strat head being a treble clef is probably more than obvious.

When I was young, I pretty much viewed tele's as something that somewhat resembled a JC Penny catalog guitar that played well. Every boot stompin beer sloggin cowboy that could yodel a tune was playing one as well...didn't favor country much back then. :D

In time I developed a respect for its simplicity. The first time I played one with a good humbucker in the neck I knew I had to reevaluate my thinking.