How to build a Floyd Rose

Wix

Hello

Im building this 7 string guitar

rui.jpg

i decided to build it from scratch , even pickups and sustainer made by me, i only buy wood and the tuners the rest is made by hand

Well here is the work im doing :

material im using

2.jpg

tools and proteccions

3.jpg

1º step -->cut iron in 7 pieces

6.JPG

2º step shape a litle bit the metal:

4.JPG

7.jpg

3º step :

8.JPG

1.JPG

Edited by Wix

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, that's quite a project to undertake.....

*excuse me while i shift back to portuguese*

ola, você por acaso é brasileiro? ou português? legal encontrar outros conterrâneos hehehe

well if anyone's curious, his pics have portuguese comments on them, so i'm just asking if he's brazilian (which i am myself) or portuguese...

anyway, i'm eager to see the progress of that!

wow, that's quite a project to undertake.....

*excuse me while i shift back to portuguese*

ola, você por acaso é brasileiro? ou português? legal encontrar outros conterrâneos hehehe

well if anyone's curious, his pics have portuguese comments on them, so i'm just asking if he's brazilian (which i am myself) or portuguese...

anyway, i'm eager to see the progress of that!

olá

:D não , sou Português

abraço

Im telling him im portuguese

Nice thread. Its really cool how your making a floyd rose. This thread also helps with my robotics and spanish class, lol. Well, how do you put the locking nut on a floyd rose? or are you gettting to it. Please dont be harsh im pretty new when it comes to floyd roses only because i havnt herd of one till i came here. I really didnt start guitar until here, so thats why.

Are you going to leave it as bare metal? Or do you have the ability to plate it in chrome, nickel, gold, or finish it in black?

B) that is a good question, actually im still thinking on that , i can´t leave like that because of rust. if anyone have an idea , im thinking in heat de metal until it is red then trouht it to a pot of used oil and repeat some times, a used this method some time ago in a piece of metal and it became black and no rust..

Sorry my bad english :D i hope you understand what im trying to explain

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The oil idea might work. I use it quite a bit for finishing stuff. The problem with it is that it seems like it doesn't penetrate too much. The black finish will chip off if it gets banged too hard. Could be a problem on a FR. Also, depending on how you heat it (I'm sure it won't be a problem) make sure you don't heat it too high or it could pit. It won't take much with that thin stock.