Major screw up of my caribburst.

I was routing out the pickup spaces and went oversize. The same size as if I was using a pickguard. Waaaa!

Brain fart for sure. The only way I can make it work now is to cover the maple with a pickguard. Double Waaaa!

Luckily for me it was only a AAA top nothing special, but I worked so hard to make the burst look good. Now I have to hide it.

What do you all think. Maybe the "wall of death"? Or just just use it as is.

If I use as is I will drop out of the compition. WAAAA! again.

Stew-Mac sells those pickup rings now for no pickguard applications.

Might work.

PS, utterly smashing and destroying a guitar body against the Wall Of Death at full force and intent is a high that has -no- comparison.

You have to experience it, to actually do it, to understand it.

:DB):D

Stuff happens!

Someone on here (PG) makes wooden pickup rings, but who it is I can't remember right now. As much fun as smashing it against a wall would/could be I'd opt for the rings and get her done. You probably could make some decent rings yourself with a piece or two of scrap.

Maybe use a wooden ring stained in a contrasting color to your 'burst??? Just a thought....... :D

I wasn't suggesting www do the firewood stroll.B)

But when the time is right, the stars are aligned, the spiritual forces have joined the battle...man, to consecrate the destruction of some good hard effort and work that just didn't work out is some powerful Mojo Juice :D

PS, Hendrix did it, so it must be OK. :D

A "P" bass with pickup rings?? (I didn't mention that it was a "P" bass the first post.)

I finished the routing for a pickguard (top rout). I'll keep it cause I need a fretless P. I will look for a pickguard that complements the color.

I hurried to get the routs done, so I could spray (which I started) because the weather is cooperating this weekend.

Haste makes waste (or almost waste in this case).

Thanks for the suggestions, but a pickguard it will be.

B):D

PS: Kevan, I did use sand (color) in the center for an island look. That now no one will no exists. Sort of a lost island. :D

I'm not sure I would like a clear pickguard. But I would like to have suggestions on what color pickguard I should go with. My bass is similar in color to a Jet caribbean burst. Here Scroll down to "colors". The Caribbean burst is the third row down and third color in.

I was thinking something like a pearloid. Any suggestions.

Here are some colors. :D

It is too late for any other suggetions on anything other than a pickguard as I already did a top rout. It is shame to cover nice wood, but I have no choice.

Fender-Precision-Bass-Pickup.jpg

P-bass pickup

Rings aren't used for this kind of pickup; you could do something custom, but that'd be kinda weird.

I say rout out a big block around the disaster area, inlay a big chunk of figured maple with a suitably colored accent border (maybe even MOP or abalone?), and re-rout. As they say in the software business, it's not a bug, it's a feature!

If done right, it could look -very- classy.

Thanks for the suggestions, but like I said it is beyond that now that I've done a top rout for the electronics.

I will be using a pearloid pickguard and try to get the routs cut right on a later project later.

C'est la vie! :D

I will still suggest on the clear one. If you weren't so impatient at the moment that it happened, you could have done a custom pickup ring in the same figure wood and stain it to match the top, it would have look killer. But since you already routed for top electronics you can dress up the cavity real good, tye wrap your cables, or even use a thick enough heat shrink tubbing and encase all of them, this will look stunning, but if you want to cover a beautiful figure wood, go ahead.

I like the white pearl and/or the green crushed pearl. It stays in the carriburst theme and matches the color of your burst The green may be too much green for your burst or it may just blend right in.

I was thinking (FWIW) do a musicman type oval pg to prevent covering too much of your burst. If you weren't planning on a pg you probably have the controls going through from the back anyway so you don't need to cover any extra maple that way......just a thought.

I will still suggest on the clear one.  If you weren't so impatient at the moment that it happened, you could have done a custom pickup ring in the same figure wood and stain it to match the top, it would have look killer. But since you already routed for top electronics you can dress up the cavity real good, tye wrap your cables, or even use a thick enough heat shrink tubbing and encase all of them, this will look stunning, but if you want to cover a beautiful figure wood, go ahead.

I was impatient do to the nice weather. I needed a few nice, dry days to get the finish on. In the good ol' nortwest we have a thing called rain that once it starts it can rain for months. With the rain comes high humidity. I wanted to have the guitar finished by the January 1st deadline, so hence the rush.

We had crappy weather the whole month of Sept. Plus after my surgery I was not up to working on the bass.

So, I am thinking over the clear pickguard idea along with the pearl. Blues- I gave up on the crushed green due to the color difference. I didn't think it would look good.

Thanks for the replys. I'll definately show picks when done, so you'll just have to wait and see what I do. B):D

PS, utterly smashing and destroying a guitar body against the Wall Of Death at full force and intent is a high that has -no- comparison.

You have to experience it, to actually do it, to understand it.

I prefer a slow trip through the bandsaw myself. It still ends up as firewood in the end and since I dont have a cement wall, no drywall holes to fix :D