New Guitar Ideas For 2nd Project

Matt

Hi all,

OK well ive just finished my first guitar and it sounds great. Now I have to make a second for an A-Level project, BUT it has to be innovative in some way, or just slightly different from any other.

My ideas:

Have either 1 or two pickups in a large pickup cavity, that can be moved forward or back to change the tone. with a large EMG style cover covering them.

Have a guitar made out of something cool like carbon fibre, but dont know where to get or how expensive it would be.

Could anyone please give any imput on what they think and what they would like in a perfect guitar that hasn't been taken advantage of fully yet.

Thanks alot.

Matt

matt,

your first idea has already been done. There are some basses (and proabably guitars too) t touhere that have a single pickup that can slide between the neck and bridge, they are mounted to two parallel rods, which are also the majority of the body.

carbon fibre? no help there-but of course you know to keep that stuff out of your lungs and off of your skin when tampering with it.

Peace.

Ryaan

As far as I know, there's a company in England making Carbon fibre guitars. I remember what they look like but I've no idea of the name.

What about doing something like inlaying the tips of fibre optics in the fretboard in the shape of an inlay? That's an idea I want to do in the future.

Well if the only parameter is that it be 'slightly' different, then there are loads of ideas.

Make your own knobs

Make your own bridge or stop tailpiece

Do an inlay of a dissimilar wood

Do a relief carving on the top

Make it have pkps from bridge to neck, as many as you can stick in there, ala Steve Morse's old Telecaster

Mix your hardware up, chrome and black alternating, or gold and black alternating

Make a radically different body shape, and I mean radically different

Mix everything I listed abover together!

• 2 years later...

The carbon fiber is a cool look theres a company called voodoo guitar works in ohio that has made some they look great but are very expensive....

my suggestion is try to design something competely unheard of.....im in the middle of a project thats sure to turn some heads but cant reveil the details untill im finished...

Edited by Ferdinand_Oconner

Here's a suggestion, sparked by your "two-pickups-in-same-cavity" idea that I've wanted to try for a bit.

What about having a single-coil sustainer pickup right up against the bridge of a 22-fret neck, then a regular neck humbucker pushed right up against that, and a normally-placed bridge hum. You'd be able to use the sustainer to get a really warm, mellow, sweet note, and the neck pickup would sound as if it were placed against a 24-fret board. I'd love to do this for a guitar project, and wire the 3 pickups to a 3-way switch.

Seriously, how many H/H/S setups have you seen?

Here's a suggestion, sparked by your "two-pickups-in-same-cavity" idea that I've wanted to try for a bit.

What about having a single-coil sustainer pickup right up against the bridge of a 22-fret neck, then a regular neck humbucker pushed right up against that, and a normally-placed bridge hum. You'd be able to use the sustainer to get a really warm, mellow, sweet note, and the neck pickup would sound as if it were placed against a 24-fret board. I'd love to do this for a guitar project, and wire the 3 pickups to a 3-way switch.

Seriously, how many H/H/S setups have you seen?

Jerry garcia had one.

what about a twin neck, guitar and bass on one

i know its been done before but it would be cool to make one.

Here's an idea i was having but i don't have the source of income or the time to do it. Make a double neck guitar that looks like 2 kinds of guitars joined together.

Here's an example:

Cut out 2 Contrasting body shapes out of two different kinds of wood (for instance a Les Paul and a Jem.

If you want the LP on the bottom you should take the non-cutaway side of the LP and put it up to the side of the Jem so that they overlapping a bit and are facing the same way.

Trace the part of the LP that's overlapping, onto the Jem and cut across the line so that they fit together like a puzzle and look like your too good to be playing a single guitar and need to chill with two of them.

You should use two contrasting woods (inexpensive if you don't have the money.

You could also put binding on the seam where they meet to emphasize the double guitar look.

Also, it would be heavy like a bear so you should probably make it semi hollow to reduce the weight

That would be sweet (but expensive).

I don't know if it's been done before, but just about everything has been done before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You get what i'm saying? cause i'm bad at explaining my ideas.

Edited by Mr. Preston Swift

ooo what about fretting right down to the bridge. so you can play uberly high