Help Idiot Build Metal Rig!

Drak

well i finally got around to tweaking that sonic maximizer around a bit...the verdict is in...it rocks.

i guess i had it trying to do too much...i put each knob at about 20% like dave said he had his...and it does noticeably tighten up the low end...makes the highs just SCREAM right out at you...and since i don't have it turned up too high...it no longer sounds overprocessed.

it's just a mean machine is what it is. :D

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah but thats mainly because there are guys like both of you who are happy so sit down and take time to explain how you go about getting good finishing results and how to build our tone machines in the first placeand not just end up withan expensive lump of wood.

its all about sharing and i reckon you guys have definatelly shared enough to get all this in return lol

Hey Drak, I was looking into old pics of the stuff that I wanted and I found

pedalboard.jpg

You think you might like it? I don't even remember were it was that they sold it, I got the pic to send it to the Digitech guys to see if it will make my GNX1 change patches better, like scroll up and down on separate switches, and more patches in at the same line.

Yup, that's the one I'm planning on getting.

Rivera Amp and Piranha should now be embarking on their long voyages across this big country of ours, slowly snaking their way across the tundra, mile after mile, to the Parish of St. Alfonso (where I stole the margarine)

:DB):D

You mean the "G*d*@@@!*^Mu*#er#@F%$#%%in' PIECEOF$h@#t" review?

I'm sure that golden moment, crystallized in time, is racing straight towards me, hehehe... :D

How about a picture of the 1010 half-embedded in the WOD?

Can I turn that review into Harmony Central?

:DB):D

You mean the "G*d*@@@!*^Mu*#er#@F%$#%%in' PIECEOF$h@#t" review?

I'm sure that golden moment, crystallized in time, is racing straight towards me, hehehe... :D

How about a picture of the 1010 half-embedded in the WOD?

Can I turn that review into Harmony Central?

B):D:D

Three rules of thumb when getting familiar with midi anything:

1. You'll always want to do something it won't let you.

2. It will always do 128 things you really don't care about.

2. Throwing it against the wall will void your warranty.

:D

Sorry I haven't checked back recently. I read that Wes got the BBE sounding right for his rig - sweet!

I forgot that the G-Major has an output for amp switching - thanks for the reminder Danger! I guess it doesn't matter since Drak passed on it (damn! :D ).

I'm going to resurrect that rig thread (show us your rig or something like that) - this has got me all worked up and has ended up with me adding some equipment. I switched out my 2 space rack for a 6 space. All I'm missing now is a power conditioner (all I really need it for is switching). I added the POD Pro and a dual EQ (to go with the G-Major and BBE362). I'll post pics later today.

Sorry for the side-track. This gear talk has got me seriously geeked.

I have NOT ruled out the G-Force quite yet actually. :D

Why?

Well, I have really been researching the Intellifex and G-force, they seem to be head to head with some minor differences, what I've found is the G-Force apparently has the superior sounding effects, but it's just not real sturdy to carry about town.

So if I'm not going to be carting it around that much and maybe more for a studio-type situation, the G-force might be the better route, I'm still keeping an open mind until I actually have the cash in hand to buy one or the other.

And the more I know about each the better informed a decision I can make, so I'm still listening.

Actually, I've been wondering about the live-vs-studio issue, because I want the ability to do both at some point, so I don't know if I should make maybe a secondary rack rig geared more for studio recording purposes, then the G-Force would work out -great-.

Now, speaking to that fact, I do have an original TC Electronic Chorus/Pitch Modulator/Flanger floorbox, those things get rave reviews, mine MUST be 15-20 years old, I bought that thing when they first came out, and it still works like new, so maybe instead of needing a complete processor for a live setup, I could just get by with the footbox hooked up via the effects loop, and keep the G-Major for the studio rig.

Does this make sense? I want to build a PRACTICAL rig, not something that looks fancy-schmancy with a million knobs, that's not my bag.

Remember guitar>cord>amp? :DB)

So any input about maybe splitting my original idea up into 2 functions would be appreciated. Like I said, I'm just sort of groping my way thru the dark here with this stuff, so anybody wanna light a torch, go right ahead. :D

I'm sorry, I get mixed up since I don't own them. The one I'm talking about is the one you have.

G-Major I believe. The one that is comparable to the Intellifex head for head.

I better add this in, as it effects everything probably.

I am pretty sure (unless someone can put a thorn in my decision) that I'm going to buy an Ashly DPX 200, which is a parametric EQ / Compressor/Limiter all in one.

The only other parametric EQ I ever see listed is the Furman PQ3.

I do a lot of country style material, and compressors/limiters are great for country music, so I thought that the Ashly was a good choice for my overall rig. STUDIO speaking.

And I am starting to look at a lot of this equipment as studio-oriented material, not so much needed as a live rig needs.

That's where I started considering the fact that maybe I should -consider- splitting this stuff up into studio rig/ live rig / scenario.

Hey, I'm learning, but I am concious of what I'm trying to do here, and when the situation changes, I let you know.

A lot of this technology seems more directed towards a studio application, and since that's perfectly fine w/ me, I figured maybe I should consider splitting it up as such, unless I can configure it to do both duties as one great live/studio rig/

This is so freaking FUN! :DB):D

I am pretty sure (unless someone can put a thorn in my decision) that I'm going to buy an Ashly DPX 200, which is a parametric EQ / Compressor/Limiter all in one.

The only other parametric EQ I ever see listed is the Furman PQ3.

I do a lot of country style material, and compressors/limiters are great for country music, so I thought that the Ashly was a good choice for my overall rig. STUDIO speaking.

The DPX 200 doesn't have a high impedance input for guitar so if you want to use it between your guitar and pre-amp (which is where one usually places a compressor), then you would need some kind of buffer between it and your guitar. Remember my earlier suggestion of the Rocktron Xpression? It has the parametric EQ, compressor, and high impedance input for guitar. I don't know about the quality of these features, but they are all in one single unit... and more.

Edited by Saber

OK, point taken. :D

I looked up the Xpression one day, I can't remember why I sort of dropped it.

I'll reinvestigate it today.

BTW, I thought I remember reading that the DPX200 had two inputs, one for a mic preamp, the other for standard (high impedance?) line in.

Was I wrong?

Thanks for the input Saber, keep me straight!

BTW, I thought I remember reading that the DPX200 had two inputs, one for a mic preamp, the other for standard (high impedance?) line in.

Was I wrong?

470k ohm is typical for a guitar input and higher is even better. According to the Ashly DPX 200 specs, it has a >/= 1k ohm mic input (exactly how much is >/= 1k ohm is not too precise but a balanced lo-Z mic input is too low for a guitar) and it has a line input that's 20k ohm balanced, 10k ohm unbalanced.

On another note, if you're also thinking of noise reduction, ISP Technologies has recently released the Decimator ProRackG. And Channel 1 could possibly double as an impedance buffer between guitar and DPX 200, but you would have to test that out to be 100% sure of optimum signal level compatibility since the DPX 200 is not specifically designed for a guitar signal.

Edited by Saber

AFA noise reduction, both the Piranha (and if I get it) the Xpression have the Rocktron HUSH noise reduction system.

I'm really looking for a parametric EQ, delay and chorus effects, and maybe a compressor limiter.

I'm now going off to investigate the Xpression one more time.

So the Furman PQ3 has the correct inputs for guitar?

That's the one I see most often used by guitarists, so I just assumed it was correct inputs.

I'd much rather get the right effect off the bat and not have to buy another effect to make the first effect work correctly, if you follow. Just means more knobs, more weight, more rack space taken, and I'm trying to keep it compact and simple.

So it seems it's boiling down to:

1) G-Major

2) Intellifex

3) Xpression

If I get the Intellifex or G-Major, then I'll need maybe the Furman PQ3 too.

I have to find out which of these offers compression, if any.

And which ones work best with a stereo power amp.

Maybe we (well, 'I') should start taring each one of these units apart and comparing effects offered, prices, etc.

I think this is an intelligent way to go about it so I have the best chance of finding the appropriate effects processor(s) for my applications, yes?

Thanks again, the help is greatly appreciated. :D

Hey, I had an idea yesterday. If I separate the amp from the rest of the effects, then the rest of the effects would be pretty damn light comparatively speaking once inside the rack case.

That amp weighs like 50 freakin' pounds. I was considering building a separate custom (wood) enclosure for it , or just buy another rackmount and mount it separately so I could transport them separately, because if the amp and effects are all put in the same rack, that MF is gonna be HEAVY and I think more than a bit awkward to handle. So if I broke it down into 2 racks I think it would be much easier to transport???

Good idea? Stupid?

Drak, brother, you're killing me.

Buy the G-major and be done with it. I've carried mine around with no ill result so far. Granted, it was no major North American tour or anything, but the G-major made it there and back to multiple gigs and was fine. No, you probably don't want to drop your rack from the back of the truck. Mine always goes in a special safe spot.

Anyway, yes the G-major comes with a compressor. If you go to the T.C. Electronic website, and check you the G-major they have a great video demo you can download. It's hosted by Marc Cooper (Coop De'Ville). I've never heard of the guy, but he seems to know what he's talking about. Check it out, it is well worth the download; the next best thing to trying it in person.

:D

So the Furman PQ3 has the correct inputs for guitar?

That's  the one I see most often used by guitarists, so I just assumed it was correct inputs.

The PQ3 has both line level and instrument input. The instrument input does have a higher input impedance than line level devices but at 100k it is still a bit low for a guitar so you would get some "tone sucking" or loss of highs. It would be good in an effects loop, but not too great if you want to plug a guitar directly into it. Dimebag Darrel uses one but his wireless system buffers the signal before the PQ3.

The G-major is a great unit but for the effects loop because it's a line level device, but if what you're looking for is EQ and Compression between guitar and pre-amp, you can't plug your guitar directly into it like with the much more expensive G-Force.

to match impedances would it not be really easy to just make a small box with a mosfet buffer in it?

i realise its one more thing to carry around and means more cables but it would be a very easy fix to make and would mean it would be possible to run just about any gear between the preamp and the guitar.

to match impedances would it not be really easy to just make a small box with a mosfet buffer in it?

i realise its one more thing to carry around and means more cables but it would be a very easy fix to make and would mean it would be possible to run just about any gear between the preamp and the guitar.

It's definitely a possible solution for the impedance issue. The only thing left would be to make sure that the line-level device can work with the lower signal strength of the guitar signal, which is usually possible when the unit has an input level adjustment. But from what I got in previous posts, Drak is not into building electronics devices. And in his own words, "I'd much rather get the right effect off the bat and not have to buy another effect to make the first effect work correctly, if you follow. Just means more knobs, more weight, more rack space taken, and I'm trying to keep it compact and simple." But a simple solution might be to get one of these. It could be tucked away in the rack case behind the other effects.

While I was on the axess electronics website, I saw something else that might interest you, Drak. Instead of a footswitch for your Rivera amp, you could use this. It could be controlled by whatever MIDI pedalboard you use. You might find their stuff a bit pricey though.

Edited by Saber

yeah lovekraft i saw drak saying that he wanted to keep it minimal but i thought id chuck it in anyway. however that little box would probablly be perfect if itd sit in the rack. the other alternative is always to add internal high impedance mosfet source folowers to the input of the EQ

Thanks once again for all the help!

I'm still thinking the processor over, I gues this is the area that's going to take most of the pre-thinking.

BTW-1. The Piranha arrived today! :D

BTW-2. The box the guy shipped it in was a box for a T.C. Electronic rack effects processor called the M-One I believe. What's up with that? Was the M-One any good?