Help Idiot Build Metal Rig!

Drak

drak no worries tho i think youd be better off asking ansil or paul, one of the guys in the US to do it for you. i could make a good job of it but i know they could make it look alot neater than me lol and shipping wouldnt be such a fag. ill have a look see what else i can dig up on it tho.

streamline, i dont think im gonna have the cash for the whammy for a little bit. i need to sort out a computer soon and after ive got that and a decent mic or two im gonna be totally skint untill the end of january. if you can hang around untill then then great lol but otherwise im not gonna be able to get it off you. pity, would be cool to see how much mayhem i could cause with 2 whammys :D

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, no problem, didn't know you were outside the US.

Anyway, thanks so much for that link Johnny, that manual is -great!-

I told the guy to hold on to it until the first week in January to let the shipping madness die down to a more normal level, I didn't see any need to ship it out right in the middle of Christmas Madness.

Told the Piranha guy the same thing, just hold on to it until January.

Having them get here in a million busted pieces does me no good, and I won't be using them immediately anyway. :D

WoW! B)

I will say one thing...

I've found at least three different sites/pages (johnny's link being one) that go into -extreme- detail reguarding the tonal variations possible with just the Rivera amp alone, and definitive directions of how to get different tones/sounds (there's even a Lynch Mob setting Dave :D ) , and it's quite blowing me away the options that come stock on this puppy, it'll take me months just to dial in that amp I believe, much less the effects that I'll add in.

I'm really not a knob spam, but it does look like Drak's got his winter down time covered quite well, hehehe...should be fun.

Lynch Mob setting?!! Yeah baby!!!

Sounds like you're set for a while then. I'm still having major trouble adapting to you getting into the heavier stuff. After seeing all of those Tele's, it's hard for me to imagine you getting into a metal type sound.

Are you still building guitars this winter or are you taking a break until warmer spraying weather arrives?

Lynch Mob setting?!! Yeah baby!!!

:D:DB):D

Sounds like you're set for a while then. I'm still having major trouble adapting to you getting into the heavier stuff. After seeing all of those Tele's, it's hard for me to imagine you getting into a metal type sound.

One of the first guitars I built was a pure Metal axe, and I still love it. EMG's, Floyd, etc, not to mention I'm always seemingly working on a Rhoads V of some description. And even a few of the Tele's will be preamped. And I've been into the heaviest of heavy metal for over 25 years now. :D

Are you still building guitars this winter or are you taking a break until warmer spraying weather arrives?

Nope, all guitar building stuff has ceased for the winter. It helps keep it interesting to put it away for a few months and give it a break when you build for 10 years and just as a hobby. It's not so compulsive anymore as it used to be. If I never stopped and took a break, it would get on my nerves. It's important to me to keep the fun factor high on the priority list since the whole reason I build guitars is just for fun.

HERE is a link to a nice big pic of the front of the amp in case anyone's interested.

:D

I guess I ain't the only one thinking about it! Now dig those old pics of your metal axe and post them. It better be heavier looking that the badass amp you just got!

I'll do ya one better.

I'll post it in the GOTM just for laughs.

How's that?

What? ...You guys think I'm some old snaggletoothed geezin' balding guy named Earl with some big archtop smokin' a freakin' pipe whilst sedately relaxing in my satin smoking jacket and loafers or something?

Dayum, didn't know buildin' a few Teles here and there would promote such schizoid thoughts.

I was probably playin' UFO and Montrose (circa '78-'79) while you were studyin' yer ABC's in elementary school.

Bwahahahahaa!!!

And gotta snag a new quad of EL34's too. Yumm. :D

eerr drak man i think you mean an octuplet. have a look around in the manual i linked you to and it has a diagram showing the tube layout in all those amps. the version you're getting has 6 12AX7s and 8 EL34s i think it was.

man after a few years you will have spent more on new tubes than on the amp in the first place :DB)

What? ...You guys think I'm some old snaggletoothed geezin' balding guy named Earl with some big archtop smokin' a freakin' pipe whilst sedately relaxing in my satin smoking jacket and loafers or something?

i knew better...matter of fact i always wondered why a guy so into metal was building 12 teles at once.but i know how that goes...i will be building a strat from parts soon so i can expand into the blues...

i have always loved stevie ray ,about ten years ago i learned a little less than 1/2 of his version of little wing....now i figure it is time to learn the rest of it(and relearn what i forgot)and voodoo chile as well.....

then i will see where that takes me

edit...mmmm,listening to "wall of denial" right now.....heavenly tone he gets!

i knew better...matter of fact i always wondered why a guy so into metal was building 12 teles at once.

Well, I'm sort of glad you asked!

I'll explain it.

See, I have a sort of 'philosophy' when it comes to building guitars for myself that sort of materialized over time for me.

And that philosophy is what I call my 'clean to mean' philosophy.

See, I love so many different kinds of music, and it takes so long to build a guitar and so much effort goes into one, that I no longer wanted to spend a year to make a guitar that only had 1 voice to it.

So all my guitars now have the ability to do clean tones great, and usually very very mean tones as well. It's planned out that way.

And it starts off with the clean tone, that is the 'base platform', then I add in the 'mean' thru various means, either an Afterburner, SPC control, hot pkps, lots of ways to do it.

But it has to start life having a -great- clean tone, not just 'adequate' (coil-splitting HB's? Yecch!), but GREAT clean tone. Because I like a lot of music that has clean guitar in it.

And Telecasters have some of the best clean tones out there.

You see, Tele tone can be just as in-your-freaking-face ballsy as some super-heavy distortion. In it's own way.

Strat tone is sexy and warm and smooth and all that, but Tele tone is rip-your-face-off. In it's own way.

So Teles are a great platform to start one of my guitars off with. Sweet clean, ...but ballsy-raw too.

So do NOT be taken in by the 'look' of a Telecaster (well, mine anyway) because chances are that if you played it, you might get burned by it, you might be damned surprised how hot it'll get if you step on it and start to turn things up.

Why do you think there's FIVE pot holes, hehehe...

But if you keep those same controls down, it'll just gush clean tones at ya.

And I never planned to build a dozen, even I don't know how exactly that happened.

There ya go. :D

ah drak you are right. you will only need the quad.

you still got 7 dual triodes to watch tho lol. man you'll be able to fry eggs on that thing wont you :D

lol. nah man. keep with the frying. you may be a guitarist but can you make a bacon, egg, lettuce and mayo sandwich while sweep picking arpeggios. when you can, then you'll be a real man lol

1. I'll post it in the GOTM just for laughs.

2. Dayum, didn't know buildin' a few Teles here and there would promote such schizoid thoughts.

1. Lets see it!

2. A few, a few!!! Try 12 at a time on a single thread. Not to count the few that have been given or met the WOD.

But seriously, I can't care less the type of guitar, they are beautiful pieces of art work, and if you like them, well that's all that matters, ain't it!

Why wait till feb. Is it done or you are waiting to the real snow to start falling to postpone it a few months later and then say that you're waiting for better waether.

And yes, the Tele is a very versatile instrument, I heard nice blues, country, even some metal out of them, is just that they are so UGLY!!!

Why wait till feb. Is it done or you are waiting to the real snow to start falling to postpone it a few months later and then say that you're waiting for better waether.

if it is the one i am thinking of...it has been finished a long time ago....

but then again,this may be one that i have not seen either

you know drak...sometime you should corral em all together,get a wide angle lens,step back far enough to get all of em in the same shot,and take a pic

the old adage 'always keep 'em wanting more' applies here I think, hehehe...

or maybe 'always keep 'em guessing' is more appropo.

And yes Wes, it is the one you're thinking of.

I'm not posting it yet in respect to the other entries on the GOTM this month.

I'd get my arse handed to me! (I may be slightly geezin', but I'm not totally stupid yet)

If I'm going to bother to enter it, I at least want a chance of winning.

:DB):D