Dimebuckers?

JoJo T. Magnifficent

Yay! my second post :D . hey guys, im new here, just moved from musician forums (which has kinda gone down the pooper recently).

I have a question... Does anyone know if SD will continue making the SH-13 Dimebucker? casue i was considering getting one, but not for a while. plus becasue i live in New Zealand, we tend to only get mainstream stuff, and Im a little worried that the local instrument shop mihgt not be able to get me one if they do cease production for 2005.

I would sincerely doubt that, in the wake of Dime's death, that any company in its right mind would discontinue a 'dime' endoresed product- i would imagine that demand is going through the roof right now.

I would say that you can be safe in getting one- that said, I too have heard the Bill Larence in question, and i think that it is a superior unit. To my ears, it didnt seem as overly harsh as the duncan model.

Luke

a friend of mine got a set of XL-500s, a bridge and a neck. he swore by them, said they were some of the best Pups he'd ever heard.

he didnt actually pay too much for them, only problem is that you have to wait a fair while for them. i think it was about 2 months for him.

That's the price you pay for hand-wound pickups - you have to wait for somebody (Bill) to wind them. OTOH, how many pickups do you think Larry DiMarzio wound this year, or Seymour Duncan, for that matter? It's all about what you want, and what you're willing to do to get it. If you want XLs, you'll have to wait - if you must have instant gratification, get Dimebuckers.

Not much mate. Depending on how he packages it up, anywhere between $10US and $30US. Also depends a bit on what options you choose in shipping (express, insurance ect). I just had an EMG ZW sent from the states express for $30US... and that was probably a bit on the expensive side, to give you an idea.

So your looking at what, around $50US per humbucker from memory? + maybe $20US postage at worst? Thats only about $100NZ, which is without a doubt at least $40-75 cheaper than you will find the Dimebucker locally.

Not much mate. Depending on how he packages it up, anywhere between $10US and $30US. Also depends a bit on what options you choose in shipping (express, insurance ect). I just had an EMG ZW sent from the states express for $30US... and that was probably a bit on the expensive side, to give you an idea.

So your looking at what, around $50US per humbucker from memory? + maybe $20US postage at worst? Thats only about $100NZ, which is without a doubt at least $40-75 cheaper than you will find the Dimebucker locally.

more like 140 to 175 cheaper. i think dimebuckers are $250NZ (but im not sure if thats including install or not at the shop, but more likely not.) I will definately have to look into one of these XL-500's then. cheers jivin.

P.S- my uncle is a Brisbanian too.

im lucky, i just found out yesterday that this music store in my area carries bill lawrence pups...

1nf1d3l, you can order Bill Lawrence pickups directly from Bill and Becky:

http://www.billlawrence.com/

There's no reason to involve a dealer.

Also, make sure you get real Bill Lawrence pickups - if they are Bill Lawrence USA pickups, they're not made by Bill, and they're not very good! :D They're being made by Bill's ex-partner, Jzchak Wajcman, and have become notorious as the "Stew-Mac Fakes" - avoid them at all costs.

im lucky, i just found out yesterday that this music store in my area carries bill lawrence pups...

1nf1d3l, you can order Bill Lawrence pickups directly from Bill and Becky:

Also, make sure you get real Bill Lawrence pickups - if they are Bill Lawrence USA pickups, they're not made by Bill, and they're not very good! :D They're being made by Bill's ex-partner, Jzchak Wajcman, and have become notorious as the "Stew-Mac Fakes" - avoid them at all costs.

thanks man, hes doing like 30 % off list price right now, so thats why im happy, but ill see if its USA or not next time im there

...hes doing like 30 % off list price right now...

I guess I'm not making my point clear - sorry, let me try again. Since you can buy real Bill Lawrence pickups direct for the same price he pays for them, how can he offer you a discount without losing money? I suspect he's selling the USAs.

Edited by lovekraft

you can order Bill Lawrence pickups directly from Bill and Becky:

Ill definately be getting them off the site if i get some.

Im going to unbelievable lengths just to try and get a Shecter guitar here in New Zealand from a store (only 2 stores in the country can sell them, and they are waiting on a shipment orderd 9 months ago. they expect itll arive in a month or 2 B) ). i could get them online, but id rather have the ease of takin it into a dealer if something goes wrong, casue id have to pay to get it shipped back anyway if i got it on the net.

I'm a bit confused here:

I want to clarify the authenticity of this pickups. Contrary to what some people believe, there has always been only one company that produces Bill Lawrence pickups. The man in Bethlehem, PA who calls himself Bill Lawrence, and claims to be making Bill Lawrence pickups, is actually Willi Stich, a performer, pickup designer and ex-partner of the original Bill Lawrence company. The Bill Lawrence company was founded in 1965 by Willi Stich and his partner, E.Z. Wajcman, and it was Mr. Wajcman who came up with the trade name "Bill Lawrence". In 1984 Mr. Stich and Mr. Wajcman parted ways and Mr. Wajcman became the sole owner of the original company and the Bill Lawrence name. Mr. Wajcman has continued to produce the same pickups, on the same machines and with the same materials, right here is the U.S.A. Willi Stich has been misrepresenting himself as "Bill Lawrence" in order to market his own pickups. Mr. Stich makes very good pickups, but it's a shame that he is confusing customers by using the name of another company to market them. Mr. Stich really needs to go by his own name and find a new business name. Prior to co-founding the Bill Lawrence company, Mr. Stich performed as "Billy Lorento", a trade name that was owned by the Framus guitar company for which he designed the "Billy Lorento Model" guitar. Just as he stopped using the Billy Lorento name after he co-founded the Bill Lawrence company, Willi Stich should stop using the Bill Lawrence name now that he has a new company

OK, maybe I can clarify it for you - Willi Stich is the man we know as Bill Lawrence, and Wajcman is his (twice) ex-business partner who "owns" the Bill Lawrence trademark and produces the USA pickups. Regardless of Mr. Wajcman's legal standing, the pickups he produces are not being made by the man who developed the L6S at Gibson and designed the original pickups that bear Bill's name - the Wajcman products are at best pale imitations of the real thing, and the marketing of these legal fakes (notably by StewMac) has done much to damage the reputation of the master pickup winder over the years. For more info, wade through this thread, if you've got the patience:

http://guitar.usenews.org/group/alt.guitar...age-338066.html

On top of everything else he has done to contribute to the music community at large for well over 50 freakin' years, which is more than most folks ever let on, he was buddies with my HERO, Roy Buchanan, and even helped sober Roy up for a spell.

He gets my vote every day, hehehe... :D

And I do use his pkps on some guitars too. B)