Just Got A Sick-ass Rig, Got Some Questions

maxxslipknot

Wes, isn't the Mode 4 solid state or at least a hybrid?

hybrid...tube preamp,solid state power amp.

something interesting...this amp has the capability of totally shutting off the preamp and using just the power amp while sending another preamp through the effects loop with no coloration from the in head preamp....

That sounds pretty cool. Heard a guy using a Mode Four at a gig. Nice enough sound but far too big for his needs.

i just use it for the headroom...i don't like the sound of tubes pushed to the limit...

some guys prefer clipping...i guess i am just different.

but my mode 4 sounds completely different than most though...i changed out the preamp tube for something a little more harmonically rich,and then i added the metal zone for the gain...with the pedal off it is very crisp and clean.

and then i have the right side of the amp set up for warm semi dirty blues

Please dont use a metalzone with a tube amp, try a nice tubescreamer.

my metalzone works great with my mode 4....just because you use a non tube gain,it does not take away the tube tone of the amp.

i preferred my zoom driver before it broke down...but it is also non tube

The mode 4 has a solid state preamp. Try using a metalzone or any other cheap-o distortion pedal with a tube poweramp... its no fun. Takes away alot of the tubes saturation and natural tone. I personally dont see the point of the hybrid amps with a tube preamp but solid state power amp, IMO it should be the other way around. A solid state preamp has a nice attack and overall tighter sound and a tube poweramp helps smooth out the typically harsh sound most solid state amps produce.

Im a bit of a tone freak though, everything has to be perfect for me to be happy :D

That sounds pretty cool. Heard a guy using a Mode Four at a gig. Nice enough sound but far too big for his needs.

i just use it for the headroom...i don't like the sound of tubes pushed to the limit...

some guys prefer clipping...i guess i am just different.

but my mode 4 sounds completely different than most though...i changed out the preamp tube for something a little more harmonically rich,and then i added the metal zone for the gain...with the pedal off it is very crisp and clean.

and then i have the right side of the amp set up for warm semi dirty blues

What tube did you put in as a replacement? Was is a difficult job?

The mode 4 has a solid state preamp. Try using a metalzone or any other cheap-o distortion pedal with a tube poweramp... its no fun. Takes away alot of the tubes saturation and natural tone. I personally dont see the point of the hybrid amps with a tube preamp but solid state power amp, IMO it should be the other way around. A solid state preamp has a nice attack and overall tighter sound and a tube poweramp helps smooth out the typically harsh sound most solid state amps produce.

Im a bit of a tone freak though, everything has to be perfect for me to be happy

unfortunately you have never heard my setup...if you had(since i know you love metal like i do)you would probably go right out and buy the exact same setup and spend hours trying to tweak it just right to sound just like it.trust me...it is awesome....and i may be more of a tone freak than you.

when i try out a new guitar at a music shop,i have to carry my entire stack up there...because even if they have the mode 4 and the metal zone it will not sound the same.

but i DESPISE tube distortion...it is much too sloppy for what i need it for.which is why most metal bands turn their gain way down and scoop the hell out of it to make up for it.

the way i do it gets more saturation with less clipping and more distinct seperation between notes

although i have been thinking about that rocktron hush every since drak mentioned it :D

What tube did you put in as a replacement? Was is a difficult job?

it just pulls and the new one plugs in...it is tough to reach though...i can't remember which one i used...i bought several 12ax7s and tried them all...but i couldn't tell you what i ended up with

Ive heard clips of your rig, surprises me because you actually get a nice thick sound.. even though I hate scooped mids you mkae it sound good. Indeed, most tube amps are pretty "loose" but a proper noise gate can help tighten things up.. I know my ISP Noise Decimator does wonders for my 5150.

Different strokes for different folks.

Ive heard clips of your rig,

no you haven't....i have never successfully recorded with that amp....

i use something else to record with.unfortunately it is a secret(i HATE keeping secrets but someone else clued me in about recording with what i use,but made me promise not to tell,because then it would tell on them as well)

there is too much prejudice on the web about the recording rig i use...and if you and others knew what it was,you would never listen to it and judge it fairly

the mode 4 sounds much,much better than those clips you heard...but i have not figured out how to transfer that tone to a recording yet.as soon as i do,i will record with it

Different strokes for different folks.

sure 'nuff....

No way! your zoom driver broke down? how that Happen? I have one and it just kicks ass, I can see me using it for a very long time.