What Make Of Pickups?

whisky182

given the option of these pickups, which would you choose?!  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

as you may know, i did a poll a few days ago about which pickup configuration you would most prefer, and the most common was two humbuckers. i'm now seeing which brand of humbuckers i should use, and if you would be so kind, could you also state the type of pickup ie distiortion/blues in a post

Cheers guys :D

Your post to me seems somewhat ambigous, but I voted assuming that you're asking what I'd like. And my choice would be EMGs, simply because that's the only brand I've got any experience with (played others, but either unbranded, or not knowing what brand, or not in equipment that allowed me to make a fair judgement), and I've been rather happy with them since I got them. In my case, it's an 81 and an 85 (formerly neck and bridge, respectively, but now the other way around), but I think most of their stuff seems like it'll do what it promises.

I'd have to say when it comes to a combination of tone and vlaue for money i've never been able to beat Kent Armstrong pickups, not the best in the world obviously but half the price of Seymour Duncans and DiMarzio's and a good 8/10ths of the tone at worst.

The sensible, tight fisted guys choice.

Had most things in the list, gibson pickups are just over priced junk, fender aint much better, EMG's i've never really got on with, Duncans rule! but for me, the Dimarzio's are godly. Steve's special and air norton, (yes he's a petrucci fan) best sound ever. Agree that thw lawrence pickups are cool thou, just never wanted to wait that long!

PRS Dragon IIs. Love em to bits, and Mc'Carty's a close second.

EMG's, have used Fender LAce, SDuncans, from the SH6, 10,HR1 JBJR, and after switching to EMG, holymoly no turn back. SD gives a great tone, but the adjustability in the EMG is far better, and it realy let the guitar sing, I thought it was all hype about that the strings will vibrate longer, but it is not.

i havent played many:

emg's, mighty mite, di marzios, seymores - i reckon the di marzios are the best for me: probably the jazzier ones in the neck (forgotten the name - PAF?) and something rawker in the bridge.

i do really wanna play the lace sensor pickups and the sc EMG's - heard good things about em!

Mike

Chalk one more up to Wind Your Own.. I'm getting ready to. I've built my winder and sourced all the parts. Startup cost can be high if you're looking for vintage spec wire, but even at that it's no more than what you would pay for 2 high priced pickups.

I'm getting ready to try out some GFS pups i got off of ebay. Pretty cheap and the construction on them is like a tank. They are 62 alnico overwound tele set.. modeled after the guys 62 tele stock pups. 9.2k bridge. I swear you could drive a car over that thing. cloth leads, cotton cording wrapping the coils, nice grouding plate underneath.. vintage FORBON bobbin fiber..

Bottom line was I wanted to wind my own and wasn't going to go drop 200 bucks on fralins or something, but needed a set to tide me over. They sell vintage repro PAFs and stuff for 30-35 a piece or so.