Strap Locks...

Pr3Va1L

hey there,

i'd like to protect my guitars (<3 em so much...) and i was looking around for strap locks... and saw that these things where 20$ each and that's for 1 guitar.

now i saw these on ebay: FleaBay

was wondering if any of you tryed some of those cheap little devices...

if they suck, are there any other ways to get some kinda lock for straps... (i don't mind paying 20+$ but not for 1 guitar!! something inter-changable would be cool.)

thank you!

I use medium sized metal washers that have a hole big enough to fit the strap button without falling off. I never take my straps off though. I also use these on a few of my guitars. I'm friends with the owner of that store and the owner of Straplocks. I like their design because they never break, they're cheap, and they add a few inches to the strap. I'm a tall guy and use only vintage leather straps (straight from the 60s and 70s hand tooled stuff) and they usually aren't quite long enough. Those extra inches help. Of course.... I don't buy their straplocks though... I just make em' myself. Nothing but a little leather and some fancy washers. Nothing to it.... and you can still remove the strap from the guitar.

I wouldn't recommend the ones in you link. I couldn't trust plastic to hold my guitar safely.

Although I cant vouch for the straplocks in the ebay auction, I can tell you what I use.

I only use these Schaller Strap Locks.

They are much beffier than the Dunlop variety, which I dont like. At 13 bucks from Warmoth (which is where I order mine from-usually included in batch orders I place), they are reasonably priced in my opinion.

If you want to go simple and dont mind not being able to remove the strap, I would go the washer route.

Although I cant vouch for the straplocks in the ebay auction, I can tell you what I use.

I only use these Schaller Strap Locks.

They are much beffier than the Dunlop variety, which I dont like.  At 13 bucks from Warmoth (which is where I order mine from-usually included in batch orders I place), they are reasonably priced in my opinion.

Me too. I've got those on every guitar I own. I have about 3 different straps that move around from guitar to guitar (or banjo). I really like the Schaller design too.

Recently, I saw that Schaller had a new recessed plug (to totally do away with the strap pin) that their strap locks would plug into. Very cool. When the strap is off the guitar, it doesn't have any strap pins visible. I have yet to get a few of those and fit them in the guitars I have.

I also don't think that 20 bucks is much to spend on a little hardware. I still own the first strap lock I ever bought and it's about 15 plus years old now.

My Godin guitar came with a Dunlop button, though I didn't know it at the time. I thought to myself, ***? What's with this crappy button? My strap keeps coming off!

When I realized what it WAS, I changed my other guitar to the Dunlop (which gave me the part that attaches to the strap) and haven't really looked back. A lot of people here seem to not like them, but I'm getting along with them just fine. :D

Greg

I've got Dunlops on my bass, and love them. What is it about the Schallers that you people prefer? The Dunlops are a simple design, are easy to use, and don't fall off. What can be improved about that? :D

Also, Dunlop makes recessed straplock "jacks". Or, you could just recess the normal ones by drilling a big enough hole, and filling the gap caused by the angled top edge with CA or optically clear epoxy.

i'm a bit confused... :D

anyway, i use those discs on two strats and are doing fine. then again, i don't really wave my guitar around like a madman when playing. i've only dropped a guitar once in 12 years in the first place, so i guess i'm not a good judge of the sturdiness/reliability of the dunlop lokstraps.

I got dunlop ones at my Sam Ash a few weeks ago for like 10 bucks. Maybe it was there annual sale they have almost every week. LOL. Im sure you can make some with those little keychains that have the locking system where when you put in the botton on one side, and you put both halves apart it separates. Well you take 2 of those, about 4 washers and that 2 locking washer and fiddle with them so you can screw them in, and walah. A strap-lock. But follow others advise, im still fairly new to guitars, a year aint that much compared to a lot of people here.