Aanj In Action And A Lesson Learned

So,

Just looking at plans and actual guitars that feature the Ibanez AANJ, I kept thinking to myself, "Bah, placebo effect. If you look at it, it's rounded off but really only gives you a centimetre more of non-heel. Whoop-dee-doo."

I even wanted to post a few times on here asking (but actually insinuating, since I had made my mind up) what was so special about the AANJ and if at the end of the day it really mattered, or if people just liked it because it "seemed" to be a more elegant heel.

Now, I shouldn't say that I had a "lesson learned" from this, because as you've noted, I did NOT in fact post such threads. The lesson was actually learned a long time ago not to just spout off without researching first. Unfortunately from time to time, research is theoretical and I still end up in debates, but that's the nature of being a talkative and curious kind of guy. This time, I KNEW that the answer to my question could be found at the music store next time I was in and remembering to check. As luck would have it, I remembered last time I was at Long and McQuade's, and I quickly hunted down an Ibanez (haven't a clue the model) with an AANJ.

Let me tell you, it DOES make a difference. I'm not much for playing high frets, but even just hovering around the 17th fret, the 'placebo' effect kicks in, because when you DO go up into the absolute upper reaches, you KNOW that you're going to get the clearance that you so yearn for in other guitars, so you don't have to worry so much about adjusting your grip in "preparation" for playing those upper registers. All well and good, and there's something to be said even for pure mental confidence.

But then when you actually DO get up there, it's awesome. It's not a gimmick, it works and it feels great.

In summary: researching before spouting has once again proven valuable. AANJ IS awesome, it's not just for show. I'm a believer. :D

Greg

So,

Just looking at plans and actual guitars that feature the Ibanez AANJ, I kept thinking to myself, "Bah, placebo effect.  If you look at it, it's rounded off but really only gives you a centimetre more of non-heel.  Whoop-dee-doo."

I even wanted to post a few times on here asking (but actually insinuating, since I had made my mind up) what was so special about the AANJ and if at the end of the day it really mattered, or if people just liked it because it "seemed" to be a more elegant heel.

Now, I shouldn't say that I had a "lesson learned" from this, because as you've noted, I did NOT in fact post such threads.  The lesson was actually learned a long time ago not to just spout off without researching first.  Unfortunately from time to time, research is theoretical and I still end up in debates, but that's the nature of being a talkative and curious kind of guy.  This time, I KNEW that the answer to my question could be found at the music store next time I was in and remembering to check.  As luck would have it, I remembered last time I was at Long and McQuade's, and I quickly hunted down an Ibanez (haven't a clue the model) with an AANJ.

Let me tell you, it DOES make a difference.  I'm  not much for playing high frets, but even just hovering around the 17th fret, the 'placebo' effect kicks in, because when you DO go up into the absolute upper reaches, you KNOW that you're going to get the clearance that you so yearn for in other guitars, so you don't have to worry so much about adjusting your grip in "preparation" for playing those upper registers.  All well and good, and there's something to be said even for pure mental confidence.

But then when you actually DO get up there, it's awesome.  It's not a gimmick, it works and it feels great.

In summary:  researching before spouting has once again proven valuable.  AANJ IS awesome, it's not just for show.  I'm a believer.  :D

Greg

the main reason i used to prefer neckthrough guitars is because of the almost non-existent neck-joint. but I recently acquired an AANJ RG570. it completely rules. doesn't even feel like a bolt-on guitar. I was amazed. now I have faith in bolt-on guitars! I've only considered buying neckthrough guitars up until my enlightenment...

Edited by iskim86

One thing that always baffles me with promo photos like this..... why would you put a guitar down on little rocks like that? :D

I know generally lacquer isnt THAT weak, but I mean it still wouldnt take much to leave a lot of tiny little scratches in your freshly buffed perfect finish B)

- Dan

PS: Greg, I hate you for posting this :D You've only made me feel even worse about the chunky heel on the warmoth guitar im assembling :D lol

AANJ=All Access Neck Joint

I found 7 pages referenced by searching AANJ. You'd probably have to read a while to find it in there, but trust me, it's there. Now it's in there again.

BTW, while reading through some searches I've found a lot of information I wasn't looking for, but filed away in the back of the brain for future reference.

The search feature here is priceless. :D

One thing that always baffles me with promo photos like this..... why would you put a guitar down on little rocks like that? 

HAHAHA I dont think those are rock's, man that's crapet :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

One thing that always baffles me with promo photos like this..... why would you put a guitar down on little rocks like that? :D

I know generally lacquer isnt THAT weak, but I mean it still wouldnt take much to leave a lot of tiny little scratches in your freshly buffed perfect finish B)

- Dan

PS: Greg, I hate you for posting this :D You've only made me feel even worse about the chunky heel on the warmoth guitar im assembling :D lol

Yeap, carpet it is,

And this is why when I ordered my Warmoth neck I asked for no neck bolt holes on it. I think that you could ask for no holes on the heel, you are paying for it.

What the heck? I know for sure I typed out what AANJ stands for, but I must have accidentally deleted it when revising! :D I was going to take it as an opportunity to say it so that it wouldn't have to be asked. Wonder what happened? Oops!

Of course, there ARE better solutions out there, fa' sheezy. Just saying that in terms of more or less 'standard' bolt-on techniques, this one actually works and feels great. :D

Greg

Indeed it does appear to be carpet :D How embarrasing :D

- Dan

PS: Oh and Maiden, thats a damn fine suggestion... however I also paid for warmoth to finish the body in clear gloss, and its already been posted to me B)

As far as the glued in necks go, I have to say that Rhoads56 has excellent approach to subject. I mean, that looks perfect. Also, Myka's singlecuts have beautiful glued in neck joints. These two examples are (to me) cornerstones of modern ergonomical approach to flawless upper frets access. AANJ from Ibanez is very good. Thing is with AANJ that you can reach for higher frets in a standing position that are not quite accessable on square heel style joints. Washburn's Steven's Extended Cutaway is probably the best bolt on design that I've seen.

mullmuzzler | OSSMT