What Do You Think Of These Frets?

AlGeeEater

It works, and IMO is no more or less elegant or obtrusive than a compensated nut. However, I do get the impression it's like the Feitin system in that it applies one compensation to all instruments, whilst a compensated nut can be tweaked to an individual guitar's idiosynchracies, in the same way as an adjustable bridge.

IIRC Perry has had a little experience with the Fretwave system, and I know he's done a good few compensated nuts, so maybe he can compare/contrast them for us?

Mr. O' ....?

since they make it sound like if you get those frets, your chords will ring more true, i suggest just getting an earvana nut

Yeah, I tried one the other day..there was a Gilet Jumbo in Pete's Musician's Market with the fretwave fitted...looked a bit weird...you probably only need to do the first five frets..the rest would be negligible...like you say, erik..crowning them must be fun..heh

• 2 weeks later...

Do a search for the compensated nut. It compensates for everything EXCEPT open strings. You have it backwards. There was a long post that explained and debated it.

As for fretwave, I just think it's like two people came up with solutions to the same problem, and I personally feel the compensated nut was the winner, hands down. But both are valid.

Frank is correct, a compensated nut compensates all BUT the open string. BUTTTTT an open string NEVER needs compensation at all.... ever....

The fret ware is an EXCELLENT PRODUCT, if you only ever NEED TWO NOTES (G# and C#) to play in tune with the others. All fretted notes from the 1-6 fret require compensation to be PERFECT, so whats the point of just of doing a half arsed job and fixing only two of them???

For every compensated nut i fit to a guitar, i end up doing the clients OTHER guitars as well, and i generally get two more clients from word of mouth also. It takes just as long to do a compensated nut, as it does to fit the fretwave.... and the fretwave is non-reversable.