Gmc Swirl

I have been playing around with swirling for a while now and today I finally had the nuts to do the dip. This is my first one and I am about 70% happy with the outcome. I will be getting some more bodies and doing some differant color swirls. This one has a few imperfections which could have come out better. But I am fairly happy as its better than I though it would turn out. What do you guys think?

http://x4.putfile.com/6/16107135219.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been playing around with swirling for a while now and today I finally had the nuts to do the dip. This is my first one and I am about 70% happy with the outcome. I will be getting some more bodies and doing some differant color swirls. This one has a few imperfections which could have come out better. But I am fairly happy as its better than I though it would turn out. What do you guys think?

http://x4.putfile.com/6/16107135219.jpg

Congrats man... havent seen many swirls on here latley :D

Looks really nice good job! Show us some more pics when you do the other bodys

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Awsome!!! At first glance, I thought that front is more appealing, but... The rear ROCKS!!! Great upper horn color variation!

Congrats 2 U!!!

Can you write down what materials did U use?

Once again, great work!!

I would go with earth-tone colors next time, or maybe, a purple-black-cherry combo...

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

I just used humbrol paints, i shall probobly be doing a tut on this shortly with pics and video of me actually doing it so people can see exactly what i did, I know I would have really like more pics and video when i was trying to learn this technique. I will put up some better pics when it has dried properly so i can do it indoors.

Well if you look closely at the front picture, at the bottom on the left (kinda where your arm rests on it) there is some paint runs. I know why this has happened and should be able to sort it out on my next swirl but it is just a bit annoying. Its just im a bit of a perfectionist and would like there to be nothing wrong anywhere. I will put up more pics later today, you will be able to see better then.

I dunno, dude... the blotchy bit gives it character. If it just continued with exactly the same "pattern" as the rest of the swirl, I'd find it a bit boring. Then again, I'm the guy who never got braces because I like my semi-crooked front teeth. :D

Greg

Mee likey :D

Seriously, don't redo it. I think it's nice.. Made me want to do a swirl, if I ever build a guitar.

...a swirl would probably look a bit out of place on a fretless bass, wouldn't it? B)

If it's your bass and you want to swirl it...go for it. Don't worry what anybody thinks. Opinions are like a**holes...everybody has one and nobody should worry about anyone elses.

Swirl away man. :D

Edited by Shamrock

It looks great!!! Cheers!!!!

But how did you find humbrol paint works? I read in tutorial to don't use tester model paint. Some guys told me Humbrol is one of these togheter with Ravell etc.

I was just thinking to use urethane paint for swirl jobs. What do you think of this, will it work?

I have the possibility to buy Humbrol but for the reason above I am undecided.

Mee likey :D

...a swirl would probably look a bit out of place on a fretless bass, wouldn't it? :D

If it's your bass and you want to swirl it...go for it. Don't worry what anybody thinks. Opinions are like a**holes...everybody has one and nobody should worry about anyone elses.

Well.. it is the bass that I'm building right now. I won't swirl it, I'm going for a more peaceful style. I'll probably oil it.

But if I ever build a guitar (and learn to play it), I'll make it a heavy metal shred machine, so I could probably swirl it too B) I've also thought about color-changing paint...

Yes you are correct, humbrol is the same as the testors/ravell type paint. I tried using the type suggested in the tutorial (Plasti Kote) but It didnt disperse/swirl in the way i wanted it to. I may try it again at some point but at the moment Im very happy with the humbrol make. I would go out spending that much on something your not sure on. I wouldnt go for it. When you consider that a tin of humbrol is about £1.50 for the larger tins, and 2 large tins (different colors) will do about 10 guitars. You would be paying a lot. Like I said i will be making a tutorial on this shortly which wil hopefully cover every angle and will take you through the swirl from start to finish with videos and stuff. But if i were you i would just get some bits of wood and some paint and borax and start practicing. I worked on swirling for a few months(a few evenings a week for about 10 dips per evening) just to get used to it and to get the feel. A lot of which could have been avoided with a more concise tutorial (but it is a good start so read it over and over again lol) . In another post of mine called 'Swirl Blobs' you can see some of the problems i came across even after a month of doing it. Maybe I was just a bit slow on the uptake. But as you can see from the final guitar i think it was worth the practice. Im goign to be doing some more and putting them on ebay to see if I can make a bit of money out of somethign I love doing. When I have done them I will be posting pics of them here aswell.

Good luck with what you decide.

Yes Blacknight I can buy 6 different colors Humbrol paint for 15€ here. I have practiced with scrap and a standard acrylic oil base enamel. It works well but I cannot achieve the colors I want with those (no fluorescent like the green for example).

I will buy the Humbrol and try. I hope they aren't really thick as he said on tut. Also I seen there's no need of too much borax.

Yeah ... I am impatient to see your tut too. i will stay tuned.

:D

Gian

Does anyone know humbrol codes for the colors needed for a DNA swirl? (black, neon green - pink - yellow -red and red blood). Also something near to.

Edited by gun

If you look at the picture you can see where the "clear" pickguard sits ontop of the swirl...

and dude can i congratulate you again! thats a great swirl... i have an unfinished Jem lookalike sitting just to the left of me... i have a feeling its going to come face to face with a bucket of borax soon :D

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Yeah do it.... you know you want to. The npost it when its done. I must say I am very happy with the responce I have recieved here. It is really pusing me to do a second one now. I have a washburn 7-string that could do with a MC swirl...hmmmm.

And gun, i will post the colour codes of the two paints i used when i get back from work. I actually also did a bit of a trick by giving the guitar a full undercoat of green before i dipped it. The green doesnt alter the properties of the black but really brings out the green as it should do. I dont like going the normal way without trying alternatives :D

Ok thanks Black I wai the codes for the green and black. I seen also Ferrari red and Fluo yellow. I have to serach for a fluo pink. But did you buy that body or you made it? If you bought it, it seems a Jim's body to me :D