next week im enlisting in delayed entry for the united states marine corps. i get to do pt for the next year while i finish high school. this has been something that has been going through my head for a loooooong time. my options are much better this way and its a decision im quite proud of at this point. my parents are signing consent, because i dont turn 18 until december. i pretty much get a leg up on it before boot camp with pt. im gonna end up leaving next july. next week we are going to the recruitment office to plan out my mos and everything. my father was a marine, as was my uncle, and my mother was in the reserves, my grandfather was in the army, my other grandfather was in the navy, and my greatgrandfather was in the navy in korea, and my other great grandfathers fought the germans in wwii. its always been an option to me, and something im very proud of.

I have one nephew who was in Iraq for a year and a half and another that will finish basic in 2 weeks, both Marines. These are both great guys with a very good civic/patriotic sense of obligation and I am very proud of them. However, I wish I had been involved in their recruitment process because they didn't get the sweet-deals that will help them in their education and future, post-service life. If you are going to sacrifice 4 years of your life for the good of this country, you should be given some pretty nice benefits to compensate. I stared at recon photos for 2 years between Korea and Nam and was not ever in danger, other than bad food. Marines are in it for real. You have my personal respect and gratitude.

thank you for that. at this point im 99.9% sure of this and that .1% is me ending up getting a better deal from the navy. ive been checking out all the deals. every branch will pay for 100% of your college while youre on active duty. and then theres the montgomery gi bill of rights that pays money to attend school in and out of active duty. theres also a buttload of money for signing up like 20000 for just signing. next week i go back to the recruiter and i make my final decision on what i want to go into with mos and training. but there still is that tiny little chance that i get a better package from the navy.

There you go, Meegs! Get the best deal for the time you are gonna put in! If the Navy gives you a sweet deal, take it over to the Marine rectuiter and tell him to beat it! This is not a greedy thing or selfish. This is what you are owed by the rest of us that are not currently in active service. Go for it big time. It is a seller's market!

Congrats meegs! It's a tough choice to make in today's world.

True Story........

When I went to the recruiter 25 years ago he asked me what branch I wanted to join....I had no idea. :D Then he asked me what I wanted to do....I knew that one - electronics B) Then he asked me if I wanted to sleep in a bed and eat 3 hot meals a day or sleep in a ditch and eat out of a can.......I joined the Navy :D

3 hots and a cot baby!! Think about it.

Meaningless only to those who sleep in the comfortable shadow of those who guard their freedom to sleep in that shadow. Just my opinion--the opinion of a son, grandson, nephew, and great-nephew of a few soldiers and sailors who fought to preserve the world's freedoms.

Semper Fi, Meegs. Wish my arthritic back and legs would let me go in your place.

C'mon Alex, be a nice guy!!!

So you decided to join the JARHEADS huh!!! O well, good luck and don't let boot camp get into you, (it is not what it used to be a few years back but it is much harder than the Navy or Air Force and a bit harder than the basic for the Army...

If you are not lock in to the Marines, I could suggest you talk to an Air Force Recruiter before placing your name in the dotted line and saying I do.

You will still be serving your country, and the quality of life for single members is much better than that for the Marines, (believe me, I spent this last year dealing with Quality of Life Issues in my post as the Better Opportunities for Single service members Installation Rep) We have all services here and the NAvy and Air Force are the better ones, the Navy is better, but the carreer progression is not too good (and the one in the Air Force is kinda close too).

any way, good luck with what ever you decide!

I respect the fact your willing to lay your life on the line for something greater, but I wont say anything more.

Just make sure you come home if you ever get shipped off. We shouldn't need to lose any more lives needlessly, and god knows Iraq isn't the only nation 'seeking peace' .....

- Dan

congrats

hopefully george can do some more fabricating and rustle up another war for you

(maybe that will give him a third term?)

Not to worry, they'll figure out a way to steal another one. Don't matter if it's Bush or another guy, as long as Cheney can still run the show.

Sorry, I just can't applaud anyone's decision to go fight wars. I recognize the need for armies...as a means of defense.

Unfortunately, the US hasn't fought a defensive war in 60 years.

Now, if you told us you were joining the Coast Guard, that's something else.

I have big respect for those who join the army of any country. These people are willing to sacrifice their one live for the security of their fellow citizens. Unfortunately every country needs to have an army, so I cannot understand the people who are opposed to others serving. I mean who will protect them if they become victim of an unjustified war?

That said I agree with AlexVDL. I don't want this to turn into a political discussion. And everyone should be allowed to have his own opinion. However in your case I would do alot of OBJECTIVE political research before joining.

Fighting for Bush's plans is not neccesseralily in line with being a brave soldier fighting for a just cause. If you stand behind his decisions and want to fight for them so be it. But really look into that before later putting your life in danger for something which is not true to your beliefs. It always is a pain to see how alot of soldiers in the past and present were instrumentalized by their gouvernements to lose their live for something they were stronly opposed to. I imagine this to be a REALLY painful situation to be in....

well the main reason i even thought maybe the navy would give me a better deal was because i am willing to fight in the infantry....just not willing to fight in a war that doesnt even qualify as a war. that being said. i want to do my part but still keep my political opinion. the way the marine recruiter put it was that no matter what job youre doing, whether youre sleeping in a tent and getting shot at or working behind a desk, youre still an equal part of the american military and doing a part that no civilian has the rerquirements to do. the only two things that interest me in the marines at this point is aircraft mechanics and cryptology. this is why im thinking the navy might give me a better job with better bonuses and i might not have to shame myself and my relatives by fighting a war with no point. but ill never know until next week when i go back to the recruiter and see what the navy will give me jobwise. theres a lot more to do in the navy from my point of view. my father even said that if the marines are just going to strip my mos and put a gun in my hands to fight then he wont sign for me, because despite him also being a marine, he wants nothing to do with this war. hell i could end up working on a nuclear submarine and get paid a hell of a lot more than the marines wouldve paid me to reload harrier's and syphon gas with my mouth. so next week i will know for sure. i just know that at this point im enlisting, whether or not they send me into combat.