Fretless 4 String Bass

For the last year I've been playing a battered frankenstein of a P-Bass that was assembled using parts from a couple of damaged guitars, at the time I only wanted something to use for recording but now I've got into playing a bass a bit more I've decided to build something better B)

After sketching a few ideas I came up with this design (there's still a few areas that need altering)

basstem003.jpg

I'll be making my own neck for this one, it will be Maple with a Massacar Ebony fretboard. The body will have a centre piece of maple with Walnut wings, the wings will have Crotch Walnut facings on them. I brought 2 sets of bookmatched Crotch Walnut tops a couple of months ago and my supplier was kind enough to give me a single piece that was left over for free :D I've been wondering what to do with it for a while, luckily it was just big enough for the job.

Here's the Walnut I'm using for the wings, I will take some pics of the Crotch Walnut this weekend. The Maple and Ebony should be delivered early next week :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/The...tboard/waal.jpg

Hey simo man That's A great design, what Are you thinking for hardware

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Man That is Nut's So where Did you get That Walnut :D Who is this supplier

Of your's

Man That is Nut's So where Did you get That Walnut  Who is this supplier

Of your's

I brought some wood from him off ebay last year and I've used him for most of the tops I've brought since then, they're always superb. I don't think it's his main income, he just sells part time from home....but the bad news is I don't think he sells outside of the UK :D sorry dude :D

Actually he's just sent me a couple of pics of the Ebony I'm using for the fretboard :D I'm having 3 of them, they're all 5" wide....

http://img68.echo.cx/img68/6411/fb17mr.jpg

http://img150.echo.cx/img150/6640/fb25rc.jpg

B)

DAM oh well B)

Any way man I love the look of that Ebony, It with that DEADLY

Walnut Man That's Going to be one Sexy Bass :D

Good luck Man!!

My eager mind would like to know too :D I'm looking into pickups at the moment, being a guitarist I'm not an expert on bass electronics so I'm researching as much as possible before spending my hard earned cash. I did some reshaping work on a Ibanez bass for someone a couple of weeks ago, I really liked the active Bartolini's (mk1's I think?) he had on it....even though it was a nightmare to rewire :DB)

My eager mind would like to know too  :D  I'm looking into pickups at the moment, being a guitarist I'm not an expert on bass electronics so I'm researching as much as possible before spending my hard earned cash. I did some reshaping work on a Ibanez bass for someone a couple of weeks ago, I really liked the active Bartolini's (mk1's I think?) he had on it....even though it was a nightmare to rewire  :D  B)

I cannot give enough praise about Bartolinis.....you wont be dissapointed.

I was woken up this morning by some weird noises coming from the front door, I pulled a pair jeans on and staggered downstairs to find a Parcel Force driver attempting to force a parcel which contained my Ebony fretboards through the letter box! :D:DB) luckily I got there in time before he damaged them :DB)

fboards.jpg

Damn Simo, it's a pity he couldn't find any with a bit of figure.

Tell you what, send them to me and I'll burn them for you...

Sure thing Setch....altough if I send it with Parcel Force it might not survive the journey :D

I still waiting for an answer for those bridges for ya, ill keep you posted.

Cheers :D

Hey simo, i got a hold of the spares guy at Ibanez today and the Mono Rail Bridges are Between £22 and £45 Each at trade Prices!!!!!!!!!

They are only available in Cosmo Black, Cosmo White and something Gold. if you add VAT to those prices it going to be very expensive. I can get them for ya if you need them. If there is any other bridge you would like me to check out just post it here.

Think I'll pass on those :D thanks for asking anyway B):D

Quick update on the bass...the body blank is glued up and ready to be cut out, at the last minute I decided to use a piece of the Macassar Ebony as laminates in-between the Maple and Walnut which looks really cool. I'll be cutting and routing it on Sunday so I'll post some more pics then.

Hey simo, i got a hold of the spares guy at Ibanez today and the Mono Rail Bridges are Between £22 and £45 Each at trade Prices!!!!!!!!!

They are only available in Cosmo Black, Cosmo White and something Gold. if you add VAT to those prices it going to be very expensive. I can get them for ya if you need them. If there is any other bridge you would like me to check out just post it here.

Mono rails are those 'indy' bridges, right? There are some right here for cheap:

http://mailboxmusic.zoovy.com/product/BBR_MRGD

I've used them on a bass, they were nice.