My Beast

ee...this guitar was originally going to be a speedloader fixed bridge...but since floyd rose are so damn lazy about producing them,i had to give up waiting

Hey Wes, So floyd is ging to make a fixed bridge speedloader! Man I can't wait for that, are there any other brands that make this or will be making this? When I first started thinking about replacing my bridge on my ibanez I had thought about the speedloader, but I was under the impression that they already had a fixed bridge version, so when I found out they didn't I was totally bummed. I still haven't changed my bridge, all I did was shape a block of wood to stop the tremelo.

If you have any info on when the bridge might come out, that would be great! BTW you guitar looks better and better everytime I come back to this post. I bet you are super excited to finish it! Also I think the way you shaped the neck joint was not only original but very nice looking, the ones that are so smoothed that you can't tell where the joint is I don't like at all, they look funny to me. Your has all the function of a smooth one, but way better looking IMO!

Keep up the great work and if you have any more progress pictures that are not secret, post them when you can. Jason

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are there any other brands that make this or will be making this?

not that i know of...but i am hoping for the floyd version soon.i think it is a brilliant unit and is built the way i like things to be built...i have a trem speedloader,it works very well and seems rugged.

but it won't help you on your ibanez...the fixed version is topmount only....

keep tabs here if you like

http://floydrose.com/fixedbridge.html

That bridge looks sweet! Definately something I would be interested in. I'm glad you introduced me to my future bridge. Thanks.

but it won't help you on your ibanez...the fixed version is topmount only....

I didn't think it would be a problem, the current bridge I have is a traditional tremelo, the kinda with a 6 point fulcrum. It seems that the hole for the tremelo is small and a regular sized fixed bridge would fit over it, the screws might not line up, but I wouldn't mind some modification, I have already done a few things like drill the headstock for sperzels and changed wiring, pickups and some other minor mods. So I am just not sure and your probably right, but I can only hope!

Thanks for the info! Jason

yeah,the edges are one of the best fetures,exept the actual figure of the wood :D,very nice,and that ebony fingerboard from warmoth some1 posted up,that loks so sweet,almost like...well...carbon.so i'm guessing ebony is a good materia for a neck rather than just a finger board?

So the secret will be unveiled at last! Are mods allowed to enter the GOTM? Also how do you like the walnut, would you use it as a body with a cap, in other words do you like it's qualities, weight, tonal, density and others?

what walnut?it only has one thin strip of walnut as a neck laminate.i hardly think it affects the tone much at all since the guitar is 95% mahogany of different types.

anyway,it is together now and i have been playing it...it sounds insane.very creamy,smooth sound...not alot of attack...more of a rounded bottom end.

you will have to wait for tomorrow for final pics...i need the sunlight.

what walnut?it only has one thin strip of walnut as a neck laminate.i hardly think it affects the tone much at all since the guitar is 95% mahogany of different types.

Sorry I meant mahogany, not walnut. Actually I didn't even realize that the laminate was walnut looks real good though. I've been looking through way too many projects recently. So the difference between normal and figured or crotch wood is noticeable? Denser or what? Jason

Im wondering if he hadnt said the routing was good, would everyone be complimenting it......

so in other words you don't like it?say what you mean...i don't care if it's not your style.

or maybe you mean that it is not as good as some of the other stuff around here that gets complimented?or maybe you just dislike my attitude on this forum?

right now,saying that with no reason given, you just sound petty or jealous or both.

I wonder if he means that, if you never pointed out your routing anyone would of noticed it...

don't know what he means...i mentioned the routing as a bit of a joke...hence the smiley face after i wrote it...

anyway...i just finished sacrificing a drill bit case to make my control cavity cover(matches the texture of the battery boxes...)

now all i need is some good outdoor lighting

and here we go

http://westhemann.com/finished%20beast/IM000026.JPG

http://westhemann.com/finished%20beast/IM000027.JPG

http://westhemann.com/finished%20beast/IM000029.JPG

http://westhemann.com/finished%20beast/IM000031.JPG

http://westhemann.com/finished%20beast/IM000033.JPG

http://westhemann.com/finished%20beast/IM000034.JPG

http://westhemann.com/finished%20beast/IM000036.JPG

and all the specs as promised

crotch mahogany top,"genuine"(what i was told when i bought it)mahogany back and center laminates(remember this started as a neck through before i ruined the first neck)neck is a 3 piece laminate of honduran mahogany and walnut with an ebony board

features

set neck

graphite nut

grover tuners

24 stainless steel frets(harpooned from rhoads56)

dual emg 81 25th anniversary active pickups

3 way toggle,one volume,no tone,recessed input jack

2 battery boxes so i can run 9 or 18 volt(i tried it on 18 volt..i prefer 9 volt operation on this one)

no fret markers,only side dots

dunlop straplocks

aluminum combination bridge,tailpiece

and the body is 1.5" thick

by the way,yes i know i have some buffing compound in a couple of spots in the pics and i know i need to buff it some more on the edges...but i don't want to stop playing it right now

it has a "liquid" sort of tone which is very pleasant but hard to describe...a bit "thick" in the bottom end

is it perfect?no,it's not..but the only problems are with the finish...that's my weak spot.i think next time i will go back to rattlecan nitro...rattlecan poly doesn't seem to "burn in" to the previous coats like i wish it to.it's a tougher finish and cures quicker...but i have just a tiny bit of peeling next to my fretboard already.

did i forget anything?

Im wondering if he hadnt said the routing was good, would everyone be complimenting it......

lol, I thought exactly the same thing after reading the first page or so :D

... and really, thats all I wanted to say, no hidden meanings i swear! however... I am a bit jealous that I dont have that guitar, or the skills to build it that well :D

- Dan

Edit: Just saw the final pictures... wow! looks awesome man. What sort of pickups are those? Are they just EMG's with some TLC? Personally I would have got a kick out of just the plain look of the black covers on that guitar, but hey, its your guitar, thats just me. Kickass dude... I love the headstock too.

- Dan

XD!! At first i was like "***? is that guitar floating o_O" Then i realised you attatched a wall hanger to a tree...

Looks nice man. Nice shape and love the finish. The only thing i don't like is the headstock, only because i can see it being broke.

i never drop my guitars or bang them into anything...but it is tougher than it looks.

other post edited with the specs

lol, I thought exactly the same thing after reading the first page or so

if that's all he meant then that's cool...i myself noticed alot of compliments on the routing in particular..but i am proud of the routing...the beveled edges and everything were routed very carefully on this one.

it is tough to rout crotch mahogany without chip out

Personally I thought the compliments were well deserved, I dont think there is any doubting that... but yeah, imo I think that is all he meant.

Also, the 25th anniversary EMG's look weird... I have to be honest, for $250USD I was expecting more... the pics on their site were nice shiny PAF style things with laser engraving on them from what I remember... those ones almost look like they are plastic thats been hit with some silver paint :D

Is it just the photos?

- Dan

Personally I thought the compliments were well deserved, I dont think there is any doubting that... but yeah, imo I think that is all he meant.

Also, the 25th anniversary EMG's look weird... I have to be honest, for $250USD I was expecting more... the pics on their site were nice shiny PAF style things with laser engraving on them from what I remember... those ones almost look like they are plastic thats been hit with some silver paint :D

Is it just the photos?

- Dan

they are actually very nice,just like what is on the site.the reason they look a bit wierd is because of the condensation...it is very humid here and when i take it out of the a/c it collects moisture all over...even on the finish.

that's wht you can't read the laser engraving...but it is there.and they are actual metal covers,not plastic

Is it just the photos?

- Dan

they are actually very nice,just like what is on the site.the reason they look a bit wierd is because of the condensation...it is very humid here and when i take it out of the a/c it collects moisture all over...even on the finish.

that's wht you can't read the laser engraving...but it is there.and they are actual metal covers,not plastic

Ah, that sorts it then. If you ever get any nice pics of it that show off hte pickups more be sure to post them please :D

- Dan

Very nice, I like 'naked' fingerboards too, they look sleak. Nice woods on the body. I still don't like the neck joint, however, from the pictures it just doesn't flow, or look right, kinda 'squared'. You should have done something like this (not the scooping, but the smooth transition), but that's just my opinion, and it's not my guitar.

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess if it's just a regular set-neck you can't blend the heel like Perry did. :D

Edited by M_A_T_T