My Beast

okay well it is not finished yet...i have not even finished buffing it yet...but i am tired of making maiden and metal matt wait...so i am going to keep the overall guitar a secret for now..but here is what i am willing to divulge for the moment

main thing is i wish to show off my clean routing :D

http://westhemann.com/my%20music/pics/IM000018.JPG

http://westhemann.com/my%20music/pics/IM000019.JPG

http://westhemann.com/my%20music/pics/IM000020.JPG

http://westhemann.com/my%20music/pics/IM000021.JPG

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn!, Pure genius. That thing looks incredible seriously! The figure is amazing is it crotch wood? BTW that routing is exceptional, I can only hope to ever even be half as good at routing as that, nice! Also I'm not that great at identifying wood, so what is it? Do you have any shots of the headstock or is that part of the secret or unfinished? Great work man and I can't wait to see more! Jason

or are you building a neck or buying?

~~ Slain Angel ~~

umm... looks like a neck thru to me.

best beast ive ever seen

and some of the best routing ive ever seen too

secret hardware aye.....

im guessing actives of sum sort (if those are two 9volt cavities on the back)

and a tunomatic or similar?

the top is in fact crotch mahogany...it is not a neck thru,rather a set neck...the reason it looks like a neck thru is that it used to be a neck thru...but i pulled a boner with the neck(i started this a long time ago...this was supposed to be my first scratch build,but i ended up putting it on the closet for a while)so i made a new neck,but decided to go with a set neck.

the headstock is just one of the things that i am keeping "under wraps" until the finished pics.it is a headstock of my own design...but it is similar to some others, it flows well with the body though.

the color is as you see it...it actually has a clear coat on it right there...i just need to finish buffing it..

thanks for the support

i am kind of dissapointed though...nobody mentioned my snoopy sheet...i am the "head beagle" :D

Nice. I already posted on the other thread you place a pic of this... Pic teaser!!! It was about time you decide to post more pics, I like it. very nice mahogany top, I seen a few around here, but they all had blemishes and were not good enough for a clear finish.

What are those square holes on the back? Battery cavities? And how are you attaching the cover to them, I see no recess for the covers, are they going on top?

What about the control one, how are you covering it, Idon't see the traditional step rout. Is it going over the edge?

I have never use battery boxes, are they easy to pop open? I see no need for them If I have to loosen screws, I rather use the control cavities, but it will look nice with 2 of them side by side.

Some clear on it or something?

some ca glue that i have not cleaned off yet...i used ca to seal the mahogany and got a tad messy at that spot.no dents,absolutely not

What about the control one, how are you covering it, Idon't see the traditional step rout.

it is going to be a "traditional" top plate(both ways are standard) :D

the guitar is only 1 1/2" thick,so i am doing it that way to match the battery boxes which sit on top

I have never use battery boxes, are they easy to pop open? I see no need for them If I have to loosen screws, I rather use the control cavities, but it will look nice with 2 of them side by side.

did you look at the stewmac link?it shows how they work.they have a latch...similar to what is on a t.v. remote

and wats up with the naked pics in ur site?

there are no naked pics on that site...matter of fact there is not much of anything on that site...unless you are speaking of the shirtless pics that curtisp shamed me into taking?

he was all "i am muscular,i work out" and i was like "you are nothing compared to me,boy" and he was like "oh yeah,prove it" and i was like "no thanks and he was like "all talk and no show,eh?" and i was like "fine,here i am in all my badassness" and he was like....well after that he said nothing B)

can we get back on topic now? :D

Hey Wes What Size Of A Chamfer Bit Did You use To get that Edge?

!!METAL MATT!! :D

The heel transition looks odd here:

http://westhemann.com/my%20music/pics/IM000019.JPG

Like the Mahogany thought.

well...it is a set neck...the way it is shaped gives me complete upper fret access while at the same time 3 fully supported sides ...without doing a hidden neck tenon like a les paul...

i like the way it is shaped.i don't see it as odd at all...only different.

Hey Wes What Size Of A Chamfer Bit Did You use To get that Edge?

1/2" bit i think...but i set the depth to get the size ledge i wanted...with these types of bits you determine the size of the bevel...just because the bit is one size does not mean the bevel has to be that size.

notice the bevel at the fret access cutaway is much shallower?same bit...i did it that way to leave more support for the bottomm of the neck,and to not interfere with the mounting ring for the neck pickup

is that a crack or a figure in the wood just below the bridge placement?

Is that ebony or rosewood?

Seriously is looking killer. man id love to own that *Jealous*

-Jamie

is that a crack or a figure in the wood just below the bridge placement?

Is that ebony or rosewood?

both...it is so highly figured that the top did start to split before i glued it...obviously i clamped it back tight and when i glued it it split no more.

that is just the nature of crotch wood...i made another top of the same piece which had no cracks at all..but it was less figured.

if i had seen drak's tele with the blue epoxy before i glued that top on,i would have used black epoxy to fill all of the cracks...i think that would have been killer.but instead i just used ca

ebony fretboard

now im loving it more! are you going to inlay it or no? Something about ebony fretboards without inlay seems to be my favorite.

no inlay...i never use the inlays...only the side dots....since i play standing up they are all i see.

and i love the clean look of untouched ebony

interesting story

when i contacted lmii about the fretboard i asked specifically for an ebony board with wide,intricate gray streaks(i love the look of "imperfect" wood)...it took those guys 2 months to get me my board("machine problems" according to lmii) and when i FINALLY got it...it was a plain black board...and they left the extra length of the board at the wrong end(i specifically asked for the extra at the top...so i could create a locking nut ledge)

see...this guitar was originally going to be a speedloader fixed bridge...but since floyd rose are so damn lazy about producing them,i had to give up waiting

but i think on my next i am going to do a 12th fret inlay of my initials or something

here's my dream neck. talk about black and ebony! i wouldnt want the telecaster headstock though. if this is hotlinking, then please delete it.

ebony on ebony