New To Bass

hey guys, my band has recently made the decision to thow out our current bass player and put me on bass (i CAN play bass, just havent done it seriously) and I had a few questions. I need to buy a bass and possibly a bass amp. I've got a PA, could I plug the bass directly into the PA mixer and have it work sufficiently? Also I've been looking for a bass that would be good (and I don't mean good for a beginner) for 300 dollars or less. I've been looking at this after being reccomended to it by a friend. I just wanted some other opinions on it, etc. I'm new to bass so I dont know what brands are good, etc. Comments are appreciated, thanks.

Oh, and if the bass into PA thing wont work, what are some good amps that are cheap that I could use?

Edited by silvertonessuckbutigotone

My friend has one like it, from the same series. It just has the precision pickup, and 2 knobs. I am not a bass player, however a lot of people have recommended for a good bass in your price range the Epiphone EB-0.

Whatever anyone suggests in this thread, try it out.

For a bass amp,

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass...ase_pid/482037/

that should do.

By the way, why not just find another bass player? They are tricky to find, at least in Toronto, but if you look hard, you'll find one, and it saves you money.

hey, the bass your interested will be good, i have a soundgear bass (with out the active pickups) and its pretty reliable and good. now for the amp, all i know is bass mess up guitar amps if you turn it on loud, so for PA Systems if there anything like guitar amps i wouldnt try it.

IMO i would buy a Bronze Warlock bass because their pretty wild but i know from experiance that the soundgear basses are good.

and how much watts are you looking for in an amp? like do you need a beast cabinet+head or just a combo?

well, we play gigs, so probably 100-200 watts would be ideal, but some lower woudl be acceptable too. The amp needs to be really cheap. I've heard of micing the bass amp into the PA, so I wouldnt see a problem with plugging straight into it, but I dont know.

I dont want to try to find a new bass player for a couple reasons:

1.we need to make as smooth as transition as soon as possible and we already have a guitarist lined up for the part so we could switch really quick.

2.bassists hard to find

3.we're becoming a christian rock band and bassists are hard enough to find as it is, plus a nother requirement?

4.I'd like to not invite someone i dont know into my band because everyone else in the band is a pretty close-nit group of friends and i think on both ends of the rope it would be awkward to have this unknown bass player over there in the corner.

5.all the bassists I know are taken

6.its easier to play bass and sing than play guitar and sing at least in my style of music.

Alrighty I see.

Well, you could go with behringer gear. I'm not sure how good they are but they are pretty damn decent for the price.

I did a search for you, just to give you ideas.

Behringer http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass...ase_pid/480675/

Fender http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass...ase_pid/480721/

Gallien-Kruger

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass...ase_pid/482534/

and the cab http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass...ase_pid/601050/

you may have to just go to the store and check these out. Recommending gear on this site can lead to a lot of agreements and disagreements and you may end up more confused. At least this will give you an idea of what to try lol.

Bassists are hard to find? SHee-it, I should switch instruments. :D

My dad played bass in several bands over the years, and while he had a bass amp that he used for a while, in the end he decided to just start plugging into the PA. Saved carrying the amp around, and it sounded fine. Considering many bass parts on albums are recorded directly into the mixing board, the amp isn't necessarily as critical in the equation, though of course if you're a die-hard bassist and tone-obsessed, a PA won't cut it.

Good ol' da' was also practical and understood the limitations of his venues, so the PA route suited him just fine.

Greg

That bass will be perfectly fine for a first. Should last you a couple of years or until you decide to take it up seriously. Check out www.basspalace.com. They have some good used basses that may suit you.

As for the amp, I would recommend Behringer gear if you can afford to spend $400 (plus shipping) for a head and a cab. I have the 2x10" cab with aluminum cones and I love it. I plan on buying the Behringer bass head pretty soon as well, but for now I am relying on my Trace Elliot 100 watter.

If you decide to plug into the PA, I would recommend only doing it in a decent PA system. What are the specs on your PA? If you do end up doing that, I would recommend getting some sort of direct box like the Sansamp box by Tech 21.

What about one of those Behringer Sansamp clones? Use the preamp, then run to the PA. They're only like $40 or something, and supposedly quite decent. I think the model name is BDI21?

the tone doesnt really matter (I dont mean it like it REALLY doesnt matter, I mean, I'm only using a bass for gigs/practices) and i play hard rock/grunge/heavy metal so the bass doesnt have any solos etc. and I probably will get something better as I start recognizing the differences between basses, amps, etc. Thanks for the opinions guys. I will probably just plug into the PA instead of getting an amp and eventually I'll probably save money up for a nice amp.

If you are going to go ahead and plug into the PA instead of getting an amp, stay away from the EB-0. You will need a clear, low-rumble axe to keep the PA in one piece. I like your first choice but buy it from Zzounds. Better support when it comes in damaged. IMHO

From what you are saying, I think you might save some money and get a Rouge(here come the boos) from Musician's Fiend and hope you don't have to play bass too long. I think they are about as big a bargain as you can get. I kept one at home, although I thoroughly went trough it, and found the neck to be a real treat for a $145.00 axe. Once again, shields up Mr Sulu! IMHO

I think you might save some money and get a Rouge(here come the boos) from Musician's Fiend and hope you don't have to play bass too long

Thats the thing, I think I might start taking bass up seriously and I dont have the money to buy a "beginners" bass, then grow out of it and buy a "real" bass. Plus I'm playing gigs with this thing, I need it to be atleast semi-good.

Get a Soundgear bass from Ibanez-- for the price, hands down the best bass in its range, tonally and by feel.

As for an amp, the BX600 (60 watt) can keep up with a relatively loud band in a practice setting, but for gigs, you should look at the BX 1200.

By the way, I have played all of this stuff on a regular basis (it's the gear my bass teacher has) , and like the tone and the feel of it.

You shouldn't find a thing wrong with the rogue's sound, espescially playing through the PA. I would take that little turd on ANY gig if I knew the laughter would eventually subside. And it would with my amps. Or at least you wouldn't be able to hear it (the laughter) anymore.

• 1 month later...

I decided to buy an Ibanez Gio Soundgear. I tried out a used Soundgear (non-gio) and it was the only one I could afford but the condition was bad. So I decided to look at new ones and they were all at least 350 at my local music store and previously I had tried out some used gio sound gears and I really liekd the sound and feel of them. I dunno if it was because they were in good condition or what but I liked them better than the used non-gio. So when I went to the music store I saw exactly what I wanted. The Blue-Burst flamed maple gio soundgear bass. check it out Holy mother and a half this bad boy was exactly what I was looking for and it was cheap enough for me to even get a gig bag. I've been palying it ever since I got home and its still as good as it was a the music store.

The Ibanez basses are nice, but I cannot stress enough that the Made In Mexico Fender Jazz bass is probably the best value for the dollar. I picked up two in the last month for less than one costs new. One was a 2003 in perfect shape, and another was a 2001 that had been neglected cosmetically but is a really smooth player.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

You have some good gear suggestions on here and I wouldn't tell you anything different from what's already been posted but I do have one question. Are you honestly interested in bass or is your band basically forcing you to go that route? If you want to play bass that's great, bass is awsome, but if what you really want to do is play guitar, you're only going to be unhappy.

If you are going still planning to go direct into the pa.

I'd recommend getting a tech 21 sansamp bass DI.

It really makes a big difference in rock and metal tone, and it also does the tube gain sound pretty good.

I'd sell you mine but I ebay'd it last month.

You have some good gear suggestions on here and I wouldn't tell you anything different from what's already been posted but I do have one question. Are you honestly interested in bass or is your band basically forcing you to go that route? If you want to play bass that's great, bass is awsome, but if what you really want to do is play guitar, you're only going to be unhappy.

well it was my idea and all, and i've always wanted to learn some bass stuff. Although if I had a choice I would rather play guitar, it's not like i DONT want to play bass. also are there any risks or things to keep in mind with plugging into the PA?