10 Alder Guitar Body Blanks At A Penny

bigdguitars

if you do a top on the knots you won't see them, I tried to put the knots in other spots other than the bridge neck pocket if you paint it does not matter anyway.

I won't sell them one at a time too much time to pack all of them. I hope to get about 250 for them... we shall see...

I tried to put the knots in other spots other than the bridge neck pocket if you paint it does not matter anyway

not trying to dampen your spirit or anything...but for the main body wood most prefer a straight grained,clear(means free of knots) piece...that is kind of what wood selection is all about.

i like to have knots in my top wood,because i think it adds charachter...(if they add to the look anyway)but in the main body i would never accept anything less than a straight grained,knot free piece.alder is much to plentiful around here to accept that(imo)

Hmmm....

Pretty sketchy Big D. That doesn't look much like the quality level you would sell. Looks more like SAB lumber cut into pieces. $25 for a Prepped body blank is a good price, $25 for 4 bd ft of SAB lumber(???). This lot just seems odd. I am used to seeing you offer better quality (and some very unique pieces). Doesn't seem to keep up your usual higher standards.

Peace, Rich

yea this wood is ok. Its not perfect grade a alder. Its still relatively nice.

When I buy 200bf I have to take what I get. usually when I go pick I can get the rare pieces. here I get what they give me.

I just found a 16inch wide piece of paduak that I will be listing soon.

The auction ended at 220 so its not like the guy did not get a deal. You will see ten tele blanks soon.

-Derek

yea this wood is ok.  Its not perfect grade a alder.  Its still relatively nice. 

When I buy 200bf I have to take what I get.  usually when I go pick I can get the rare pieces.  here I get what they give me. 

I just found a 16inch wide piece of paduak that I will be listing soon.

The auction ended at 220 so its not like the guy did not get a deal.  You will see ten tele blanks soon.

-Derek

The pics described the wood clearly, so the buyer knew just what they were buying. I am just used to seeing better grades from you. I associate you with higher quality than I would expect from others. When I buy larger quantities without hand selecting I have to figure in a percentage of the wood will not be musical grade (same as buying common,SAB,Select paying more per bd.ft. acordingly). That is why the price goes up for what is worthy of a body blank. Like you said though its "paint grade" and $22 per. blank.

I bet the Padauk is sweet, and thats a nice wide piece for sure. I have really liked the look of some of your Spalted Maples(nice stuff). Keep up the good work, Peace. Rich

thanks for the comments. This was my first mass purchase of wood and its not like I made a whole ton of cash. 200 bf, 1100 outta my pocket. Math makes it about 50 blanks at 25-30 a piece my cost. I lose about 10-20 for knots scrap and lower grade, the rest should be higher grade. Who knows maybe its all crap?

I don't know if I will get alder again like this. I know the basswood they carry is much cleaner. Just depends, if I can help pay for the sander then mission accomplished.

Use common sense, get 200bf, get a kick ass price,

I agree there I guess, but if you end up with a ton of crap (not saying that is the case) than I dont really see the point. Maybe if you were running a factory......I wouldnt consider wood with huge knots paint grade, I would call it inferior wood. But as it was said, BigD was forthright in his description so no problems there.

out of it you will get more nice pieces than you could if you select the wood for the same price

You're going to have to explain that to me, how would you get MORE nice pieces this way than if you selected it yourself? :D

derek,check around for a different supplier.

i can hand pick entire boards at a cabinet shop i buy from,they have great,clean,straight alder(in rough cut form)and it is all under $5 a b.f. (i can't remember exactly...i thoutght it was closer to $4)

a good supplier can make your life much better

lol. I wish, don't we all.

I buy from Owl Hardwood and lumber. I know the owner, college buddies, so I get a deal on everything. I asked him to get me some 8/4 alder for a couple of months now, he never did and then it just showed up and I had to take it all. I have gone directly to the mill and thier prices are higher... They used to buy 1000 bf of alder at a time I could pick all the good stuff out. Now they don't carry it anymore. So I got what I got type of thing.