Contouring

i start my contours with my band saw. i set it at 45 degrees and cut the basic shape that i'm trying to achieve. then the belt sander and then the random orbital sander..i'm not really a spoke shave kinda guy. :D

I use a router and a 3/8" bit to waste as much of the wood as I can. I set the router progressively shallower as I'm moving inward. Then I use a dremel with a flex shaft and a foredom teardrop shaping bit to get my final shape.

Drak uses a flap disk on an angle grinder; I think I'll try that next time I need to do a carve to see if it's any faster than my method.

Yup. I used to use my portable belt sander, but to do it that way, I would have to flip the body upside down and I couldn't really see what was going on while it was sanding, besides getting backblows of sawdust in my eyes and face, I had to go slow and really carefully.

This thing is the shizzle-dizzle, it is almost mind-wrenchingly easy now. :D

This is my new favorite tool of the year, hands down. :D

GrinderCarverWheel.jpg

I use a rasp then finish with adhesive-backed sandpaper stuck to the side of a coffee cup. :D

I use the coffee cup for the sides of the body too since it's just the right contour.

It's ghetto I know but it works for me in my limited space. (that'll change since I've just signed for a new house with a shop yesterday) :D

i bet i could cut a back belly carve faster than anyone with a sander/grinder, and i'll just use a spokeshave only.

Yeah, you wana bet? :D

I'd take the bet. I'm with Perry on this one. If you learn how to use cutting tools, in my mind they are FAR superior to abrasive tools. A well set up spokeshave can take out a belly contour in no time flat with hardly any chance of screwing up.

i bet i could cut a back belly carve faster than anyone with a sander/grinder, and i'll just use a spokeshave only.

Yeah, you wana bet? B)

I'd take the bet. I'm with Perry on this one. If you learn how to use cutting tools, in my mind they are FAR superior to abrasive tools. A well set up spokeshave can take out a belly contour in no time flat with hardly any chance of screwing up.

You are 100 percent right. But, nothing beats the algee machine :D

:D

Edited by AlGeeEater

I suppose this might be a little of the main topic, but how hard would it be to bevel the edges of a guitar with rasps and sanding?

i do it all the time.if it is just a small bevel,it goes quickly...

Alright. I was just curious, because on the project I mentioned in my "Adding a maple top" thread, I'm planning on using an edge bevel to smooth out the transition from the original body to the maple top, rather than try and removing the edge contour that's already there.

Ah AlGee, I thought you was going to enter the Project Guitar 2005 Contour Carving Contest this year. Man you let us all down.. haha

There are tons of ways to get the job done, some faster than others, but as long as it works for you and you get the results your looking for, then that's all that really matters. You could probably carve a guitar with a weed eater for heavens sake.. lol

Ah AlGee, I thought you was going to enter the Project Guitar 2005 Contour Carving Contest this year.    Man you let us all down.. haha   

There are tons of ways to get the job done, some faster than others, but as long as it works for you and you get the results your looking for, then that's all that really matters.  You could probably carve a guitar with a weed eater for heavens sake.. lol

Hell if there's one, sign me up! :D I love competition :D

I agree, as long as YOU are happy with the end result, well it doesn't really matter if you use power tools or hand tools!