The 30-day 5a Quilt Tele

Drak

I have a Paduak/Paduak w/ abalone dots Warmoth neck I've had for a few years looking for a good home I think I'll use that, just need to apply the quilted veneer to the headstock. It is a Tele neck btw, I think the color of the Paduak will go well with the warm Texican colors I have in mind.

PS tlr, I always take a shower before I go back! :D:D

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to hear the paduak combo neck its been on my list for years to buy from warmoth. I have listed a lot of paduak stuff and always thought it would make a good neck wood.

your figure is much more consistent. I have a trick for taking the red photos set your lens time to 1/8 in decent light and you get better depth.

Drak, thanks for that link to Glendale guitars. I know that there are other suppliers with a tarnished reputation who sell similar products. Sounds like Glendale is a good business, though?

Have you tried out the non-magnetic bridges and the different saddle materials? I'm pretty partial to brass on a tele.

That quilt is amazing stuff and I don't care for 90% of the quilt out there. Give me a nice tight flame any day of the week. Did you say you were doing a burst on this one?

Edit, never mind, I read that you were doing a burst. With the Texican theme, I'd be hard pressed not to go with the steers head. LOL How about a cowbay hat sound hole? Or a lasso inlay? :D Maybe a Jalapeno?

Drak, thanks for that link to Glendale guitars. I know that there are other suppliers with a tarnished reputation who sell similar products. Sounds like Glendale is a good business, though? Have you tried out the non-magnetic bridges and the different saddle materials? I'm pretty partial to brass on a tele.

Yeah. There is a 6 page discussion HERE on the TDPRI about them, maybe you already read it. I bought one mag and one non-mag, one twang plus set, one titanium set. And I called Dale Monday morning to order them, seems like a friendly guy. The twang plus set is Brass with one aluminum saddle for the two lower strangs. :D

Edit, never mind, I read that you were doing a burst. With the Texican theme, I'd be hard pressed not to go with the steers head. LOL How about a cowbay hat sound hole? Or a lasso inlay? tongue.gif Maybe a Jalapeno?

I like your ideas, the only thing I'm having a hard time with is that the quilt figure running parallel to the body is so strong, I think any inlay or design running 90 degrees the other way might look sort of odd.

Don't worry tho, I have 4 other Teles that are pretty much done and in the can that all look 'very' southwestern, much more so than this one, I was doing this one for the competition with Derek.

Photojerk went down last night just as I was trying to upload, so I just did something else, they should be up tonight. :D

Yesterday, I got the body routed, neck pocket routed, rear control cavity routed, and rear belly bout routed.

Tonight, I got the 5 control pot holes drilled, the body edge routed with a 1/2" roundover bit, the input jack hole done, the rear neck cutaway route, and the strap button screw holes.

Still need to do the 5-way switch SLOT cut (holes are drilled) and the neck veneer, I think that's it! :D

Edit, never mind, I read that you were doing a burst. With the Texican theme, I'd be hard pressed not to go with the steers head. LOL How about a cowbay hat sound hole? Or a lasso inlay? tongue.gif Maybe a Jalapeno?

And maybe a cactus too! Or an adobe!

That tele looks great Drak, I am amazed at how fast you are building this and coming out with such great results. I also really like that neck route template, is that store bought or homemade? Are there routes for two different neck stlyes on it? Also is that paper looking stuff in the middle tape? Jason

I also really like that neck route template, is that store bought or homemade? Are there routes for two different neck stlyes on it? Also is that paper looking stuff in the middle tape? Jason

Thats a Stew-Mac neck template. That thing is 10 years old now, and still in use. :D

Yes, one end is a guitar neck, the other a bass neck.

Are you gonna hit the edge of the top with a scraper so you can see that wood under the maple? That would make it look more like binding and less like a laminate.

No, it will fade to a dark edge burst, front and back.

Looking spectacular as always

Thanks! I am under the gun to get finish and clear on it by the end of the holiday weekend if I have a chance for GOTM. :D

Lookin' good, per usual. I'll be interested to hear what you think about the PH-over-alder tone.

I am under the gun to get finish and clear on it by the end of the holiday weekend if I have a chance for GOTM.  :D

Not before you cut the grass and do something about that herd of animals :D

At least your grass is green. Mine looks like Wes' grass about this time of year. <cue theme from "The Good, the Bad & the Ugly">

Not before you cut the grass and do something about that herd of animals  :D

At least your grass is green.  Mine looks like Wes' grass about this time of year.  <cue theme from "The Good, the Bad & the Ugly">

Since Erik brought it up, is that Semoid/American Eskimo yours? Mine passed away about 4 years ago and I still miss her something sick. :D

TriBeth.gif

I honestly don't know yet, I'm 3 short steps away from being completely ready to start finishing (pretty much on schedule so far) tomorrow, and I still don't know what colors it'll be.

I've been spinning a LOT of options around in my head, just haven't settled down to a final decision yet.

I better decide real SOON. :D

I gu-run-tee you'll like it tho. :D

I like your idea tho, sounds like something I'd like too.

Clear to green to thin black edge burst. Yummmmm.

This is sort of what I -was- thinking of doing, but I think I've changed my mind thanks to ski.

I'm thinking a burst scheme like this one, but more like Jeremy's 'Sourburst' scheme on his Leviathan. Anyone remember that one? I really liked that.

Whaddya think?

BurstedFront.jpg

This is it. I think this is exactly what I want to do.

And what I think ski sort of referred to.

Thanks ski, you just COMPLETELY swayed me in a totally unexpected direction.

I always wanted to try this sourburst, but sort of forgot about it.

It's the nicest green guitar color I've ever seen, I love it.

leviiathan_quilt_sour_appleburst_birdseye.jpg