Super Thin Maple Wonder!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've taken pics but I've been doing alot on it.

back.jpg

(See what I mean about the dark areas on the neck? The staining takes those out though. I've done oodles of tests.) Also the two sides of the body on the back look much more flowing after being stained. BTW the neck carve isint finalized yet. Thats why it's a little uneven in the pic. and the neck joint hasn't been finazed yet either...

Like my heel less neck joint? :D You can slide all the way up to the 24th fret.

headstock

Prety hot headstock eh? (and all the tuner holes are lined up :D )

since my last update I finished carving the neck, routed the pickup cavity (only a bridge pickup on this one for the figure to show), driled for the bridge and drilled for the controls.

All I have left to do is fret it, rout out the control cavity, and do some kind of carve and final sanding than finish it.

I weighed it and it weighs 3 1/2 pounds and balances perfectly. I was thinking of doing recessed strap locks to not lose the line of the body.

Shouldn't be to long now...

By the way, That body style is super comfterable to hold and it feels really good sitting down. Something that most electrics don't do well.

Edited by Godin SD

Another update.

I routed out the control cavity, drilled all the holes such as strap buttons, jack hole, and the hole for the pickup wires to pass into the control cavity.

I also finalized the carve of teh neck and started final sanding everything. All that I have left to do is fret it, final sand everything, and finish it.

You can see all my "tools of the trade" in this shot :D

Nice black fingerboard eh?

121.jpg

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

Just in case your wondering, the hole in the back where the neck pocket would be in pic 2 is teh strap button hole. I had to put it there SG style because of the way the horns are it wouldn't be comfterable for the strap to be anywhere else.

I think this one will sound really good because the wood is so thin. The tap tone sounds much better than other solid bodies because the wood is thin enough to auccually resonate enough to really help color the sound of the vibrating string.

so hopefully this one will sound good. Guess we'll have to wait and see :D

So what do you think guys? Any comments that could help me?

Edited by Godin SD

have u ever used that minwax finish before i was thinking of using it.  out of curiousaity id that stuff safe to touch for long periods of time once its dryed?

adam

I've finished 3 guitars in it and it's fine. Yes it's fine to touch for long peroids of time. It sits on a wall hanger where it's always touching the finish with the weight of the guitar on it and it's fine. It's no diffrent than a factory finish.

Quick question about the finish. On the back of the hedstock there are some grain markings I don't like so I wan't to cover up the back of the headstock and continuing onto the neck a little ways. Just like this guitar from Myka. Can I acheve results like that with black spray paint? If so do I use gloss black, matt black, or flat black? I've never done a burst and I'm not sure if the spray paint would blend in with the tiger eye stiain on the back of the neck.

Edited by Godin SD

Do you have a piece of wood you can veneer it with? Maybe stain it black. If you're not painting the rest of the guitar, I wouldn't just paint the back of the headstock. That seems kind of obvious(obviously a cover up, i mean) to me. On another note, why did Myka put a microphone in a guitar? I mean, why there?

You wouldn't want to know how I do it.  I suck at finishes.

Do a search to learn how the people who know what there doing do it.

hi i contacted minwax and they said there finish isnt a great choice for guitar finishing just thought id let ya know ill foward ya the email if u want.

Why did they say that?

Mabye somone should show them the four guitars I've done with it and the other forum members guitars that are done with it. :D

I was thinking I'd do a ebony veneer on the back of the headstock like myka does to alot of his guitars. I don't that would look like a cover up.

BTW heres a pic of it fretted. The fret ends arn't dressed yet.

124.jpg

pic2

Edited by Godin SD

You wouldn't want to know how I do it.  I suck at finishes.

Do a search to learn how the people who know what there doing do it.

hi i contacted minwax and they said there finish isnt a great choice for guitar finishing just thought id let ya know ill foward ya the email if u want.

they said some how effects the sound want the email?