The Snowcaster

Here's the story...

There was actually a ton of work on this guitar considering that I did not really build anything.

This started out with me just wanting a guitar with a Floyd because I have not had one in over 10 years. I was thinking about buying until I found a nice Floyd copy on ebay at a good price (new even!). I figured that I would install it on a traditional Tele body and a maple / ebony Carvin neck that I had laying around and I would just turn it into an ugly beater guitar. I soon realized that the bridge pickup route would interfere with the floyd rout so I decided to fill the bridge pickup route with a wood block and, well one thing led to another...

Here are the Specs:

- Heavily modified traditional Tele body. Painted with matte white.

- Floyd Rose licensed tremolo.

- Warmoth maple / maple paddle head neck w/ shaped reverse headstock, sprayed with white oak stain and Minwax Poly/Acrylic clear.

- White EMG 89 in the bridge position, White EMG SA in the middle position

- Custom laser cut pickup mounting rings and control plate cover made from high gloss white acrylic.

- Gotho lefty tuners

- Strat style jack located into Tele control plate.

Nothing all that original to be honest but this is really an incredibly visually striking instrument, I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

I don't have any good pictures yet (it seems to be really hard to get a good photo of it) but here is the illustration I did before I started the project. I will try to post post some photos in a few days. It's a little too late to change anything but wondering what you guys think.

snowcaster.jpg

Edited by tschommer

mightn't it look better if you cut a regular chrom Tele control plate to form to the top part of the strat jack, so that they appear like one big piece, like in the mock-up?

I never really intended to do that. I changed the mockup a little to make it more obvious. I work for a company that has a laser engraver and lots of different types of plastics so I always intended to make the control plate out of the same white acrylic as the pickup mounting rings. Having a chrome control plate would look cool but I like the way the glossy white plastic sets off the chrome knobs and switches.

It reminds me of one of Prince's "cloud" guitars.

I had that thought as well even when I was working on it though it was not intentional. I admire his talent but I'm not a big fan his. The company I work for had one of the cloud guitars in for some work (fret markers) long ago so maybe I was subliminally influenced then.

Wheres the Tele-gang to rip on that Trem?? I guess I'll do it for them:

SHAME on you!!

Yea! Where are they! I have been bracing myself for some criticism (I'm still waiting...) I also post over at the TDPRI and was thinking of showing some pictures just to see the reactions :D. It's funny how you could put 10 pickups on a strat and try to install a trem onto a headstock of a Strat and no one cares but if you even put a 6 saddle non-ferrous bridge plate on a Tele people freak out. Oh well.

Yea! Where are they!  I have been bracing myself for some criticism (I'm still waiting...) I also post over at the TDPRI and was thinking of showing some pictures just to see the reactions B).  It's funny how you could put 10 pickups on a strat and try to install a trem onto a headstock of a Strat and no one cares but if you even put a 6 saddle non-ferrous bridge plate on a Tele people freak out. Oh well.

There you go: Strat with a trem, but with a hardtail bridge for a nut! :D:D

Perhaps install a TOM at both ends of a LP, but people'd be DAMNED if they let you stand there and install anything but a 3 saddle Tele bridge or Bigsby on a Tele.

Edited by TeiscosRock

Looks good.  I really like the inlay at the 12th fret.  Why do you have pickups at the bridge and middle?  Why not bridge and neck?

No real reason I guess. I filled in the bridge pickup route and the hotdog route so I decided to fill the neck pup route in as well I then decided to move it just because I thought it might look cool. I also always liked the look of the Kramer Nightswan that had a humbucker in the middle and bridge. To be honest though pretty much every decision I made on this guitar were due more to aesthetics than function. I actually cringed when I ordered the EMG 89 because it has a copper colored hot foil stamp. It sounds pretty stupid but when you get a theme going sometimes you go overboard.