Which Tremolo?

I'm going to build my first guitar very soon and I'm trying to get all the supplies to do the job. I need to decide which type of tremolo to purchase. I would like to have a guitar with a tremolo similar to an floyd rose, but I've heard there are better tremolos out there. I just don't know which ones.

If anyone has any recomendations, I would love to hear them.

Also, I have thought about putting in a tonepros bridge similar to the gibson tunomatic bridge because it looks fairly easy. Just how hard is is to put in a tremolo? If it's too dificult, I'll go this route.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

SpotGtar :D

I don't think you'll find anything better than a floyd.

first thing you need to know is what you want in your trem. certain tonal qualities? simplicity? tuning stability?

If you're looking for tuning stability and simplicity I'd suggest the Floyd Rose. contrary to what people say it's not hard to re-string or set-up (seems to me that most guys who complain about it being a pain in the arse are the ones sending their guitars with vintage-style fender trems to a tech to have it intonated...)

I don't think you'll find anything better than a floyd.

thats depends on what type of music you play too. I play country and love dual-fulcrom (sp?) trems like on G&Ls because I don't use it much, so I have don't normally have the whammy bar in, and with a G&L trem you can just use you hand with hardly any effort.

I play mostly heavier rock although I'm getting more into blues and jazz. I definitely want tuning stability. I also want a tremolo that goes both ways, I've got an old strat with a one-way tremolo. Also, what do you think of the new floyd rose tremolo that requires special strings? :D

i like the lo pro and the original floyd.i prefer the press in type bar over the screw in though.(like the lo pro).and i have heard good things about the kahler flatmount although one is hard to find.the install on the flatmount is much easier and it allows you to leave more wood mass in the body(smaller rout)

i have used the tone pros and it is definately the easy install.four holes and you are done.great tone too but i prefer a trem.i always have a fixed bridge guitar around though for ease of tuning(when you want to figure out songs by ear)

I actually like hard tails, and I set my trems (when I have them) flush to the body to make them act like hard tails.

If I had to choose, I'd go with the vintage type tremolo system. But I'm an old fart and I like the tone of old systems.

If you are into heavy tremolo use and need to play it in that style, I'd have to suggest the Floyd or Lo Pro. Changing strings isn't that bad on them, as already mentioned. You get used to it. And there's no substitute for that slack string dive bombing you can do on them. :D

me personaly, i like the original floyds. they are pretty much the easiest and most tried and true. i like the edge stuff too, but still i think if i was going to build one, go floyd

• 11 months later...

I am wondering what to get aswel. I love TOMs with stop tailpiece and I dont want a floyd or any other floating bridge as I want to easily change tunings live and also quickly.

What would you suggest? I am considering the stop tail piece that stew mac sells but are they any good? Does it require much changing of the guitar?

How exactly does it fit on?

Thanks

Im also a fan of the wilkinson trems, the like the idea of the new floyd rose speedloaders but dont think its worth getting till the strings are more easily available... and i must admit i do love my Ibanez Lopro floyd rose but i dont really use it all that much so i would go with the wilkinson trem.

BigT

:D

LOL what about a Bigsby one? :D

i inherited my uncles old 40 year old hollow body with a bigsby style bridge and i don't really like it at all... it can't go up very much, to the dismay of my broken strings, and it gets the guitar out of tune when you dive bomB

Floyds are the best, originals especially(i've heard rumors that the new licesnsed ones don't stay in tune, but me and my friend vigorously tested my LFR and it seemed fine. those things have a huge range!)

overall its your playing style

Any thoughts on using a mustang tailpiece with a TOM?

What would bethebest nut and tuners to use with it to keep it in tune and how well does it keep in tune?

Ive read that they dont stay in tune very well (at all) if you use the vibrato. Would locking tuners solve his. If not what else would?

Ok so heres a few of the setups Im thinking about:

Nut: Graphite or roller

Tuners: Locking (which make) black.

Bridge: Schaller Roller TOM

Tailpiece: Mustang or Stop tailpiece with one of these

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailp...e_Tremolos.html

Which dp you think is better?

Thanks

Well seen as a topics already started about bridges...

I'm thinking of getting this for the guitar I'm going to make:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

Cant seem to figure whats the difference between a low profile and normal one? any info? also just cus it's licensed by floyd rose doesnt mean its gonna be good quality right? should I consider it at all...

or look around more UK sites trying to find decent but well priced parts?

Also got my eyes on a really nice 24 fret neck on ebay, hope I get it, will go really nicely with my first make if I can get it for a good price :D

Ok so I was on a guitar shop today and I was talking to the tech there and he recons I should go with a Bigsby and I found a bigsby that isnt quite as bulky as normal its the B500 model. I can also get it in black which was a diadvantage of the fender dynamyc vibrato. He also recons people dont use regular Mustang/jaguar bridges.

How do bigsbys cope with weird tuning?

Do they stay in tune?

Should I use a roller nut or a graphite nut?

Which one is better the bigsby or the stop tail piece with the vibrato built in?

if its an arch top, i would go with a roller bridge tom setup with a bigsby. anything else i would get the smaller bigsby. the kind that people use on solidbodies. if its an lp style arch top id get a tom and a les trem from stewmac. either way id use an earvana nut for strat style bridge and a graphite for bigsby or anything else. i always use locking tuners anyway, trem or not.

Just in case it makes a difference its a 1 3/4" SG.

So what your saying is that I should use a graphie nut with a bigsby? Ive heard good things about slip stone?

Im looking at this bigsby B500

Are grover locking tuners not better than the other tuners?