The "tang Top"

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thegarehanman, wow! Those pictures really do the guitar much more justice. I love your wood choices. That white rosewood fretboard is so cool, I can't even find words to do it justice. Where the heck can I get some of that?

Those sperzels rock too. I can't wait to use some on my next guitar build.

Blistering Barnacles! Holy sweet mother of pearl!

I take back what I have said before. I agree that it is much much better with those photography skills outside. Its not just 200% better, make that 500%!!!

Excellent...the perfling looks otstanding...the fretboard wood just shines and the black laminate making the lines on the neck and body are pro. Only thing that I personally don't think is my cup-a-tea is the pickguard. But still with or without it I am kinda jealous.

Shoot...12 GOTM entries...tough choices......we need a special GOTM with 1st, 2nd and 3rd places.

While I agree that the execution on this formidable design is undeniably laudable, and while each element in and of itself is a good idea, the whole picture just doesn't do it for me. It seems too busy, with all sorts of oddly contrasting elements. You use the white rosewood, a subtle and complex wood that could easily stand alone, but also add black MOP purfling; you have a top that is complex and stunningly executed, but then add busy knobs and a pickguard with linear patterning that detracts from the radial nature of the flame patterning; you have all sorts of beautiful, exotic woods, and then dye the top. It just seems that you had more ideas than anyone could successfully incorporate into one guitar, but tried to do it anyway.

Anyway, you certainly put a lot of work into it, and I applaud the quality of your workmanship. In general, I like your guitars; this one just doesn't do it for me. I look forward to the next one, though! :D

Nice to see some better pics... :D

The neck woods and all the little details are what suck me in. I also noticed with these photos that different angles make the guitar's shape more attractive...this is really something that may only be appreciated in person so to speak.

I think all the calls along the way were right. I really like the headstock detailing for instance. The fact that you can see the tuner fix is a shame, but would be far worse not to have fixed it. I can't wait to see another one, perhaps with a fruity top, it would look like you could peel a segment of flame maple from it and eat it...hehehe

As for the GOTM...yes, we should all beware, isn't there a limit of 10 in a poll. It may have to be divided and last time a lot of votes didn't get counted as people didn't vote in both catagories...plus, so many, how is one to decide....

pete

this guitar is actually the greatest DIY-guitar project i have ever seen. maybe even the best one i will ever see in my lifetime :D great work, awesome choose of wood, nice finishing and very cool concept. I like that youve tried something very different. keep up your good working attitude and head for the next project! :D

psw: I don't think there's a limit on entries in a poll since the software upgrade

blackz: Thanks a lot for the kind words. My next build isn't going to be a tang top, but I've got rough ideas for the next one or two tang tops. They should refine the details while still trying to be fairly outrageous.

peace,

russ

Nice work!

Reminds me a bit of a Rickenbacker 4001. I agree with most of the quibbles, but they are just quibbles.

The top looks great in the daylight. Does the figuring show through the black stain under stage lighting? My soloist used to be dark transparent "eggplant blue" over quilted maple, but it was so dark that most people assumed it was black, and the figuring wasn't apparent unless you were close up.

Have you used the recesssed straplocks before? I've been considering them, but I'm concerned about the possibility of the strap rubbing against the finish and marring it over time. Is that even an issue?

Overall an excellent build :D

Mike

This is my first time using the recessed straplocks. I think they should have enough clearence to avoid marring the finish. Even if they do scuff it up, it doesn't bother me. The only time I really want a guitar to look pristine is right when it's completed. After that, I spend the rest of the time gigging with it and adding character. I have no clue(yet) whether or not stage lighting compliments the figuring.

Russ, congratulations on this guitar. It was an interesting build with some innovative aspects and nice features. I'm glad that you say it plays well and sounds good. It is not a guitar that evokes ambivalence and that is a good thing in my book, especially on this site where many people are trying to create something for themselves. However each individual takes it, it is likely to influence them one way or the other.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking at the "Tang Top" in the GOTM and trying to figure out how you came up with the name.

Finally, I took the time to read some of the posts on it so I now see the TankTop / TangTop thing.

But, if it is to resemble a girls Tank Top shouldn't it be configured like this?

tangtop.jpg

Sorry, I had some free-time and had the idea to play with the pickup configuration.

Seriously, I really like the sectioned top wood, makes for a unique look.

Be Cool,

d ward

I think that pickup arrangement calls for a double neck. Actually, someone had recomended I add nipples. If I ever have much too much free time, I might do a top w/ a special carve that more appropriately fits the title :D, and maybe I'll even carve a butt into the back. I've seen a tele w/ the butt mod before; I wish I new where the pic was though.

thanks,

russ