Another Guitar Design...

Okay, so some of you may remember me posting a thread about my planned guitar build that never got off the ground. Well, since I still have free time sitting around in university lectures, I've never really stopped revising it. It's undergone a couple radical revisions and constant streamlining, and it eventually ended up like this:

oct05guitardesign.jpg

Original design (from January)

I've recently found out that the good friend of a good friend (who I know decently well) has built himself a fairly extensive woodshop recently. I asked the friend to inquire as to whether I could rent use of it or something, and possibly get some advice since the guy is quite good with woodworking.

Anyways, mindful of my inexperience, I have two plans for this guitar... one pretty extravagant and one more realistic.

Extravagant:

-Neck-through construction (Maple with thin wenge laminates, flame maple laminate on body area of neck-through)

-Alder body wings

-Unsure on the 1/4" top... either flame maple or cocobolo

-Headstock laminate matching the body

-With flame maple top, ebony fretboard, with cocobolo, pau ferro

-With flame maple top, stained faux binding, white binding on the fretboard/headstock, with cocobolo, white binding on the body/fretboard/headstock

-String-through hardtail

-25.5" scale length, 24 frets with a curved fretboard extension for 25 on the low E and 27 on the high E (picture is misleading here)

-Single EMG 81 bridge pickup

-Single volume knob

-With flame maple top, bluish/grey trans finish. With cocobolo, all natural.

-Inlays at 12th and 24th frets

Realistic:

-Premade carvin neck-through, maple with a blank ebony board

-Alder wings

-Maybe a mahogany top, or flame maple if I feel confident.

-Other specs the same

So, much like last time, I sure as hell can't make any promises for pictures of this completed build. I honestly have no idea if I'll do it, but I'd sure like to at least try the realistic one if I can!

I do admit the extravagant one sounds much nicer lol, but I guess that's the point. However, for someone that doesn't like pointy guitars and would never build one, this looks nice. I'm particularly fond of the upper horn and how it kinda "bends up" at the point to point up, which you don't see often.

Chris

PS: Where you go to university? I'm a UMiami brat.

Edited by verhoevenc

That's cool! I'm building something VERY similar as we speak. I've already done a proto out of pine (to use as my pickup tester guitar) and it's very ergonomic. Who knew construction grade pine sounded so good?

KOMODO :D

In order to simplify the scope, I think I'll definitely use the carvin neck through... my current plan is the maple carvin neck-through blank, alder sides, and a 1/4" mahogany top. I'll do some sort of light brown stain on the back/sides, and if I can pull it off a warm blue/turquoise sort of colour on the top. If I feel up to it, I'd also bind the body with cream binding.

I still haven't heard back on the woodshop question, but I have been scouring eBay for wood like a dork. If I'm just getting alder/mahogany, though, I can probably find something local.

I like it!

I'm not too sure what mailman means about the upper horn getting in the way assuming that the strap will be anchored in the traditional place there at the end of it. The only problem I see is that it may be a little long to retain a good balance. Maybe bring in the horn an inch. For best balance you would want the upper horn to end around the 12th fret usually. Well, at least that's the rule of thump (i.e basses) :D

The only thing I'm not sure I like is the knob placement. That part of the body is already pretty narrow and I think it would look better if the knob was moved closer to the bridge. Of course, this is just my opinion. A flame maple knob would look cool too! I might also round out the bit at the bottom too just because when it's sharp like that it calls more attention to itself than I think it needs for good flow.

All in all, that is a really cool design! Can't wait to see it built!

Edited by Bassisgreat

It's a nice modern bass design. The controls (IMO) need to be out of the way while playing. The upper horn is strung out a bit, but that long upper horn design is real nice for balanace. It seems to shift the base while playing (moving you into a better position for slap and finger style. Looks really nice. BUILD IT! :D

Best of luck with the project, Rich

Well, this topic will probably die for a couple months then. I've been granted use of that woodshop, but not right now - in a "month or two". So I'll probably start buying parts bit by bit, paycheque to paycheque, so I don't have to buy it all at once when the time comes.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

If I were building it, I would also add a bit more meat at the narrowest part of the body.

There is a bass builder in France who builds basses with a similar design. They are awesome! www.jpbasses.com

It will be cool to see a guitar with a similar (but still unique in it's own right!) style!

Like Fryovanni said - BUILD IT!

Edited by Bassisgreat

Okay, so I'm still waiting on woodshop access... so I've been pricing out all the parts and fine-tuning design elements.

I think I'm gonna go with maple carvin neckthrough, alder wings, and a black limba top (probably with black binding), and a clear finish, possibly with a light brown tint. I've also decided I want the body to be pretty thin and light... probably not more than 1.5" thick, with 1/4" of that being the limba top. I want a light, intense guitar.

Also, I've decided on a wiring scheme: 2 knobs, 1 3-way switch. Volume knob, and a tone control that acts only when the 3-way switch is in one position. The other two positions would be a the direct signal without the tone control and a killswitch.

I'm gonna make some tracings of my RG for reference and try to get started on a plywood template to work on exact dimensions.

• 3 months later...

So, I'm gonna bump this thread rather than start another one... and I know it's ridiculous that i still haven't built anything. Extra classes and mounds of debt will get to you.

But anyways, I'm hoping to try to pull off a build this summer, still, once I have a steady large paycheque again. As always, my designs for 'the guitar I want to build' change perpetually (in fact, a couple weeks ago, I was dead set on building a custom V!)

I scanned this one and traced an image of an Ibanez RG in Fireworks for neck/fret dimensions and bridge placement. I then made a tracing of my scan, fit it to size, and tweaked it to suit.

newestdesign.gif

The specs I'd like to try are:

-Alder body, fairly thin: 1 1/4"

-Thin ebony (or similar dark contrasting wood) 1/8" laminate

-Black limba top, 1/4".

>The body would be carved to expose the ebony where it's indicated in the image.

-Bolt on Maple neck, possibly with a thin ebony laminate in the centre.

-Bound ebony fretboard, maple with a thin line of ebony purfling, no inlays on fretboard. Maybe a single one on the 12th fret.

-Ideally matching headstock, also bound

-Ebony pickup cover, oversized to cover mounting ears as indicated

Hardware/Electronics:

-Strat-style hardtail bridge, black

-EMG 81 pickup (I have a spare one)

-One 3-way selector, one volume, one tone

>The 3 way would work like this: Tone control bypassed, killswitch, tone control engaged.

Tell me what you guys think!