tom anderson guitars

so i heard that they take every guitar they build and before putting a finish on it they string it up, put it in a room around 50 deg for a few days, then put it in a room around 100 deg for a few days, supposedly to let the wood "do its thing" and then they finish it. it sounds like a great idea! i think im gonna try it.

with all acoustics I build, once the basic body "box" is built and bound, but before finish sanding, I set it aside in natural air for one month. Once it's sprayed, I let it sit another 15 days before polishing to let the wood "do it's thing" I got this tip from Larrivee about acoustics, makes sense with an electric, but I don't know how much time it really would need.

I could just leave a guitar outside here (Phoenix) for a few days. We just had the hottest month of July here in over 100 years. I think we hit 119 at one point and it hasn't gone down too much yet. It's worth going through all the heat when February rolls around and its 82 and sunny. :D

Is the idea to actually force the wood to move? I was always under the impression that would is constantly able to move - meaning if you force it to move one year, that wouldn't mean that it couldn't move the next. I guess what I am wondering is - what is the purpose of doing this? If it is to see what happens, that's fine, but if it is to prevent something from happening, I don't understand how that's possible. Any idea how much value this has, or what it's real purpose is?

It does seem a little hot, but putting the guitar in a cold place and then a hot place makes no sense to me. I could be very wrong though.... I guess Rye knows, so please, tell us.

well im not saying this is a fact, its just what i heard. but think about it like this, i dont know were tom A is located but say ha is in california, his rooms are all kept at 80 deg f. with the proper humidtity. then he has an order for a guitar in PA. and the guitar will be shipped during the winter were its 20 deg.f. thats a big tempature change and if tom does this process then it would in my opinion protect the guitar. and the same goes for a guitar going to arizona or something!

unless you never gig or take your guitar out of its house then you dont need to worry but i have mine on the road every week and it gets pretty ugly sometimes!

maybe someone can contact tom and find out if this is a accual process he does. im just the messenger so dont shoot me! :D

as i understand it once the wood is properly dried then it has stabilized,but then you have to put a finish on it to keep moisture out as the humidity of the air can do bad things too.excess heat can cause glue joints to fail and warp thinner pieces of wood(like acoustic tops),but moisture is what really does damage.

well im not saying this is a fact, its just what i heard. but think about it like this, i dont know were tom A is located  but say ha is in california, his rooms are all kept at 80 deg f.  with the proper humidtity. then he has an order for a guitar in PA. and the guitar will be shipped during the winter were its 20 deg.f. thats a big tempature change and if tom does this process then it would in my opinion protect the guitar.  and the same goes for a guitar going to arizona or something!

unless you never gig or take your guitar out of its house then you dont need to worry  but i have mine on the road every week and it gets pretty ugly sometimes! 

maybe someone can contact tom and find out if this is a accual process he does. im just the messenger so dont shoot me! :D

Like I said, Tom doesnt do this!

He just drys his wood like we all do (before it is painted)

After the neck is rough cut it sits for a month to do what it is going to do before leveling the fingerboard.

After the guitar is built it sits in the case over the weekend and the truss rod is readjusted before shipped the following week.

Best to build using wood that is 5% with a good moisture meter

Never let it dry out too quickly or you'll crack the wood.

John Suhr