Alternate Tunings

unclej

i don't do a lot in alternate tunings..i've written a couple of things in drop d and double drop d but that's about it. the other day i came accross one that you should try if you haven't already..dadfad..it's an open tuning and real louisiana swampy sounding. i haven't figured out a bunch of chord fingerings yet but it lends itself to some great leads. gonna tune up one of my slide guitars with it soon and see how that works..anyway, try it if you haven't before.

The powertab tuning dictonary calls it "cross note", its just a variant on the D modal tuning. DADDAD is good for lap steel rock with the unison d's, I think Ben Harper uses it with variants alot, could be what your using. There are certianly some cool tunings out there.

Edit : It's apparently D minor tuning.

Edited by Mr Alex

Yeah, it's D minor. D being the root, A being the 5th, and F being the minor 3rd. It makes for a real spooky slide sound. Totally cool.

Another similar tuning is DADGAD, just jack that F up a whole step. In that one, the ADG strings are all the same as standard tuning, and the other 3 strings are just dropped a whole step. Michael Hedges and others are known for using this one.

This kinda stuff is what I use to get out of a rut.

i don't do a lot in alternate tunings..i've written a couple of things in drop d and double drop d but that's about it. 

What in the world is double drop-d?

drop the high and low e's to d. everything else stays the same. black water by the doobie brothers is done in double drop d.

My teacher tells me I'm going to love open tuning...that it really matches the music I want to make, and my style of playing...

But that's a whole new kettle of fish...we'll get to that next year...

In the meantime, I'm thinking of setting up one of my guitars for that anyway...can anyone point me to a site that will get me started-- like one with the tuning, the chord and maybe some practice riffs and songs?