Some New Guitars For Me

Scott Rosenberger

On Thanksgiving my friend Andy lost his battle with Gastrointestinal Cancer. I've known him through work for the last 14 years. He was a bit of a strange guy on the outside but once you talked to him you realized what a great person you were talking to. We both shared interest in guitars which he owned alot of. We'll apparently I made an inpression of some sort on him over the years because his parents notified me that i was written into his will and received the 3 Favorite guitars he had, an '03 PRS Singlecut Trem Raspberry "10" top a '99 PRS McCarty Purple "10" Top and the Brand new Carvin Carved top that I helped him Spec before he ordered it. The Carvin (in the Middle) has a Special Order Koa Body and Neck and a monster Sausage Quilt top. Anyhow I'm still pretty upset/amazed so Here's a pic for now I'll be back later

3new.JPG

Edited by Scott Rosenberger

Well I must say I am sorry that you lost such a good friend and that everyone lost such a great person. I think by the fact that he took the time to think about that(you/guitars) shows what a great and caring individual he was. Also he seems to have a supreme quality in taste for guitars, that carvin one makes my mouth water!! Thanks for sharing your loss and gain, of course there is no way that trade is worth it but at least you know he enjoyed having you as a friend and thought about you when he knew he was leaving. So RIP Andy. It's very good of you to share that with us, I'm sure it wasn't easy. Take it easy Scott. Jason

Sorry about your loss Scott. I've lost a few musician friends along the way myself. I guess Andy wanted to make sure that his guitars were going to a good home. No Last Will and Testament means that the gov't can come in and legally seize everything, something to remember. I shudder when I think of my guitars winding up in the hands of people who know nothing about them.

Edited by Southpa

Sorry to hear about your loss, sounds like you had a good friend there.

I had a similar thing happen to a good friend of mine, sent Home on the way back from a gig by a drunk driver who crossed an interstate median. The year before we had traded our "first guitars" (my Sears LP copy for his Mana jazz bass copy), that bass is the best POS guitar I own. Now I'm using it to teach my son to play.

Scott, my sincerest condolences on the loss of your friend, and my prayers go out to his friends and family. I've had to bury too many of my own friends, so I can empathize. I'm sure your friend wanted someone to take care of those axes, and especially wanted someone to play them, so it is a great responsibility you have been given. But I'm sure he felt you were up to it, and there is no doubt a good reason why he chose you. May you never be forced to part with them.

I'm the sentimental type. I like to think that the guitars I've owned have all been imparted with a little bit of me, just as all the used guitars I've owned have been imparted with their previous owners. So when you play those guitars, a certain part of your friend still lives on in the memories you have of him, the things he left behind for his friends, and the impact that knowing and losing him will have on your playing. Knowing the connection musicians make with their favorite instruments, I'm sure his soul will rest easy knowing that his favorite guitars are in capable and caring hands.

GBT

I gotta +1 on that "musicians create a bond with each other" Texas brought up. It's true, throughout my life a majority of my friends have played, or I have sparked them to play or vice versa. So in my eyes it's a GIVEN that musicians just have this bond with each other. And the fact that he put forward the time to say "THIS is the musician that I want to continue to carry these guitars" says alot!

Chris

IM sorry to hear about your friend, i recently lost 2 of my friends in a car crash. Its always nice to know your freinds think about you, and to have them leave some damn nice guitars for you, i can only imagine how that must feel. Pretty mixed up is the only way i can describe it. Play thoes guitars well, and everytime you look at them remember how much you meant to your friend, and how much he means to you.

You know, it's strange. A year ago, in my final year of law school, my Trusts and Estates professor had us write up sample wills for ourselves. I sort of joked around with mine a little at first, and then I came to the actual possessions that I own and no creditor or agency could take from me--my guitars. I specifically devised each of my instruments to a friend or someone who really influenced me and my playing style. I thought it was really dumb at the time, but now I kind of see how that can really be a good decision.

I'd rather have my Les Paul with a friend who'll appreciate it, rather than getting beat up on the wall in a Guitar Center.