Blue Quilt Top Explorer

Sorry about the pic size guys. Thanks, Maiden for making the change. The final pic will be smaller.

Yeah, Deft is Lacquer spray. I have always brushed on in the past with thick layers, but this is so much easier to spray thin layers. I got a way more consistent finish that way.

The stop tail piece and bridge come off my busted Explorer (another post, decided not to salvage). I am using a push pull pot for pickup switching between the bridge or neck, and I prefer a chrome knob.

I didn't use any black before the blue, but what I found worked the best was to dab the wet rag with a few drops of straight Colortone liquid stain right from the bottle and rub it in the body. It dried and then I sanded back and repeated a couple of times until I got the layers I wanted. I wanted a blue as dark as possible. I also referred to Myka's posts on how he got his blue quilt look on his amazing guitar.

Explorer is done, strung up, plays great. The combo of the Bill Lawrence bridge and '59 neck is well balanced.

The only thing I had to sacrifice was making the arm rest area wing less of an angle or more narrow due to the piece of quilt maple I had not being quite wide enough. It's not that noticeable, but yet you can still tell a little.

The glare got a little pixilated due to shrinking the pic file size. The finish is awesome.

fullexp.jpg

expside.jpg