Wooden Pickguard

I was thinking of perhaps having a pickguard made of wood on my project. Perhaps something like spruce or another tonewood. I was just toying with the idea. It would also possibly help when I paint it.

What do you guys think, good idea or bad idea

I think its a cool idea. I've seen a few guitars that have with a wood pickguard. I think it looks good but I guess it also depends on the overall theme of the guitar.

While the things a bassist finds attractive and the things a guitarist finds attractive are two totally different things, I absolutely love them. I made one not long ago as a test for the basses I'm currently building. While I didn't have problems with splitting, warpage was a problem. I found that making it from 2 pieces with opposite grain orientation helped a lot.

I also have to ask, why would you make a guard from wood and then paint it?

Edited by Cerb

I bought one made out of wenge for my telecaster....looks great, but you have to be really careful around the screw holes (i.e., don't screw it down too hard).

But because it's wood, it's twice as thick as a normal pickguard, and it just doesn't fit well --my pick kept hitting the guard and became too annoying to play.

This might not be a problem for you, depending on your picking style.

But because it's wood, it's twice as thick as a normal pickguard, and it just doesn't fit well --my pick kept hitting the guard and became too annoying to play.

As Nitefly suggests,

you could route out a place for the pickguard, so say you make it 5mm thick only 2mm would show.
. Heck you could flush fit it too as seen on the Super Avianti.

P.S. Lovely avatar. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I made this one a long time ago out of about 7 pieces of oak flooring scrap.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/soa...akguard3061.jpg

I didn't use a template, because I didn't have one. I didn't even have a real strat guard to work off of, I just looked at photos and "winged it".

But it's actually a reject because the neck single coil is a little too far to either the treble or bass side (can't remember which). But it was on a guitar for several years.

Next one I make will probably be out of pine, fir or redwood. If those woods are good enough for an acoustic top, they're surely good enough for a replaceable part of an electric guitar (I don't really use my pick as a shovel to dig holes in the guitar anyway). I'll also probably use wax for the finish, if I finish at all. I used watco oil on that oak one, and think it really dulls any wood tone it would otherwise have, especially being under 1/8' thick.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/zyo...ld/100_0365.jpg

I made one out of spalted burch for this Spalted top guitar. Being that a guard is thin you'll want to hardcoat it to keep it from warping. I had one made fo ebony and it folded its self into a tube shape. I just shot this one with a little flat nitro and it turned out killer.